PDA

View Full Version : And for my next daft question - windows?

Emra81
17-08-2013, 07:03 PM
So, the only windows in my whole house that have restrictors on are the upstairs landing and the bathroom. All others have locks except my dd's room and one of the 2 windows in my bedroom. I'm guessing that I need restrictors on the unlockable bedroom windows as it could be possible for a child to open them - unlikely but possible. But do I need them downstairs? It's not unusual for us to have the windows in the lounge open as it's the only way to get air in here other than opening the back door and they;re right next to the table so fairly easy for a little person to climb up and open one, plus easy for someone to get in (they face out on to a path down the side of my house which provides access to our back garden gate as well as 2 neighbouring back gardens), if they're so inclined. Does everyone else have restrictors fitted or have any insight into what Mrs O's thoughts are on windows? Does the need to stop children falling out of a window take precedence (sp?!) over the need to maintain an escape route in the event of a fire!? Am I over-thinking this again? Thank you!

lisbet
17-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I can't recall anything specific in the Statutory requirements, so I think it is down to your assessment of the risks. I think personally I would put restrictors on the bedroom windows and sitting room windows, for peace of mind and so you can ventilate safely. The ones in our windows can be disabled by an adult so you can get out in case of fire. And I don't think there's any such think as overthinking when it's comes to other people's children and Mrs O, lol!

Emra81
17-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Lisbet :) I think I should put restrictors on as well but was hoping someone would have a magical answer that would mean I didn't have to as we rent the property and I don't really want to start drilling holes in window frames if we don't have to. Ho hum - looks like I'm going window restrictor shopping tomorrow. Fun, fun, fun!

FussyElmo
17-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the reply Lisbet :) I think I should put restrictors on as well but was hoping someone would have a magical answer that would mean I didn't have to as we rent the property and I don't really want to start drilling holes in window frames if we don't have to. Ho hum - looks like I'm going window restrictor shopping tomorrow. Fun, fun, fun!

I have not got restricters on any window. Couldnt you just lock them and then open them as you need to :-D

lisbet
18-08-2013, 06:58 AM

Ah yes, that is a pain. We rent too and in our last house we had big Victorian windows with no restrictors. I only had my own 3 children to worry about then and I didn't like it for the reasons you describe; you either can't get enough fresh air in, or you have to worry about them climbing/ falling out. I was going to buy some restrictors from Ikea, but then we moved. We had PVC window frames and someone told me that when you leave the house, you can cosmetically repair any holes in them with soap.

charlottenash
18-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Mine only have locks. And they are rarely locked because I've had a key snap in one of the locks so it would be a fire hazard.

To open our windows, you have to push a button, life handle and open. To open wider than a few centimetres you have to do all of that and press a little button underneath the window itself.

I see that as safe enough, and Ofsted were not remotely interested in my windows!

blue bear
18-08-2013, 07:08 AM
I've always been asked about window safety on ofsted inspections, it's a matter of assessing risk, I lock the windows upstairs when lo are asleep but don't use the room with the wider opening that I have identified as the best fire escape option for sleeping children.

Downstairs, the kitchen window opens onto the street, the children would have to climb over the sink to get out, I don't lock it but I do close it if we are going in the garden or back lounge as someone could climb in.

I would write up a detailed risk assessment, what is the likely hood of a child climbing put and what steps can you make to stop this, what I'd the likely hood of someone climbing in and what can you do to prevent this and ensure safety? Putting on restrictors is not always necessary but then again it's sometimes the only choice you alone can make that call, it will be down to you if something went wrong.

Risk assess, risk assess and then risk assess again.

lisbet
18-08-2013, 07:49 AM
To open our windows, you have to push a button, life handle and open. To open wider than a few centimetres you have to do all of that and press a little button underneath the window itself.

Sounds like your windows have the same built-in restrictors as mine - I think they're a great idea. :thumbsup: (The windows in my old house were low to the ground and could easily have been pushed wide open by a toddler. :panic:)

Tazmin68
18-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Over the last 2 years we have replaced all of our windows the last one being next week all have the small opening for air circulation and a slightly wider opening with the child lock have to push two buttons together for emergency full open.
Deb

Emra81
18-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your replies x I sat and gave it some more serious thought last night and the only option I have is to fit restrictors. The 2 windows in the bedrooms don't have locks on - you literally pull the handle up and can then push the windows wide open. I'm guessing it's a fire safety thing. The living room windows do have locks but if they're always locked so the kids can't open them and fall out (and no-on can get in) then the lack of fresh air becomes an issue (sounds daft but the room really hangs on to the smell of a dirty nappy so fresh air is essential!). The only solution is restrictors. I have found some concealed restrictors (which is what we already have in the bathroom bizarrely - why would you need a restrictor in there and not the bedrooms or the downstairs windows that could provide an easy means of entry for any unsavoury types?!) so at least we won't have to blatantly drill into anywhere obvious. Bah humbug!