PDA

View Full Version : Consultation: Greater flexibility for change of use

Simona
15-08-2013, 03:32 PM
This consultation was flagged up on the Foundation Years website
Buried somewhere in this consultation is the path to schools opening up nurseries/childcare opportunities on their premises

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/226632/Greater_flexibilities_for_change_of_use.pdf

hectors house
15-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks for sharing - I did see an e-mail from Foundation Team earlier but hadn't read it properly yet.

FloraDora
15-08-2013, 06:18 PM
'The participation of women in the labour market in this country is lower than in many other countries both in Europe and worldwide.'
This is being challenged for evidence of this, not all the statements in consultations are always accurate.

Would be nice if they also were supporting relaxing planning permission for childminders to expand too as a way of addressing this perceived problem of getting women back to work and recognising the value of home to home as an alternative childcare to a child being in an institution from a very young age.

Simona
16-08-2013, 07:32 AM
'The participation of women in the labour market in this country is lower than in many other countries both in Europe and worldwide.'
This is being challenged for evidence of this, not all the statements in consultations are always accurate.

Would be nice if they also were supporting relaxing planning permission for childminders to expand too as a way of addressing this perceived problem of getting women back to work and recognising the value of home to home as an alternative childcare to a child being in an institution from a very young age.

I agree with you FloraDora...where is the support for cms to expand?

All consultations, closed or still currently open, will erode childminding even further.....if there is a need to address this shortage of childcare why not start with cms and remove unnecessary burdens to expand provision

The problem is few cms will respond to this consultation as did previous ones...I am amazed how vocal cms were against ratios, which really did not worry us as we can already have a higher number under EYFS

Many govt reforms are far from being childminder-friendly...where is the opposition to them? its not just agencies ...there are lots more...where is everyone? ...Facebook maybe?

Simona
16-08-2013, 09:07 AM
More information on the consultation in Nursery World...not a mention of cms who wish to expand or removal of red tape for us

Changes to planning rules aim to fuel childcare expansion | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1207654/changes-planning-rules-aim-fuel-childcare-expansion?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

hectors house
16-08-2013, 09:09 AM
I agree with you FloraDora...where is the support for cms to expand?

All consultations, closed or still currently open, will erode childminding even further.....if there is a need to address this shortage of childcare why not start with cms and remove unnecessary burdens to expand provision

The problem is few cms will respond to this consultation as did previous ones...I am amazed how vocal cms were against ratios, which really did not worry us as we can already have a higher number under EYFS

Many govt reforms are far from being childminder-friendly...where is the opposition to them? its not just agencies ...there are lots more...where is everyone? ...Facebook maybe?

As a childminder I was vocal about ratios not necessarily for childminders but against the proposals that Nurseries could double their numbers meaning less children for childminders.

Simona
16-08-2013, 09:29 AM
As a childminder I was vocal about ratios not necessarily for childminders but against the proposals that Nurseries could double their numbers meaning less children for childminders.

I too signed it for that purpose, more children in nurseries means less for cms
The same applies for schools...if they have an easy way to expand we will lose wraparound care and holiday care and parents will see the benefit of all childcare and education from one place or hub...that is what it is about 'childcare hubs' or flexible childcare ....not long before we discover this is what it is all about

I also see another threat looming: cms getting to work together on 'non domestic' premises...to me that is not 'home based' childcare, they will be seen as mini nurseries and without much red tape could find premises to rent for their business which means they can claim all expenses unlike cms who are still bound by restrictive guidelines

Cms working with an assistant have also taken children from other cms as 2 of them can almost double the number of children they have...this I do not mind because it is still 'home based' childcare.

So much happening in these reforms that will erode the very fabric of childminding without even mentioning agencies !!!

hectors house
16-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I also see another threat looming: cms getting to work together on 'non domestic' premises...to me that is not 'home based' childcare, they will be seen as mini nurseries and without much red tape could find premises to rent for their business which means they can claim all expenses unlike cms who are still bound by restrictive guidelines

So much happening in these reforms that will erode the very fabric of childminding without even mentioning agencies !!!

I would love to put a large shelter on the back of my house, so children could use garden in rain but as it would be attached and therefore a permanent structure I can't claim any of the expense back although it would used soley for childminding - if I gave up, it would be taken down. But on a "non domestic" premises 100% of the expenses could be claimed. Not fair!