PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to make it a success?

Kidston
18-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Once im registered and all set up will it be difficult for me to get children in and and make the business a success?

I wanted to do this so much but im so worried the risk I will take wont pay off. For me to childmind we will need to move to a bigger house which as we rent will obviously mean more rent a month. We can manage on a tighter budget until I am registered and then all I will need to do is get one child in 3 days a week for us to be ok and survive. Any other children I would get would be a bonus. Im just so scared if to take the risk or not as im so scared of failing. I would hate to spend all this money setting up only for only a few months later it not be good enough have got no placements be struggling financial.
Do you hear of many people who set up who dont make a success of it?
Did a lot of you have to take a risk to set up?

Rick
18-08-2013, 07:33 AM
No one can obviously tell you if it will work out but I would have thought you ought to be able to get the equivalent of one child on three days.

You can do your research now. How many childminders live near you or your new place? If there is a demand in your area chances are you will get enough parents to sign up. Phone your local authority's family information service who should be able to tell you which areas are short of childminders and which are over subscribed.

Financially, you will have to spend initially for some resources and paperwork. The process can take a few months too. Have a look at this thread about how to become a childminder. There is a lot if hard work and paperwork to do before your inspection and subsequent registration.

I have heard of one or two who are struggling but if your attitude is right and are reasonably confident talking to people you should be able to sell yourself to parents. I'm a male childminder and I have managed to make it work.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

Good luck because it is a very rewarding profession :thumbsup:

unalindura77
18-08-2013, 07:39 AM
This made me laugh, 7 am Sunday morning question!:idea:

This does that to you though as you have to think about it so much. My home is a 2 bed split level flat, I had two people on my waiting list for September before I even had my Ofsted inspection.

If all you need to get started is one child 3 days a week, go for it. When you have more business you can look in to moving with a good reputation and references behind you as well as some savings.

Good luck and you will find lots of inspiration here!:thumbsup:

michellem
18-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi i am newly registered - got my certificate through the end of July. I had all the same fears as i had to give up a full time job to start my childminding but badly wanted to do it as wanted to be at home with my own children. I am 4 weeks in and can honestly say it is the best decision i have made. I started advertising before my certificate arrived and had 3 children lined up to start as soon as i received my certificate - I couldn't believe it. I didn't plan on starting until September but due to the demand i started straight away. My husband is now completing his first aid course so he can become my assistant (he works in the evenings so helps out during the day) as we have 3 more children wanting to sign up. I honestly didn't expect to have any children for the first few months so i am very happy and it feels so good for people to come and see me and choose me over other childminders, i must be doing something right as there are alot of childminders around me with places available! I would so go for it, something i would definitely recommend is registering on childcare.co.uk, it might seem expensive but all of my children have come from there so well worth the money!

It is hard work but i am so happy i took the chance as i am now able to be at home with my children and earning alot more money than i was working in a full time job.

Hope to help xx

dawntom
18-08-2013, 03:49 PM
So glad you asked this question. I am in the same boat, worried I have put all this effort and money into it only to come out worse off. I suppose it is the risk we have to take for our families. People have said to me it can take months to get children on your books and others say they get them straight away. I am hoping the latter as I really can't afford to not be paid for a long time. But it is differenty a risk I am going to take. :panic:
Good Luck with your decision :)

Samijanec
18-08-2013, 05:21 PM
I think it depends on where you are and what the demand is in your area.

I started last Oct and instantly I had two children three days a week and one after schooler. It's stayed like that until this holidays where suddenly I am full to the rafters. I have one full time, one three days a week, my own three year old and three after schoolers, I use the other two days I have for my community childminding which I love..
I'm in Aberdeen and the employment rate is is one of the lowest in the Uk, I'm also city centre so that helps.

It might take time but Im sure you'll be fine. Good luck and enjoy your new vocation! Xx