PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessments

sprinkles
16-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Do I have to have written ones for every place I visit? I have a general one which covers the whole house but do I need one for park etc etc?

Bumble Beez
17-08-2013, 07:04 AM
I personally have one that I do for the house and garden every morning...just a simple tick sheet...and I do a written/typed RA for local parks, beach visits, group visits etc...
We went to our local Redwings sanctuary yesterday and so I did a RA for there...
I just feel that I would rather RA it and be covered rather than not worry about it and then panic if something happened!

Sarah x

sarah707
17-08-2013, 08:02 AM
The eyfs does not require written risk assessments but they are still VERY good practice.

You will struggle during inspection - depending on the grade you want to try and achieve - if you do not have them.

The clarified requirements are in this Ofsted factsheet :D

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Requirements for risk assessments (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-requirements-for-risk-assessments)

charlottenash
17-08-2013, 08:05 AM
I have written risk assessments and they are extensive (different one for each park, because there are such a wide range of risks from park to park here)

However I said to Ofsted that as childminders I think we are constantly risk assessing all day every day and that I couldn't document every single risk. I assess mentally and prepare for it every little thing we do, we would be forever doing paperwork if I wrote them all down lol!

lisbet
17-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I have written risk assessments and they are extensive (different one for each park, because there are such a wide range of risks from park to park here)

However I said to Ofsted that as childminders I think we are constantly risk assessing all day every day and that I couldn't document every single risk. I assess mentally and prepare for it every little thing we do, we would be forever doing paperwork if I wrote them all down lol!

I added the same sort of thing to my Risk Assessment policy and said the same to Mrs O when she came to inspect. :thumbsup:

sprinkles
21-08-2013, 01:53 PM
The eyfs does not require written risk assessments but they are still VERY good practice.

You will struggle during inspection - depending on the grade you want to try and achieve - if you do not have them.

The clarified requirements are in this Ofsted factsheet :D

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Requirements for risk assessments (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-requirements-for-risk-assessments)

Thank you. I'm in Scotland though so may be different. I think I will do written ones for each place we may visit regularly - parks etc. I have a general one for the house and garden but don't have a tick list each day? I plan to review it regularly and make any changes accordingly.

Do I need to do one for the school if I'm doing a pickup?

lizduncan72
21-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I have house and garden ones but don't have the tick list-I just do a visual check each morning. I have general ones for parks, beach etc. I don't do one specifically for school pick up, that comes under walking outings (or driving if you're planning to drive!!)

sprinkles
23-08-2013, 10:00 AM
I have house and garden ones but don't have the tick list-I just do a visual check each morning. I have general ones for parks, beach etc. I don't do one specifically for school pick up, that comes under walking outings (or driving if you're planning to drive!!)

Thanks Liz! So do you have a separate one for parks then one for beach? So far I've only got my general house and garden one so trying to work out what other ones I need.

maisiemog
23-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I have a house and garden risk assessment. I then have one for all my resources (took me hours to write that one but I feel better having it in place!) and then have generic walking, bus, train, driving ones. I also have risk assessments for the places we visit most so for us that is the local farm, museum, cinema and a couple of parks.

Also have a risk assessment policy in place that says I cannot possibly document every possibly risk for every activity we do but I am constantly assessing the risk as we go along and taking necessary steps to reduce risk.

My husband works in health and safety and he has said my risk assessments are fine and my policy covers me so if ofsted have any issues with them I'm going to tell them they have been passed by my health and safety executive and they can take their issues up with him!

Samijanec
24-08-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm in Scotland, I have one for the house, car, park, soft play, shopping, pets, walking, crafts, cooking, visiting places with water possibly a few more that I can't currently think of.

lizduncan72
24-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks Liz! So do you have a separate one for parks then one for beach? So far I've only got my general house and garden one so trying to work out what other ones I need.

Yes, separate ones for each. Also got a pets one too, forgot that one!!

sprinkles
24-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Yes, separate ones for each. Also got a pets one too, forgot that one!!

Liz would you mind sending me a copy of your one for the park please? Do you just use the same one for each place but change the information (like a template?)? I really need to get the park one done as my little one starts on Monday so if weather is nice we'll be off there.

lizduncan72
25-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Liz would you mind sending me a copy of your one for the park please? Do you just use the same one for each place but change the information (like a template?)? I really need to get the park one done as my little one starts on Monday so if weather is nice we'll be off there.

No problem, will pm you once I get my lot fed and organised for the day!! x

Rachel6
25-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff,well done x

sprinkles
25-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone, have now got ones for shops, walking and the local park too! :D Will add more (toddlers etc) once I plan to visit these places as I'm not sure which toddler group we will go to yet.