PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

It's a small world
17-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Hi looking at changing my laptop for a tablet need opinions on which ones are good ? Any advice ladies and gentlemen ? Xx

Rick
17-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I couldn't live without my iPad now! You can log onto the forum via the app or normal Safari and I also use the Orbit app to do my obs!

maisiemog
17-08-2013, 03:29 PM
I agree I love my iPad and use it for almost everything, however there are limitations. I hAve yet to find a word processing app that can compete with word and so tend to use the laptop for my paperwork, although I've just signed up to ********* so may not need the laptop. I do all my obs on my iPad or iPhone now! Definitely makes it so much easier to keep up with that! And it has some amazing apps you can use!!!! I've not paid for many of mine!

singingcactus
17-08-2013, 03:44 PM
My advice/opinion is do not swap a laptop for a tablet. They are not the same thing. Your best bet would be to get a tablet in addition to your laptop.
I love my tablet, I have a samsung tab2...or something like that. It does not support flash player though, which isn't a problem cos my laptop does. I haven't investigated word processors, and it is not compatible with my printer, but again, my laptop is and it has a good word processor.
My tablet is fab for social networking sites, loads of apps available for it, takes decent enough pics for posting on instagram/twitter etc, links up with my phone, good for most forums (sorry but not keen on the app for this forum so use the full sites mostly) and has some fab games etc. It is generally a toy, a little bit like a smart phone without the actual phone part, good for keeping in touch, doing the shopping, playing games and looking at funnies on. But it is not a replacement for a pc.

line6
17-08-2013, 04:10 PM
I have both and never use my laptop any more. I have an iPad mini and haven't missed anything on the laptop. I use Pages as a word processor, have a wireless printer andam investigating Orbit and 2Simple for LJ's. not to mention all e other apps that I could no longer be without. And like previous poster these rarely cost anything. Links to my phone too so can snap pics on my phone and use the iPad later to do the paperwork on an app (or do it on my phone if I want to). Personally I wouldn't want anything other than the iPad but that's because I have been in love with my iPhone since they first came out and wouldn't know where to start with anything else!

sprinkles
17-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I have both and never use my laptop any more. I have an iPad mini and haven't missed anything on the laptop. I use Pages as a word processor, have a wireless printer andam investigating Orbit and 2Simple for LJ's. not to mention all e other apps that I could no longer be without. And like previous poster these rarely cost anything. Links to my phone too so can snap pics on my phone and use the iPad later to do the paperwork on an app (or do it on my phone if I want to). Personally I wouldn't want anything other than the iPad but that's because I have been in love with my iPhone since they first came out and wouldn't know where to start with anything else!

I have a wireless printer but my iPad can't connect to it???

line6
17-08-2013, 06:40 PM
It has to be an AirPrint printer. As I found out after getting a wireless one that didn't work!

littletreasures
17-08-2013, 06:44 PM
I have an ipad that's connected to my Epson printer wirelessly. It's not an Airprint printer. I downloaded an Epson app which makes it connect.

I have a laptop and ipad and I use them for different things. I do all my paperwork on my laptop and browse more on my ipad. It's a 1st generation ipad though, so no camera etc. I intend to buy a new ipad when it comes out (hopefully next month) which will probably be able to do more.

SarahJellybean
17-08-2013, 08:44 PM
I have a nexus 7 and barely use my laptop now. I use kingsoft office I think it is called for word processing and it prints to my hp wireless printer. My hubby as a bluetooth keyboard for his nexus 10., One thing I do use my laptop for is uploading photos from camera, not sure you can do that on tablet.

Jiorjiina
17-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Samsung galaxy tab 10.1, but I still do most of my actual work on my desktop. I am too happily married to my USB keyboard to ever really manage using anything else. And for some unfathomable reason, there is no USB port on a galaxy tab (I also have a google drive, so it's not really a major issue). Also I find the angle for typing on a tablet too awkward.

And you can usually upload photos from a phone to a tablet using bluetooth. That's how I do it, anyway.

It's a small world
18-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Samsung galaxy tab 10.1, but I still do most of my actual work on my desktop. I am too happily married to my USB keyboard to ever really manage using anything else. And for some unfathomable reason, there is no USB port on a galaxy tab (I also have a google drive, so it's not really a major issue). Also I find the angle for typing on a tablet too awkward.

And you can usually upload photos from a phone to a tablet using bluetooth. That's how I do it, anyway.

My laptop looks like its on its last legs won't charge . Off to the computer hospital tomorrow. Good job ive just backed up my paper work :-) .

Samijanec
18-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Love my iPad, it's part of me now.. :D

karen m
18-08-2013, 09:24 PM
I bought a Samsung 10.1 tablet yesterday hoping its. as good as reviews as laptop on its way to laptop heaven I think , not working tomorrow so will have a good play with it fingers crossed