PDA

View Full Version : School run logistics - talk to me please!

balijay
14-08-2013, 08:55 PM
So after resisting for a long time I am due to be collecting 2 four year olds from school in Sept. DD (2) and two other mindees are also off to the attached Pre school a couple of times a week so that will be a lunchtime pick up. So potentially I will have 4 under 5s plus 2 four year olds (rising 5s) to transport to and from school which is around a 15/20 min walk.

Currently I use a phil and teds for the 2 smallest and have 2 walking which is fine for small distances. Should I get a buggy board? Also I obviously can't hold hands with the others so what do you do about multiple children holding on? I do have a couple of wrist straps attached to the buggy - shall I just get them all holding on there? Or is there another option I haven't thought of? And what about all the school bags and lunch boxes? Please help wise and experienced ones :laughing: (I can feel a big risk assessment coming on!)

Samantha_j41
14-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Rather u than me!!

Depending on age of kids i suppose i get them to hold hands infront of me and buggy. X

vals
14-08-2013, 09:26 PM
I have them walking in front of me. We walk a lot so I get to know who is ready to walk without holding on to the buggy etc. If I have a lot of children I allow extra time, I also try not to walk back when the path is at its busiest,so hang back for a minute or two to allow most parents to be on their way, so its easier to keep us all together.
As for book bags etc, unless they have something extra like a PE kit, I expect them to carry their own.Some of mine have a ruck sack and their bags etc all fit which is easy enough for them to carry then.

line6
14-08-2013, 09:32 PM
I will have my own 8 and 6 year olds, a 4 ye old mindee (full time school) plus my own 3 year old and mindee of 2 1/2 I. Sept. I have a 30-40 min school run and I. Am stressing about it as the 4 year old starting g reception has only just turned 4 so will potentially be very very tired after full time school. Current plan is oldest 3 walking (with rucksacks for book and inch bags), 2 yr old in buggy and 3 yr old on buggy board. 4 yr old will have to hold on to buggy. My own 2 older ones can be trusted to walk nearby. I am worried about such a long walk in the rain too but can't fit everyone in my car for school runs. Thankfully I will be able to use the car for lunchtime play school trips. So not as many children as you but a slightly longer walk. Not really looking or ward to it!! I have asked mindees mum to provide rucksacks for them to carry their own bags as I just don't see how I can carry everything.

Mouse
14-08-2013, 09:41 PM
You need something like this!

Walking Links - Learning Essentials - Resources for Learning (http://www.lfccatalogue.co.uk/resources-for-learning/learning-essentials/walking-links.html)

balijay
14-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes the four year olds are only just 4 and going straight into full days so likely to be tired. Luckily it is a fairly easy walk home. Mouse yes! That's the sort of thing. Wonder if I could make my own version and attach it to the buggy?!

Rachel23
14-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes the four year olds are only just 4 and going straight into full days so likely to be tired. Luckily it is a fairly easy walk home. Mouse yes! That's the sort of thing. Wonder if I could make my own version and attach it to the buggy?!

I have a buggy clip on my phil an teds which is great for holding lunch boxes and PE bags but I was thinking of buying a couple of those foam swimming weight rings (or something similar-not that I have thought what) and sew them together linking them up an then hooking it onto my buggy clip that way I would be able to put it on and off quite easily x

Mouse
15-08-2013, 08:35 AM

The rings remind me of the rubber ring dog toys you can get! I'm sure you could make something similar :thumbsup:

kellyskidz!
15-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Regarding the wrists straps attached to buggy, don't leave them on there as older children can tip pushchair over (personal experience, I've had a 2yo almost tip buggy with 2mo baby in it, thank god I intervened or else disaster! I have throughly learnt my lesson now so don't think I'm preaching to you)
Make sure they're on your wrist when your walking or standing still in case of accidents:D
I did sch runs with a baby and 3 walkers and got two on wrist straps and my dd holding the buggy itself, thankfully there was only one road to cross and all 3 walked sensibly in front after that
I put book bags and pe kits under buggy and they had their sch bags on their backs, also the masses of paintings, drawings, odd shaped box creations went under buggy too xxx

Glitter
15-08-2013, 08:55 AM
A friend of mine only looks after school children. She has two shopping trollies (the sort older people use to carry their shopping) and the children put all the lunch boxes etc in them.
The children take it in turns to pull them along, and often fight over who gets to go next. This leaves her with nothing to carry and two hands free to sort out the children.

loocyloo
15-08-2013, 09:18 AM
i have a rule that all children collected ( or taken ) to school have to carry their own stuff! models and big paintings I ask to be left at school depending on when/if a parent is collecting/dropping off, or I am using the car! the secretary is used to there being a pile of things in the corner for me to take home and sometimes I pop in on my way past during the day!

I have smallest in buggy, ( or buggy board ) and then I have 2 'magic straps' attached to my buggy that the children hold as they walk 1 either side, and depending on how many LO, or their temperament! ( :D ) sometimes they hold hands and only one holds the strap. I also 'utilise' my older schoolies to hold hands with the younger ones and they walk in pairs down the road in front of me. they all seem to enjoy this!

they very quickly get used to the routine of walking and knowing what is expected of them.

one LO is desperate to be out of the buggy and walking holding the magic strap ( !!! ) but on the 2 days LO will be walking with me, we won't be using the buggy !!! maybe i'm going to have to have a 'magic' hand instead!

doris127
15-08-2013, 09:30 AM
I have the rule of carrying their own stuff - usually saying "my middle name isn't packhorse!" I don't have enough hands to carry 7 lots of bags etc. I have 1 6yo who moans about it as parents carry it when they take and pick up. When she refuses to carry it because it's too heavy I always say then we need to go and talk to her teacher as she's obviously giving them too much homework. That usually stops her

Mouse
15-08-2013, 09:59 AM
When I used to do a school pick up I always made the children carry their own bags. They'd come out clutching all sorts of letters,papers and pictures, so the first job would be encouraging them all to put them in their bags!

I saw mindees' mum at school one day. Her 2 children came running out of school, threw their bags, coats, lunch boxes etc on the floor in front of her and ran off. She stood picking it all up and sorting it all out, saying "I don't know how you manage all of this when you've got lots of children". I told her I didn't, they carried their own stuff. She said "oh, but it's such a lot for them to carry at the end of the day!" Her children were strapping 7 and 8 year olds!