PDA

View Full Version : Continuity of care/ ratios help

Leela
14-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I look after one child on Wednesday and Thursday. This family have asked to have a Tuesday as well as the grandmother who used to do this care is no longer able to do this. I already have 6 children under 5 on this day (work with an assistant). Following a risk assessment am I right in thinking that I need permission from the other 6 children who attend on that day. Does their permission have to be in writing. Also has anyone been in this situation where other parents have objected or not been too happy about having an additional child over the ratios?

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2013, 01:24 PM
You don't need to have written permission just their permission

I did a risk assessment and then contacted all the parents by email saying that the risk assessment was available to see and if they had any objections or concerns then please let me know by x date.

I put a copy of each email on my files

Leela
14-08-2013, 01:38 PM
You don't need to have written permission just their permission

I did a risk assessment and then contacted all the parents by email saying that the risk assessment was available to see and if they had any objections or concerns then please let me know by x date.

I put a copy of each email on my files

But you did need their permission or did you just inform the parents. Was everyone ok with it and how has it gone since with the extra child?

Carol M
14-08-2013, 02:11 PM
I have parents sign a generic form which explains my procedure for exceptions eg. that I look at each request and may not always be able to do it, that I RA for that particular exception, that I have space, resources and equipment. That I can explain to each parent how it affects their child and how I can continue to meet all their learning and development needs.
I email a copy of the parent request and a sample daily routine and ask parents to discuss any concerns or questions they may have so I can talk it through. I have never had a parent be concerned yet so exceptions have been self granted and all is fine.
Carol x

emma04
14-08-2013, 02:20 PM
I have a risk assessment and policy in place for when I exceed ratio's (no more than 6)

I also request written permission from parents using a generic form. I like written permission as it is something I can keep on file and has their signature on, so no arguments should someone change their mind!:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I might be mistaken then but I thought we just needed to inform parents and listen to their objections. Where does it say in the EYFS that we need written consent?

emma04
14-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I might be mistaken then but I thought we just needed to inform parents and listen to their objections. Where does it say in the EYFS that we need written consent?

I don't think it does. It's just permission we need, but I think that if we have no signature from a parent agreeing to our arrangements, how do we prove they said it was fine, should a situation occur? I'm a bit paperwork and signature mad, but only from bad experience!

mama2three
14-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I think youre right Debbie. We don't need parents permission to do this , but we do need to communicate with them and take their views into account when reaching a decision.

Carol M
14-08-2013, 04:07 PM
No, we don't need parents permission, it's up to us. But we must consult and get their views. My policy explains under what circumstances we may be able to increase our ratios and how each time I will assess and inform them of my intentions and allow them to discuss any concerns they may have. They signed to say they understood my policy and procedure, I don't ask them to give written permission each time I do an exception.
Carol x

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Phew that it what I thought. I just email and ask for any views - 3 emails and no questions.

Leela
14-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I look after one child on Wednesday and Thursday. This family have asked to have a Tuesday as well as the grandmother who used to do this care is no longer able to do this. I already have 6 children under 5 on this day (work with an assistant). Following a risk assessment am I right in thinking that I need permission from the other 6 children who attend on that day. Does their permission have to be in writing. Also has anyone been in this situation where other parents have objected or not been too happy about having an additional child over the ratios?

Hi Thank you, this is all clear now. What if the parent requests on an ad hoc basis eg for one Tuesday whilst gran is sick, do i need to go through contacting each parent or can I have a policy in place with agreements for ad hoc arrangements.

emma04
14-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi Thank you, this is all clear now. What if the parent requests on an ad hoc basis eg for one Tuesday whilst gran is sick, do i need to go through contacting each parent or can I have a policy in place with agreements for ad hoc arrangements.

No, just ask parents if its ok at anytime.

Or get permission form signed to say that they agree to you increasing your ratio at anytime

jazzyjenbo
14-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I had to change my numbers on a tuesday as parents job changed. I didnt gain permission of the other parents just explained to them that I was providing continuity of care to the other lo and that i have risk assessed how and if this would affect their child in anyway (mainly that i hav to split myself 4 ways instead of 3) but they were fine, i've not got any signatures.
Having read the other replies, i'm going to add another policy regarding numbers etc to my extensive p&p's

sarah707
15-08-2013, 06:35 AM
The rules from Ofsted and DfE re parents are explained in here -

Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

However, regardless of all this, Cheshire East say we have to get written permission from all parents and if one set object we can't do it!! So maybe check your LA doesn't put any restrictions on you. In Cheshire East we also have to tell them if we change ratios for any reason.

Hth :D