PDA

View Full Version : I just had to send my 12 month old mindee home

venus89
11-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I had no idea how bad it would make me feel! She's been off colour the last 2 days - Mum dashed her to hospital on Monday night after she threw up and was screaming her head of, and seemed to be having breathing problems. Drs reckoned she'd been overeating! But that meant she had her 2nd late night on the trot and is teething too. She's been v quiet this morning then after unsettled nap woke up with hot head, bright red cheeks, white around the mouth and eyes, crying, making funny little grunting noises. Then she drank 1 1/2 beakers of water in about 10 minutes - she'd normally drink less than that in a 9 hour day here. Didn't want to eat, just sat on the sofa clutching her sleeping bag. So after 1/2 hour I took an executive decision and phoned Mum, who's just picked her up.
Mum was fine about collecting her - I've never sent her home before so she knows I was worried.

Do you always sit there afterwards wondering if you ought to have looked after the child? I only had her so I could have done - in fact I might have done if it wasn't for the water drinking but that worried me and I didn't want to give her more but equally I'm not really in a position to refuse her a drink.

Silverrose
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
U did the perfect right move, if she had got really bad in ur care, it'll of been on ur head, not wise. when a child is ill mum is defently the best person to be with, always. sorry to hear about littlen sounds like she got something mean. hope she's well really soon. peace

sarah707
11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
You have done exactly the right thing!

Now... how are you going to piffle away your free time?? :D

Twinkles
11-07-2008, 12:27 PM
I think you did the right thing too , it sounds like she needs to see a dr again.

venus89
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
You have done exactly the right thing!

Now... how are you going to piffle away your free time?? :D

Let me see.... I have 11/2 hours before I pick the kids up from school, and it's now officially the weekend. I need to do the washing, pay my cheques into the bank (wonderful Mummy of mindee paid up without being asked, full amount, no probs :clapping: ), I should really cook up a nice dinner as hubby away on business tonight. Tidying away the toys and un childminding my house is also an option....

And what am I doing? Faffing on the Childminding forum and Facebook and drinking a well earned glass of rather nice red wine (well, it's been a mean old week, and a good week, all rolled into one!). The jobs can wait :D

crazybones
11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
How unfair! I have to wait ages for my bottle of wine. Curtesy (?sp) of my lovely friend Avril in return for a favour. Entirely unecessary but will be gratefully drunk later. Enjoy yours.

venus89
11-07-2008, 12:32 PM
How unfair! I have to wait ages for my bottle of wine. Curtesy (?sp) of my lovely friend Avril in return for a favour. Entirely unecessary but will be gratefully drunk later. Enjoy yours.

You enjoy yours too :D
A bottle hmmm..... now there's an idea....... Lol

foxy lady
11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Let me see.... I have 11/2 hours before I pick the kids up from school, and it's now officially the weekend. I need to do the washing, pay my cheques into the bank (wonderful Mummy of mindee paid up without being asked, full amount, no probs :clapping: ), I should really cook up a nice dinner as hubby away on business tonight. Tidying away the toys and un childminding my house is also an option....

And what am I doing? Faffing on the Childminding forum and Facebook and drinking a well earned glass of rather nice red wine (well, it's been a mean old week, and a good week, all rolled into one!). The jobs can wait :D

ha ha thats my girl, good on you

miffy
11-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Enjoy your wine :)

You did the right thing sending the little one home - hope mum takes her back to the drs.

Have a good weekend

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
11-07-2008, 07:10 PM
You did the right thing - I have felt guilty on the odd occasion I have had to call a parent out of work (especially if it is a quite day for you), but at the end of the day the best place for a sick child is at home with a parent, and you would never forgive yourself if you didn't ring and the child became really ill!!!

So stop worrying, open that bottle and have a lovely week-end!:thumbsup: By the way I hope the little one is OK!

kindredspirits
11-07-2008, 07:45 PM
i wouldn't worry - any mum worth their salts wants to be with their LO when their ill. hope you enjoyed your wine! :)

Chell
11-07-2008, 07:51 PM
You did the right thing, if it was my child then I would have wanted you to call me. I'd have been upset if you hadn't.

venus89
11-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Thank you all x
I did feel bad calling Mum, especially as she's a teacher, but she agreed little one not right and said she'd rather I'd called. But it's tough making that decision

Heaven Scent
11-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes you did the right thing - yes maybe you could have looked after her for another couple of hours and she might have been fine or on the other hand she may have been so inwardly distressed because she wasn't with her mummy she could have appeared worse, or thirdly she could have got much much worse very suddenly and you could have found yourself in the firing line for all sorts of accusations. Its best to always call parents the children are their ultimate responsibility at the end of the day - If they refuse to come to collect then you are free of all blame and they are then in the firing line - in that case always record time of call/s and what they said and if your phone bill is itemised then it is also your witness that the calls were made.

When you think of it this way and the possible backlash on your family you will now feel that you had nothing to feel guilty for.

Donkey
11-07-2008, 08:57 PM
yeah you did the right thing, babies need their mums when they are ill!