PDA

View Full Version : new childminder

kellyjef
14-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi all
Im a new childminder and the little one i look after came with a cold which was fine. By the afternoon she was couging non stop for over two hour which was making her cry and gag. She has a pump sometimes and was off a few weeks withe same thing. I could not find her pump so i called the parent to see if there was something she was meant to have. The parent said they had forgot and she would try to leave work early and that the little one is all coughing. The parent made me like i was in the wrong for calling. As i am new to this was i wrong should i have just waited till they collected her and then tell them she has been coughing that badly.

Mrsh3103
14-08-2013, 04:29 PM
I would have called the parents too. Poor thing :(

If she normally has a pump ask the parents to get a spare one to keep at your house. That way it's never forgotten!

lizduncan72
14-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I would have phoned too and probably told mum to come collect if little one was that bad. Poor wee thing :(

thills
14-08-2013, 04:51 PM
I would of called too. Unfortunately parents nearly always make u feel like you were wrong to call, misty because its a pain to them, and not because they actually don't think u should have! Chin up u did the right thing

hectors house
14-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Do you mean an inhaler when you say pump? In which case you were completely correct to call the parents - would they prefer you to call from the hospital? - surely if the child was already unwell with a cold, the inhaler should have been the first thing they mentioned when they dropped her off. If they can't remember to send it each day then ask if they can get a spare one on prescription to be kept at your house (just make sure it is in date if you don't have to use it very often) and get the parent to sign a form in your medicine book about long term use of medicine.

kellyjef
14-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi
Sorry yes it is an inhaler. Thank you all for your replys. I love being a childminder but i do miss having others around when you need a little support.
Thank you

emma04
14-08-2013, 08:04 PM
You did the RIGHT thing!

I cared for a mindee with chronic chest problems and had a pump/inhaler to hand at all times. One day he was slightly tinged blue (I noticed when changing him) I immediately called his doctor (1 street away from me) and carted him and another mindee down. Turned out he'd got a chest infection and was placed on steroids (no cough, no wheeze, just blueish lips, nails and mottly skin)
I called mum in waiting room (didn't want to waste valuable minutes trying to get her beforehand as mum worked on a vehicle production line!!)

Mum was overwhelmed and so grateful. Lo spent the next day on his nebuliser.

You can NEVER be wrong despite the way parents react.

Supernanny86
14-08-2013, 08:08 PM
If she is known to use an inhaler whether or not it was occasionally I would have done the same, they should have made sure you had the right stuff!! I look after a boy with chronic asthma so know how quickly things can deteriorate!!

You shouldn't feel bad :)

blue bear
14-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Of course you are right to ring, the little ones needs comes first not worrying about how parents might react. It's hard being a working mum,lots of pressure all round but I'm sure once she's slept on it she too will realise you did the right thing too. .

jazzyjenbo
14-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Some parents do make you feel like your in the wrong for calling them. Your not so don't think you are!!

If i were you i would document that the inhaler was not available on that day.. Just for your own records, in your accident book or medication log, get the parents to sign it and give them a formal letter requesting an inhaler to be kept at your setting for emergency use.

Sounds harsh but you must protect yourself and safeguard the child, their was a clear health implication.

Also add a policy regarding medication.. I request full medical history, medication log, and if anything comes up on this list i request duplicate medication before the child starts (make sure u add the expiry dates to your first aid box)

Also where are you? U mentioned wanting c/m friends.. I'm in manchester x

kellyjef
15-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Im in london jazzy a little bit far but thank you for your reply i felt that i had done the right thing just needed someone else to say so.