PDA

View Full Version : What is required to childmind to 8+ only?

Cosmo
14-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi there

I'm completely new to this. I'm trying to look into childminder to children over 8 only. More of a school run service. Could anyone give me any advice/point me in the right direction? Any tips would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

~Grasshopper~
14-08-2013, 04:44 PM
i would phone your local family info services for your areas info. or check the ofsted website.

personally have had 3 x over 8's id say you need nerves of steele lol and ear plugs. After my mat leave i wont ever be minding over 8's again.

x

bindy
14-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi

You do not need to be registered with Ofsted. My friend got so fed up with Ofsted and all the paper work, she decided to do over 8's only. A shame really, she was very qualified to work with young children and babies. Anyway she loved it, got most of the day to her self and got has much money. She had quite a few! Personally I don't mind school children, I find them easy, off to the park after school, tea and then home time. Good luck!

Tealady
14-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I think you can do what you like once they are over 8. This initially sounds like an easy life, however.....

It might be worth checking if you need to be on the Ofsted Voluntary Register in order to get insurance. Personally I wouldn't want to work without it as my I could loose everything if I got sued for something. There will be certain things you need to comply with in order to be on it however.

I would also ensure I had First Aid, so as I had the confidence to deal with an injured or v.ill child.

As a parent I wouldn't want to place my child with somebody without Insurance or First Aid.

I think both are vital for every bodies piece of mind. It also stops you looking like a money making racquet and afterschool holding pen :)

jazzyjenbo
14-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi,
You do not need to be a registered childminder with ofsted but if i was you and to be legitimate if ur advertising??
Get a crb check done
Childrens first aid
I would still have a contract and p&p's
Business use on your car insurance
Make sure you register as self-employed if you are getting paid.
If you want to stick to over 8's this is all you really need, if you expend to lower age school children you will need to be registered.

jazzyjenbo
14-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Ohh and public liability insurance is a necessity!!