PDA

View Full Version : Which tablet?

jax clinch
17-08-2013, 05:47 PM
My son has just announced he wants a kindle fire for Christmas, he is 6! We have 3 iPads in the house and he wants something of his own. I think he would be happy with any make of tablet but I don't know anything about any other than the ipad. Can anyone recommend a tablet suitable for a 6 year old, he can read and follow instructions. Thanks x

charlottenash
17-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Is a kindle not just an e-reader? I'm like you completely ignorant other than the iPad.

Pixie dust
17-08-2013, 07:02 PM
My neighbors son has a kindle fire he is 6 and my mum has one too. You can play games, watch films etc just like any other tablets. I think they are a good starting point. There are quite a few different tablets on the market now you really need to do some research as not all have cameras etc really depends on how much you want to spend.

SarahJellybean
17-08-2013, 07:40 PM
I think the kindle fires are quite limited compared to others. We have nexus 7's and my brother has samsung galaxy tab, think the samsungs are reduced now as there are newer samsung ones out. I'm considering the samsung for my daughters for christmas.

fionamadcat
18-08-2013, 07:25 AM
My 9 yr old has a kindle fire and I think for her purposes it is great, she can play games, read books and browse internet. It is nice and chunky so I'm not too worried about it getting broken! It was only £99 so not too expensive too. The only thing it is really missing is a camera although you can put photos onto it. There are better tablets around but for that sort of age group I think the fire is a good option.

Bluebell
18-08-2013, 07:53 AM
I have a kindle fire and my 8 year old and 5 year old are always taking it - mainly for the free games that I've downloaded for them. I've re-set my security settings after my 5 year old saw what I was typing and bought himself a Mr Men book (phew only one and not too expensive and I realised straight away as I had an e-mail saying thank you for your purchase! the 8 year old has enjoyed books on it and my 5 year old loves music so i have an interesting selection of music such as s-club 7 and the wanted!
its better than an e-reader because you can access the web, e-mails, calender etc and i think you can edit documents. both my children have leap pads and although we got them second hand the games are expensive and i would say that enjoy the kindle more. they dont use the web but i assume when they start i can set security settings to stop them viewing anything they dont want like we have on the main computer.
there are so many tablets around now its probably worth shopping around.

this article is about kids tablets and also adult tablets suitable for kids.

How to Find the Best Tablet for Kids: The Ultimate Guide - TabletsForKidsGuide.com (http://www.tabletsforkidsguide.com/)

Best tablet for kids: 5 to choose from | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/best-tablet-for-kids-5-to-choose-from-1117325)

i'm sure i saw one when i was looking for mine that was a top ten for children but was a better choice of adult ones that were suitable but can't see it now sorry