PDA

View Full Version : Advice please :)

S Stars
16-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Hello

I am a new childminder and am signing my first little boy up next week. He is coming mon, tues 9-3 and wed I collect him from pre school at 12 and keep him until 3. I have said to mum that I can keep the space in the morning open for her for half fees if she wants me to be available for closures/ holidays etc although don't know yet if she wants this.
I have also got twin boys who want to sign up they will come just thurs and Friday and I also have a 2 year old of my own.
My question is the twins are not quite 1 yet so as understand it I will need permission from ofsted to have them ?
My second question is that mum of the twins has asked if I can have them for a one off wed morning 8-2. Obviously I know I can only have them until 11.45 as will be over numbers when I collect the first little boy but if m is paying half fees for the wed morning can I still take the twins or not? Can I waiver her half fees just for that morning???
Hope that all makes sense am confusing myself!!!
Thank you!! xx

EmmaReed84
16-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Ok, so if I am wrong, someone will be along to correct me.

Just to get it straight. You have your child (under 5)

So Mon, Tue, Wed (from 12) you have your quota of 3 under 5

Then Thur and Fri you will have the twins and again, meet your quota.

If this is the way the contracts are going to be signed, and then Thur&Fri Mum needs care for Wed you will have five under 5. Because you ALREADY care for the twins on different days, I believe this would be continuity of care. You would need to really think about how it would work, risk assess everything, how will you manage with the twins when collecting other mindee, how long will you have five under 5?

If you feel you can do it, and it is safe to do so then I believe you can do this.

As for the twin thing, Again I believe you will still be able to take them on as they are siblings, you are not taking on two individual contracts for different clients. If that makes sense.

If I am wrong, please, someone correct me LOL :thumbsup:

S Stars
16-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Hi Emma thanks for your reply

So Monday , tues and wed from12 ill have 2 under 5 ( including my son)
Thurs and fri I have 3 under 5 ( my son and twins)

Thurs fri mum wants one off wed 8-2 so I would have 3 under 5 until 12 then 4 under 5 between 12-2 is this allowed??
Also as mon tue, wed arvo mum paying half fees to keep space available wed morning for her son am I allowed to fill that space one off ??

blue bear
16-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi Emma thanks for your reply

So Monday , tues and wed from12 ill have 2 under 5 ( including my son)
Thurs and fri I have 3 under 5 ( my son and twins)

Thurs fri mum wants one off wed 8-2 so I would have 3 under 5 until 12 then 4 under 5 between 12-2 is this allowed??
Also as mon tue, wed arvo mum paying half fees to keep space available wed morning for her son am I allowed to fill that space one off ??

This is allowed under continuity of care, you must make all parents involved aware and have comprehensive risk assessments in place. (the Wednesday morning is not an issue really as even if he was to come to you would still be under your 6 under 8 numbers)

S Stars
16-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Thank you. Just so I'm clear do I need to notify ofsted?
Also as I understand it I can only have 3 under the age of 5 at one time ?

Thanks again x

FussyElmo
16-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I would say no as the twins are new business so there is no continuity of care.

They have not signed yet so you are signing them up and agreeing to a date you don't have space for them especially as the other mum is paying a retainer for it :thumbsup:

sarah707
16-08-2013, 07:12 PM
1. You don't need to inform Ofsted

2. FussyElmo is right - you can only have 3 under 5 - you cannot have 4 if 2 of them are new business - only for continuity of care.

The rules are here :)

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/119767-ratios-change-what-means-you.html

S Stars
16-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Ok thank you!

Ill tell her I can't do it thanks for all your advice!!! X

S Stars
20-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Hi again!!

Ok so same question!!!

EmmaReed84
20-08-2013, 12:37 PM
1. You don't need to inform Ofsted

2. FussyElmo is right - you can only have 3 under 5 - you cannot have 4 if 2 of them are new business - only for continuity of care.

The rules are here :)

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/119767-ratios-change-what-means-you.html

How much time would have to pass before new business would class as continuity of care.

Say for example CM signed up two sets of parents. Parent A - 3 children Monday & Tue. Parent B - 1 child Thurs & Fri. There would be no issue because at no time is there more than 3 under 5, however, what if two weeks in to a contract Parent A says she needs an extra Fri ever other week? You have already signed the original contract which would have been in line with Ofsted, so it would technically be continuity of care.