PDA

View Full Version : head lice

pipandbaz
15-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi have a mindee constantly with lice. Parents are not treating and I don't want others to get them. Can I exclude until treated? Pretty sure I can't without causing major dispute! But I'm sick of it quite frankly all I seem to say everyday is yes x been great today but has head lice please treat.

sarah707
16-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Do you have it in writing that is what you will do? Have you warned parents that you might do it if they don't treat?

You can't do it without some sort of warning in place first - but if it's a recurrent problem I think you should take steps to protect yourself and the other children :D

Koala
16-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Totally agree, you need to warn parents first that if they don't treat, you will exclude.

Quite frankly I think it is totally disrespectful to you, your home and their child that the parents are not taking action. I stipulate on all my contracts if any parent or child adversely effect the ambiance of the setting immediate termination of contract or exclusion will be followed, i've never used this clause, but I may well do in this situation.
There has to be mutual respect, for you and your home. Good luck.

AliceK
16-08-2013, 01:06 PM
All my parents know that if their child has head lice and they do not treat I will exclude. I do not want head lice going through me and my family and all the other mindees I care for. There is no excuse not to, it's just laziness and that poor child having to suffer the constant itching all the time :panic:.

xxxx

pipandbaz
16-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all replies, I have no written policy at present so will certainly sort that! It's been verbally said as I explained my Duty of care to others. Poor child is with me again today still smothered in them and I'd said to Dad about "full marks" you can get to treat them just yesterday so maybe over weekend it will be resolved.

charlottenash
16-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Why don't you write a quick letter:

'In line with all other local nurseries, schools and childminders, I must exclude any children who have visible head lice.

Please treat your children to make them more comfortable, and avoid any exclusion.

Many Thanks'

Sign it and date it today and give at home time. That's their warning then?

Samijanec
16-08-2013, 02:48 PM
It really baffles me when parents just don't treat, it makes me itch just thinking about head lice. So far I haven't had issues but I would certainly exclude. I have really thick hair and its terrible to treat..:(

I hope it's sorted soon for you!

Tazmin68
16-08-2013, 06:04 PM
I printed off the voucher from the nitty gritty website and gave it to one of my parents who doesn't seem to do anything they tske it to gp and get a free prescription for the comb which is really good.

I have threatened to exclude a child who is covered. We were lice free for a few months but came back in July and always has them. I fetched 30 out yesterday. It works when I bath condition and nitty gritty but because it is holidays and I have the older children I have not been able to bath the child. I next have her on Monday so I am able to bath her as I have no other mindees till 10 an hour after she arrives.

Deb

natalieatk
19-08-2013, 07:31 AM
I spoke to our head teacher about lice as it was constantly wrote in our newsletter about them - she explained that of a child is not getting the propa treatment for lice it is a sign of neglect and she would follow the steps according to their policy!

Amandak28
19-08-2013, 07:43 AM
I would defo take some kind of action. As the lack of treatment from the parents is neglect.
Its not like its just appeared, its an ongoing problem.

Poor child.

:-(

Maybe you could treat them yourself? Like a previous poster said she baths one of her mindes. Altho wasn't sure this was/is allowed but thats a different topic lol x

:-)

Tazmin68
19-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I have written permission from parent to bath, condition and do child this started as I first started to look after child on a sponsored placement through social services due to neglect. I then requested to treat as the lice were not bring sorted by parent and another mindee caught them. This is why I am allowed to treat plus I insisted in this because I did not want to risk them being passes onto other children as u cannot rely on parent treating As I mentioned I am lucky in that I have a half hour with this child on their own before the others arrive so I can go through her hair.

Deb

Tazmin68
21-08-2013, 03:06 PM
I am seriously getting annoyed with this parent as I do not think they are doing anything to help with head lice. During the school holidays I have not had the chance to bath this child only dry comb with conditioner and usually have between 10/30 lice. I did manage to bath her and really have a go with hair. My issue is now fir the third time another mindee has caught lice. Because she is a funded child it is frowned upon to exclude her as it is council paying for childcare but I also do not want to risk losing other children who are normal private contracts paid by parents. I have had her since November and it has only been an issue may-June and since school holidays. I should be having her stay with me until July next year. I have sent a stern message stating that another child has headlice and parent is not happy about the cost of treating the whole family and I also mentioned that non treatment of headlice is a form of abuse called neglect. I have also said that unless I receive a message that she is lice free on Friday morning I will not come to their house to collect her. I know I cannot exclude her permanent ly but am hoping that the short sharp shock message might do the trick.

Deb