PDA

View Full Version : Important for all cms: Ofsted new culture of fear and why it is dangerous

Simona
19-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Kids Allowed are heavily involved in the campaign to start the #OfstedBigDiscussion linked to June O'Sullivan blog which came out today
Is the current Ofsted strategy masking something far more sinister? | June O'Sullivan's blog | London Early Year's Foundation (http://www.leyf.org.uk/blog/is-the-current-ofsted-strategy-masking-something-far-more-sinister/)

5 meetings are organised all over the country to bring ALL providers together including cms....this is everyone campaign and the EY sector is united in wanting to find a way forward by positive engagement

As cms we do have issues with Ofsted new regime of inspections and Kids Allowed put it very clearly;

''In other words, no provider in the land can at this moment in time be certain that 100% of its paperwork is 100% accurate. We are a service provider based on human beings who are not perfect and the consequences of Ofsted and its new big stick approach to any provider is unthinkable'' (end)

I can identify myself in that statement...can you?
can you be sure that you will not get that knock on your door because someone has complained about you?
why?
who are they?
what is the complaint about?
will you be downgraded?
are you confident you have the required paperwork and evidence of good practice?

If you feel that way and want to be heard please join in this important campaign to get Ofsted to come to the table and engage in positive discussions with the sector

I am going to the meeting on the 13 Sept.............but it is not one cm that will make a difference...it is all of us together

Read Kids Allowed blog and judge for yourself
Ofsted, their new culture of fear, and why it is dangerous for children. (http://www.kidsallowed.com/social/ofsted-their-new-culture-of-fear-and-why-it-is-dangerous-for-children/)

More info on the Nursery World article
Sector organises meetings for 'Ofsted Big Conversation' | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1207935/sector-organises-meetings-ofsted-big-conversation?utm_medium=linkedin)

FloraDora
20-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Good morning, another good pointer thanks.

I wonder that the answers will probably be - that is why we are moving towards agencies!

The agencies will do follow up from complaints- just like the LA used to.

From what I understand not all childminders will be inspected under the agency system - the agencies will be inspected.

My concern is the unknown, what will happen to those that stay independent. My contacts say that OFSTED want to offload childminders as it is too expensive so reforms will be in the light off this, which hopefully means lighter touch.

I will definately try to get to a meeting if we haven't heard anything further beforehand, perhaps this will push their hand to let us all know details of future system?

Simona
20-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Yes that has been very obvious...we are expensive to register and inspect BUT why has our suggestion we have our registration fee reviewed to meet costs , not been considered at all and Wilshaw pushes for agencies?

LAs can now become agencies and register us saving Ofsted a lot of money then Ofsted inspects a few cms and save millions

But inspecting cms should and MUST remain Ofsted's remit and no one else's...however cms too are worried about inspections and we must speak up

Attending these meetings means agencies will pop up in the discussions and I will make sure the subject is noted...I do not want to brag about it but I have spent a lot of time communicating with June O'Sullivan and Jenny of Kids Allowed and suggested that meeting would be the way forward to 'engage positively with Ofsted'

We are included and we must make the effort to attend or, at least, engage with the group

This is not one cm's campaign... it is for independent cms to be heard

I am sure that Sarah will endorse what I am saying as I have exchanged information with her

If you cannot attend a meeting or arrange your own please feedback your concerns/experiences and I will take them to the meeting

With or without them, with or without your support I will attend on the 13th Sept and be proactive in this campaign...I hope you will back me

I don't want to speak for myself ...I would like to go and speak for those cms in this forum who care and are worried about Ofsted and its rather worrying stance!

We were together in raising concernsabout funding for 2, 3 and 4 yo and the issue has now been brought out in the open...lets be together in this.

jadavi
20-08-2013, 07:19 AM
My LA says agencies have to be small and local and she doesn't think the LAs will be able to do it is they are too big.

Simona
20-08-2013, 07:34 AM
These meetings are not about agencies...they are about the concerns raised at the sudden increase of inspections triggered by complaints and often downgrading

I am sure agencies will be in the discussion
LAs would be small and able to do exactly what an agency needs to do BUT why would an LA be interested in supporting cms now as an agency when it was their duty to support us before but some did not?

hectors house
20-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Do you have a list of venues and dates for these meetings - sorry if posted already?

Also I just wondered if while so many important things are happening at the moment and so many members are on holiday if we could have an important "sticky" of the week, that people could check out when they get back from holiday as it takes so long to read all posts from the previous week or fortnight. Maybe people could just post as normal and the moderators decide what could go into the "weekly sticky"?

Simona
20-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Do you have a list of venues and dates for these meetings - sorry if posted already?

Also I just wondered if while so many important things are happening at the moment and so many members are on holiday if we could have an important "sticky" of the week, that people could check out when they get back from holiday as it takes so long to read all posts from the previous week or fortnight. Maybe people could just post as normal and the moderators decide what could go into the "weekly sticky"?

It is in the blog...I am going to the London one which is set up by June O'Sullivan herself

hectors house
20-08-2013, 08:28 AM
It is in the blog...I am going to the London one which is set up by June O'Sullivan herself

Found it thank you - unfortunately I am working on the Friday and have a nephew's wedding on the Saturday - I guess the Worcester one would have been the one I could have attended - will share with our Independent childminding network.

AgentTink
20-08-2013, 09:26 AM
It's so typical..the chance to atend something in the North West and i am already booked on First aid course :(

I will make sure to read through the proposed questions and get some answers together. :thumbsup:

Simona
20-08-2013, 09:54 AM
PLA have just announced they will attend the London meeting on 13 Sept... exactly what cms needed: support and inclusion!

lizann
20-08-2013, 03:17 PM
would some one be able to keep me informed please? I go away on the 10th sept for 2 weeks so wont be around(a long over due holiday ):blush:

sarah707
20-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I fully agree with what Simona is saying - we have been saying it for a long time!!

Ofsted have taken agin us for some reason and we have to open up a dialogue and get them talking about it.

I wrote to them recently and encouraged other cms to write too. Did you ?? :D

Childminder letter to Ofsted - (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/1/post/2013/08/childminder-letter-to-ofsted.html)

Simona
21-08-2013, 10:58 AM
I know we have 2 threads on this but hope all cms get to understand what is happening and why #OfstedBigQuestion meetings are being organized...this is for all cms as well not just preschools and nurseries...so join in

Pre-School Learning Alliance requests Ofsted data on inspection outcomes | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1208140/pre-school-learning-alliance-requests-ofsted-data-inspection-outcomes)

We hope pacey will join in too