PDA

View Full Version : Ratios and Continuity of Care

NinaBowen
16-08-2013, 10:50 AM
I currently have a Thursday available to an under five. I have had a lady interested in this day she asks me every week whether the space is still available but is unsure what to do as she is currently out of work but is looking for employment. She asked me today what the possibility would be of booking the Thursday and the possibility of a space for other days when she has found work. Initially I said no as all other days I already have 3 under fives, but am wondering whether I could use the continuity of care. However, my problem would be what if she signed up for the Thursday and then in two weeks time she got a job and wanted to increase. Would that be too soon to use continuity of care?? I would obviously check with my other parents first whether they would accept it too and risk assess but wouldn't want to get in to trouble with Ofsted if we increased to 4 under fives within such a short settling in time. She may not find a job straight away anyway and it may be 6 months say before she would want to increase and then it wouldn't be a problem but am worried about doing it if it is in say a month's time.

I have emailed Ofsted but I expect I will just get advice on looking at the guidelines.

Rick
16-08-2013, 11:58 AM
The problem is there is no fixed time period until you can increase days. You are in charge of your variations so must decide if it is acceptable.

moggy
16-08-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd document the reasoning carefully as starting with 1 day and then increasing days as 'continuity of care' can be used as a 'trick' to get higher numbers, although in your case it is genuine.

There is an Ofsted Fact Sheet about CM ratios, which is much more detailed than the EYFS itself- I'd read it carefully to make sure you are 100% certain about your decision.

sarah707
16-08-2013, 12:20 PM
This is the factsheet Moggy is referring to but it still doesn't cover how long is long enough for continuity of care...

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-numbers-and-ages-of-children-providers-early-years-and-childcare-registers-may-c)

I tend to think that once a child is settled you have a very good case to argue for it! :D

NinaBowen
16-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Thank you for the advice.

It is difficult, I wish there were clear instructions, I don't want to get into trouble with Ofsted. Have emailed my parents this afternoon to see if they have any concerns and providing they are all ok, will go ahead with it. Fingers crossed for me, although mum wouldn't want to hear this, that she takes a little time to find a job so I don't have worry and stress about it!

Chatterbox Childcare
16-08-2013, 12:57 PM
You settle a child and then mum wants more days - continuity is there