PDA

View Full Version : Continuity of Care

Daisy De
15-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Kind of know what the answer to this is but just after some opinions.

Background is lo just left due to Dad losing his job, lo has been with me for a couple of years. I am optimistic that lo will return but obviously no guarantees on either side.

Lo was my main earner, can survive about a month but dodgy after that as only one income in the house. If I was to take on someone else and then original lo wanted to return, I would be on 4 under 5 sometimes during the week.

I'm guessing original lo would be classed as new business as they technically left. Just seems a shame lo has been with me so long and obviously would be a big change to both lo and his parents to go elsewhere. I would like to wait for him to return but financially I'm not sure I can.

I did wonder whether suggesting lo still comes say one morning so that he is still here and then increase hours under continuity of care if Dad gets a job? That way I could take on someone else now to help financially as there is no guarantee original lo will return to original hours.

What do people think?

jazzyjenbo
15-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi, yes you are correct he would be classed as new business and if i were you i would start advertising the place as their are no guarantees that lo will return.
You will have to take it as it comes, if he needs to come back fit him in on your free days and potentially build him up on to other days once hes back in your care and show you were providing continuity of care as dad increases hours at new job.
Its tough as you have a bind with him but you need to think about paying your own bills x x

sarah707
15-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Yes you are right :( It will be better for the lo if he comes a few sessions - and dad can look for work when he's with you.

Hugs x

hectors house
15-08-2013, 05:57 PM
I had this happen when a mum was made redundant - mindee was coming 3 days a week, I suggested that if they could afford it that he still come one day a week giving her a day to apply for jobs - it took nearly 10 months for her to get a job but then mindee came back to me an extra day and his gran looked after him the third day (which I had eventually let go but could have got a variation for if needed). I'm glad I kept him on as his sibling brother starts with me in Autumn.

Hopefully this parent will find a job soon :)

dette
15-08-2013, 06:44 PM
I've a LO who's mam was made redundant 2 months ago.She knew that if she takes LO out then he wont get back in.i'm already 4 under 5 on 3 days due to parents needing extra days so the LO has stayed with me for 5hrs a week on a day that suits me.She uses her time to do all her house work and I am able to hold her place

Daisy De
16-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think I will suggest he still comes for a few hours and see what they say. Lo is a handful but lovely as are his parents, I would feel awful if I couldn't take him back and I don't mean financially. Just need to consider whether if I take on a new lo (there is one hovering) and then the other one needs to increase hours again, do I want 4 under 5 sometimes, that's the question.