PDA

View Full Version : "I need a longer time out. Can I stay here please?"

EmmaReed84
16-08-2013, 01:42 PM
OMG! My son has been driving me crazy today! He has been so naughty all because he is tired and will not settle down! He stayed at his Nan's house on Wednesday night and had a late night, then was up at 5am Thursday. Last night he woke up at midnight kept getting up to the toilet, trying to wake his brother and kept trying to talk to me! He then woke up at 6.30am. :panic:

I have told him constantly to calm down (he has ADHD and really struggles when he is tired) so I told him to have a time out, he went absolutely mental crying and screaming (while sat in his time out)! Finally he stopped after 5 minutes. I invited him back in the lounge for a cuddle and he said "I haven't quite fully calmed down yet Mum. I think I need a bit longer in my time out. Can I stay here please?"

Bless him. After another 3 or so minutes he came in, very calmly and said "Mum, I have calmed down now, sorry for my behaviour. Can I please get my drawing and writing book out so I can sit quietly?"

I filling up with tears of pride! :D Now if only my NON ADHDer would be like this LOL! :laughing:

ziggy
16-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I guess it must be a bit like having PMT as a woman.

I used to know I was being unreasonable and why but couldnt control it.

Bless him

Tealady
16-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Well done him for being so self aware!

DD doesn't have ADHD but she does have flash points and in the last year she is really beginning to understand what she needs to do to prevent them happening or to sort herself out. She's just going into year 3 and it has made a big difference at school.

Samijanec
16-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Awe what a clever wee man.. :)