View Full Version : Morton Michel Insurance-does it cover child in care of another adult in emergency?

17-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi All,

I have my registration visit from Ofsted on Tuesday and am chewing over which company to get insurance with. Does anyone out there know if the Morton Michel Insurance policy for childminders covers children in the care of another adult incase of an emergency?



18-08-2013, 07:07 AM
The other cm's insurance would cover that not yours! :D

christine e
18-08-2013, 08:18 AM
The other cm's insurance would cover that not yours! :D

Sarah the pacey pli does state that childminders are covered if they have to leave children in the care of another adult in the event of an emergency - have copied and pasted below a statement of their insurance factsheet

In addition the PLI also covers you for:

reimbursement of pre-authorised legal costs and expenses relating to an insured incident
giving professional advice and guidance to parents/guardians in relation to children in your care provided there is no separate fee paid for the advice
leaving children in the care of another adult during an emergency
caring for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (aged 17 or under)
attending and running exhibitions, crèches, meetings and outings organised for, and on behalf of childcarers
Accidental injury caused by the incorrect application of first aid treatment
administering medication/treatment (provided written parental permission has been obtained)
your usual childcare activities, including use of trampolines, climbing frames, bouncy castles, garden swimming pools or similar, and food poisoning arising from food you have prepared
motor contingency liability (not a replacement for car insurance and only available where no other cover is in place), covering:
- your use of another person’s vehicle (with their prior consent) in the course of providing childcare
- another person’s vehicle (with their consent) up to £750 per event
member-to-member indemnity - this will apply when you are held legally liable to another PACEY member

As childminders we may not always be in a position to leave the children with another childminder it may have to be someone who isn't a childminder because as we all know emergency situations cannot be anticipated - I would suspect that Morton Michel do have offer the same thing but the poster is perhaps wanting to compare cover and cannot actually find anything

18-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Ah ok thank you Christine - I did a quick search of the MM policy before answering and couldn't find anything about it - so I assumed that once you drop a child or they are picked up and they are no longer in your care you are no longer responsible for anything that goes wrong.

Thank you for clarifying Pacey's position.

In light of this - and knowing there are now 4 or 5 insurance options for childminders - I think it is best if we advise members to check with their own insurance company for answers to questions like this.