PDA

View Full Version : Notice

charlottenash
17-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Have u ever given notice because you can make more money with another offer? How did you tell parents without blatantly saying 'I can make more money, so your off'?

munch149
17-08-2013, 09:40 AM
No although I would have liked too. I'd feel to mean. You could however say it no longer works for your family (no lying as it would work better for your family to have more money coming in

Chimps Childminding
17-08-2013, 09:42 AM
I have only ever done it once. I had a twins who came for the morning, 4 days a week, but nearly every week I would get a call to say they weren't coming for one reason or another (always just as they were due - any I stupidly only charged when they were here - I was newish to cm at the time). I had the chance to have 2 sisters who lived close for 4 days, but all day (Mum had asked me before but I said I hadn't got space)! So I gave notice to the twins - I felt awful even though they had messed me around.

Although we run a business, we also have to remember that we are dealing with people/children - I wouldn't do it again :(

charlottenash
17-08-2013, 09:42 AM
I have an ad hoc who is 10 hours minimum a week usually does about 15hrs.

I now have the offer of siblings full time! Increasing my income by about 150 a week. I'm reluctant to refuse.

I also don't have the best relationship with ad hoc, but this family I feel very comfortable with.

The ad hoc live 5 doors up from me, so slightly awkward but they only came to me when their childminder got pregnant, I secretly believe they want to go back and will go back when she comes back to work.

I do feel mean though.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Sorry but I would never do it. If it wasn't the money and hours that I wanted I would of waited until the right child came along.

This isn't just giving notice, it is a child and they have feelings.

I know this sounds harsh and I now my answer is going to create tension but I feel strongly about mucking around children as what did they do wrong?

FussyElmo
17-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Its hard. In an ideal world it would never occur to us to give notice to take on a better contract. But times as they are its understandable why you would want to do some £150 a week is a lot to say no too.

There is no right or wrong answer :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2013, 01:18 PM
We must of all been replying at the same time as I only saw your first post.

An ad hoc agreement is as and when you have space and not as and when they decide to use you.

I would take the new girls and then tell the other parent that your ad hoc spaces are now..... and if she uses them so be it

smurfette
17-08-2013, 01:33 PM

An ad hoc agreement is as and when you have space and not as and when they decide to use you.

I would take the new girls and then tell the other parent that your ad hoc spaces are now..... and if she uses them so be it

Yep this is what I would do!

Samijanec
17-08-2013, 02:03 PM

This sounds about right to me as well!

charlottenash
17-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Well this was my first mindee so I was naive, our agreement is 10 hours minimum but they call me day before to say what they need the next day as that's when they find out dads hours.

This child has been to several childminders, and without sounding harsh he's not interested in being here, he really dislikes it in comparison to his old childminder who obviously worked very differently.

Parents refused settling in despite me trying hard because they said 'he will be fine' which he was I guess.

I work as a business, and explained to parents upon signing that I was new to the business and was taking it slow but that I would be looking for full time spaces when the time was right. The time is now right because my son is off to school. I was only looking for one full timer to keep this ad hoc on, but siblings came along. I won't get this opportunity again because business is few and far between here.

We all have our own way of working I guess, certain children I wouldn't dream of giving notice to because I know it would affect them emotionally, but this child I genuinely feel would be unaffected and his parents were happy at the start with the situation.

hannahemilie
17-08-2013, 05:16 PM
You do whatever you want to do/feel is right. One of the benefits of this job is being able to choose your hours etc. don't feel bad, they will get over it. Yes it sucks giving notice, and you will feel rotten about it, but you and your family come first and you will get over it too ;) x

charlottenash
17-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks I kind of see most wouldn't do it but it made me realise that I really want to do. Have posted notice this afternoon

Samijanec
17-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks I kind of see most wouldn't do it but it made me realise that I really want to do. Have posted notice this afternoon

Good luck with your new mindee xx