PDA

View Full Version : Should Pacey or PLA seek to meet with Ofsted over inspections?

Simona
16-08-2013, 01:31 PM
As you may be aware NDNA have met with Ofsted to engage in positive discussions regarding their concerns over inspections

NDNA takes the sector's inspection concerns to Ofsted | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1194568/ndna-takes-sectors-inspection-concerns-ofsted)

Should cms concerns over inspections also be discussed with Ofsted?...should PLA and Pacey engage in the same way as NDNA have done?

This is Pacey's statement which followed IPPR report that Ofsted judgement did not reflect accurately on the care children receive

Think tank claims Ofsted inspectors need better training for nursery inspections (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1560793/think-tank-claims-ofsted-inspector-need-better-training-for-nursery-inspections)

Simona
16-08-2013, 02:06 PM
A little addition to the thread...in the last few minutes Pacey have confirmed they will be seeking to meet with Ofsted in October and our concerns are appreciated.

hectors house
16-08-2013, 03:17 PM
A little addition to the thread...in the last few minutes Pacey have confirmed they will be seeking to meet with Ofsted in October and our concerns are appreciated.

Just as long as "they" don't forget to mention childminders now they represent "all" childcarers - it seems we have gone to back of the line of priority.:panic: Maybe they need reminding of who the majority of their members are, although reading recent threads some existing members whose insurance is due for renewal are now "shopping" around.

Simona
16-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Just as long as "they" don't forget to mention childminders now they represent "all" childcarers - it seems we have gone to back of the line of priority.:panic: Maybe they need reminding of who the majority of their members are, although reading recent threads some existing members whose insurance is due for renewal are now "shopping" around.

Absolutely....I meant for them to report cms concerns...I think nurseries and preschools are making a lot of 'noises' already and NDNA have had a positive meeting

Important to remember that without LAs support cms would be totally on their own ....all very well calling a helpline for support, that is not enough and no one should feel so stressed by an inspection.....so yes lets make it clear Ofsted registered cms are part of the workforce...what happens to those who join an agency is not a priority...we are!

sarah707
17-08-2013, 08:09 AM
I have a long thread of 'strange, odd, ridiculous' Ofsted judgements / actions on the Forum Facebook group which I will happily de-personalise and contribute to their meeting :(

Some childminders have been very shabbily treated by Ofsted. Being told that you are not yet outstanding because you don't have a covered outside area is one thing - being told it's because you don't have the 'x-factor' is TOTALLY unacceptable in my mind :(

We cannot continue to be treated like this. We have to be told the requirements clearly and properly - we have to know that we can get any grade not that there is a ceiling before they walk in - feedback has to include clear actions for the future not made up silliness.

If Pacey can't do anything until October - and don't put cms first - then PLA will have to step up on our behalf because our colleagues are suffering and it's desperately unfair :(

Simona
17-08-2013, 08:29 AM
I have a long thread of 'strange, odd, ridiculous' Ofsted judgements / actions on the Forum Facebook group which I will happily de-personalise and contribute to their meeting :(

Some childminders have been very shabbily treated by Ofsted. Being told that you are not yet outstanding because you don't have a covered outside area is one thing - being told it's because you don't have the 'x-factor' is TOTALLY unacceptable in my mind :(

We cannot continue to be treated like this. We have to be told the requirements clearly and properly - we have to know that we can get any grade not that there is a ceiling before they walk in - feedback has to include clear actions for the future not made up silliness.

If Pacey can't do anything until October - and don't put cms first - then PLA will have to step up on our behalf because our colleagues are suffering and it's desperately unfair :(

Yes it is very unfair Sarah and that is why I am trying to raise the issue here and where the rest of the EY workforce is made aware 'publicly' that this is happening to cms as well....

Unfortunately I do not believe that Facebook is the place to raise such concerns...you know my feeling on that.
FB is a social media and very exclusive in the way information can be shared...that is why we need cms to come out in the open, raise their concerns, get support and join in any campaign so all can be heard....there is no need for them to be identified but they need to be counted

I believe that PLA has already raised concerns about inspections via their Press releases or statements...
we need to make sure they include cms as well...any cm on this forum who belongs to PLA can update us...lets not forget they launch their cms package in September...what does it contain?
I feel they will represent cms well but they also need to be made aware of what our concerns are...we need to engage with them and tell them

Pacey we know have raised their worries and will attempt to meet Ofsted in October
NDNA we know has been active
UKCMA and other associations are silent or at least I am not aware of their position on this

LAs have acknowledged that inspections are happening more often and triggered by complaints and cms being downgraded

What we need is to 'speak up' individually as we did for the funding and our fight with the LAs...then collectively we can present the evidence and get noticed!

sarah707
17-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Just to clarify - I am not using FB to raise concerns Simona. I agree it would be unprofessional to do that.

I am using FB to raise awareness and collect information.

this will then be fed back through the appropriate channels along with information from the forum to benefit all childminders :D

Simona
17-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Just to clarify - I am not using FB to raise concerns Simona. I agree it would be unprofessional to do that.

I am using FB to raise awareness and collect information.

this will then be fed back through the appropriate channels along with information from the forum to benefit all childminders :D

My apologies Sarah if I gave the impression I was questioning your professionalism...that was not my intention
I was appealing to cms to speak up so, on the Ofsted inspections worry, we can be heard and, above of all, treated equally to all others who have associations speaking on their behalf

I think we were 'partly' successful on the funding issue by raising individual concerns and reporting them directly to the DfE...to this day I do not know of any association who has listened to our call that we need support to tackle the numerous reforms cms are affected by which far outweigh any affecting the rest of the sector.