PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cost of registering and setting up

Kidston
17-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone

Im planning to set up childminding about this time next year, its something Ive always wanted to do but now I have my own little girl its the perfect opportunity to be able to spend time with her and have a career.
I have an endless list of question and just looking through this forum has been a great help already. But the most important question is how much registering and setting up will cost?

I know I will need to pay for:
-first aid course
-registering with ofsted
-crb checks
-insurance
-safety eqipment
-toys and equipment for children

I know i will need to pay for all of this and more but some ruff figures would help a lot if anyone can help. If Im missed anything off that would be really helpful too.
Thanks in advance

Rick
17-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi

I'm sure someone will help you with this.

In the meantime here is a useful thread about registering as a childminder

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

TY628
17-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Hello~ Please see below list. I hope it helps. Cheers!

-first aid course
I attended a course run by St John which cost me £114. All courses were full so it's the only choice for me. I believe there are cheaper courses so better book earlier. Try Switch Training website.

-childminding introductory course: £170 (I think it may be different from different areas)
-registering with ofsted :Should be £35 + health check depending on your GP, around £20-30
-crb checks: covered by Ofsted
-insurance: PACEY £96 or MM £45 (Pacey with childminding membership and support)
-safety eqipment: fire blanket ard £15, can't comment on other safety equipment as it's specific for your home
-toys and equipment for children: i started with few story books, play mats and drawing material. I spent £100 to start with

TY628
17-08-2013, 10:17 PM
also, safeguarding training online course £30, you need to do this before you register with Ofsted

Kidston
17-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Thank you both for thay information it really helps.

I have spoke to my local councils childcare services and they do a free childminding briefing which is a 3hour session for 4 weeks, would this be the course you've mentioned? Apart from attending this they said I would just need to pay for my first aid and the safeguarding course.

TY628
18-08-2013, 09:43 AM
I know some councils will provide the childminding course for free and they may change the requirement. Perhaps you can ask if the course they provide is a 'CYPOP5' course, if not, do you still need to take that?

Rick
18-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Yes my local authority approved Introduction To Childminding Practice course was only £30. 10 sessions on a Tuesday evening for 3 hours.