PDA

View Full Version : I think I have messed up! Please help

EmmaReed84
14-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Currently I have 3 under 5's, - DS who is 4, he will be attending full time school September - F who is also 4, but leaving in September to start school - L who is 2 and will be 3 at the end of Aug!

In September I will have two full time (5 days a week) EY spaces and I have just signed up a parent for two girls, one day a week. All good so far, within my numbers etc.

However, the problem is I offer 3 free settling in sessions (1 hour, 2 hours & 3 hours) which I offer for BEFORE the contract starts (1st Sept). The problem is I have no days where I do not have the above children So IF I did do the settling in sessions I would have.

2x Existing mindees (nearly 3 / 4 years)
1x Son (4 years)
2 x New mindees (10 months / 2 years)
1x Son (7 years)

So that will be five under 5 and one over. Is there anyway I can do this? If I cannot do it, would it be acceptable if I was to drop 2x mindees at MIL during the time I had the new mindees (with Mum's permission of course - MIL has several days with only 1 child, so will not be over her numbers)

Argh! So annoyed I did not think about this sooner, but it just did not occur to me until it came to arranging the days.

blue bear
14-08-2013, 05:56 AM
You either do the settling in with patents attending and at that age its more about parents anyway
Or you do settling in on weekends
Or you ask mother in law to care fir two of them (permissions etc) at your house so there routine is not disturbed or at her house you would do this if you was poorly anyway as long as parents happy and all paperwork us in place

munch149
14-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Or do the settling jn days for new children on different days (might not work if they are siblings.)

FussyElmo
14-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Sorry Emma you are going to have work out something with your parent/MIL. You cant do the setting in sessions with those numbers as its new business. The fact you will have the space in September doesn't come into it as you don't have the space in August.

Anacrusis
14-08-2013, 07:32 AM
I would ask the parents to stay and not charge for them. That's what I do normally & it would mean you don't go over your numbers as they're coming for a visit with Mum/Dad rather than being minded by you.

I usually do this for new mindees anyway and it works really well for me as the children can get used to me & the setting with the security of having Mum there, and I get to chat to the parents which helps me find out more about the children & family.

loocyloo
14-08-2013, 08:19 AM
I've just had to arrange settling in sessions with a parent staying as mum needs to be in work the day the space becomes available, and before then its not possible! I like to have a little time with child on my own, but have to work with what is possible!

personally I don't like doing settling visits at weekends as my family are around and nothing is like it is when i am working!

x

charlottenash
14-08-2013, 08:28 AM
I'd arrange something with MIL I always like time alone with child, so stressful with parents there IMO and a different view of whose in charge when parents are there.

karensmart4
14-08-2013, 08:41 AM
If it were me, I would do the first 2 sessions with mum around and then the 3rd one I'd make arrangements with MIL ... if everyone was in agreement. Good luck and I hope it all goes well :)

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2013, 08:47 AM
As long as everything is in space and you have parent permission I would leave two with MIL for the short time you are talking about. Maybe after the first session you could all go to the park, MIL with you?

Bear in mind that you may have this problem in September too - do your 2 x 4 year olds go straight into school full days? If not they are still in your EY numbers until they do.

EmmaReed84
14-08-2013, 09:07 AM
As long as everything is in space and you have parent permission I would leave two with MIL for the short time you are talking about. Maybe after the first session you could all go to the park, MIL with you?

Bear in mind that you may have this problem in September too - do your 2 x 4 year olds go straight into school full days? If not they are still in your EY numbers until they do.

I am losing 4 year old mindee and my 4 year old son is going full time to school (he will be 5 in Nov) so I will only actually have 1x 3yr old mindee 5 days a week and the two that are starting in Sept for 1 day a week. Wednesday will be the only day I am up to my number for EY children... I will still have spaces for 2 EY children Mon,Tue, Thur, Fri (which I desperately need to fill)

EmmaReed84
14-08-2013, 09:10 AM
I just feel really awkward either having to say to existing parent... I have a settling in session for 2 children, so can I get MIL to look after yours (sort of feels like I am shoving them out the way)

But on the other hand will feel equally as awkward saying to new parent that instead of the 3 FREE settling in sessions, you will have to stay with the children because I ballsed up.

Which ever way I decide to go with this, I still feel highly unprofessional and I am so angry at myself!

hectors house
14-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Could MIL come to your house and look after your existing mindees - as a temporary assistant for those sessions and maybe come out with you to the park etc when your new mindees are staying a little longer. Could be good practise to see if you can work together as a team. I would mention the problem to the new parents, it doesn't show that you are incompetent it shows that you aren't prepared to break the rules for anyone.

Or could the parents stay for the first hour, then for the 2nd session MIL help for an hour and then you work an hour beyond your normal finishing times, for 3rd session same thing but MIL help for 2 hours - that way you get to spend an hour with the girls when existing mindees have gone home.

EmmaReed84
14-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Thank you hectors house.

I am not sure if MIL will come to my house, she has a teeny baby who screams in the car and she will also have 9yr old nephew, who has broken his foot, so too far for her to walk.

Also mindees do not leave until 5pm, so I would have to have new mindees until 6pm, which I think will be a tad late for them.

I think I will speak to new Mum and ask her to stay for the first one hour session, then perhaps we can discuss the other two sessions.

To be fair, these are something I offer for free so hopefully new parent will be willing to work around it a bit.

Although, just had a thought, the contract will start on the 1st Sept, however the first day of care is not until Wed 4th. I could offer the sessions, 2 hours on Monday 2nd and 3 hours on Tuesday 3rd.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Why not have the settling in sessions on different days when you are not so full?

EmmaReed84
14-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Why not have the settling in sessions on different days when you are not so full?

Because I am full from 6.45am - 5pm Mon-Fri LOL. :D

I was really lucky when I started, I had my own son, then, the first contract I took on was for two siblings, 52.5 hours a week! It is only now that one of the siblings is leaving to go to school and then a before/after school club, and my son is starting school in Sept.

Just tried calling new parent, but no answer, so will try and chat with her later.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Does your son and one of the siblings go to school all day on the first day back in September? Mine have settling in times and don't go full time until 23rd. right pain ):

EmmaReed84
14-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Does your son and one of the siblings go to school all day on the first day back in September? Mine have settling in times and don't go full time until 23rd. right pain ):

My son does yes, he had two weeks of half days in July. Sibling mindee who is going to school is leaving me altogether. I am keeping his sister though (but that is a different issue lol)

The Mon and Tues I will have absolutely no children between 9am-12.15pm, then just the one existing mindee after that.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2013, 01:29 PM
My son does yes, he had two weeks of half days in July. Sibling mindee who is going to school is leaving me altogether. I am keeping his sister though (but that is a different issue lol)

The Mon and Tues I will have absolutely no children between 9am-12.15pm, then just the one existing mindee after that.

Sounds like you have it sorted lol. I would do the settling in sessions on those two days..

VeggieSausage
14-08-2013, 02:14 PM
I do one of my settling in sessions as a visit to their house so I can see what they are like when in their comfort zone, why not pop round on a saturday morning to them, explain this works well as it helps for them to see you are part of the family.....