PDA

View Full Version : Getting desperate

lorettacritchet
13-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Oh.....dear no work seems to be out there in my area and I am panicking.

I would have expected that at least some parents would have enquired but they haven't. ....Not even through funding network! Another client is talking about possibly having to leave as her housing benefits are not being paid and she now has two months worth of rent to pay on top of council tax bill which is higher than mine! (and she's a single parent). This is becoming so frustrating.

Anyways I got an email from wizard or something, has anyone ever heard and/or used them? They say they have parents looking but I don't know it's a scam. I am sure it is.

littlebears1009
13-08-2013, 07:30 PM
How long have you been registered. Im in same boat but not been registered long x

Samantha_j41
13-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Hi newbie on forums, dont get disheartened!

Its the worst part of the job,
Im lucky ive now got 2 under 5s , and my own and 2 school age that i get every school/inservice holidays.
Keep getting your name around and advertise
Xx

Tealady
13-08-2013, 09:50 PM
I find it goes in peaks and troughs. August is normally "dead" as parents are sorted for Sept/Oct and the rest are thinking about holidays or enjoying the summer so they start looking come September.

caz3007
13-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Its been dead here for a long time. I managed to pick up a booking for January because I know the mum from toddlers. I have also had a random enquiry and a recommendation from a friend. I am not prepared to start early enough to do the random one, but the friends recommendation is coming to visit. So fingers crossed for this one and then I will be as full as I want to be for a while

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Are you registered with your local family information service/childcare.co.uk/childminder meetings/toddler groups - all good places to start.

Do some flyers and put them through doors local to you
contact your nurseries and schools with your details
Speak to your local LA regarding taking vouchers
Talk to Health Visitors at your local Surestart Centre, let them know that you are taking the 2 year olds

Put your name everywhere

kellyskidz!
14-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Try not to panic, that's the worst part of this job I've found, the lack of job security :(
It does happen in fits and starts though and August is notorious for being quiet. Usually picks up in Sept/Oct time I've found. You'll be setting up a waiting list before you know it!
Good luck xxx

lorettacritchet
14-08-2013, 09:28 AM
How long have you been registered. Im in same boat but not been registered long x

I have been doing this for three years. Have gone through spats of quietness but it always picked up or there was always something I could pick up etc.
There is zilch!!!

lorettacritchet
14-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Are you registered with your local family information service/childcare.co.uk/childminder meetings/toddler groups - all good places to start.

Do some flyers and put them through doors local to you
contact your nurseries and schools with your details
Speak to your local LA regarding taking vouchers
Talk to Health Visitors at your local Surestart Centre, let them know that you are taking the 2 year olds

Put your name everywhere

Thanks - yeah have done it all, lets see if anything happens.

kellyskidz!
14-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Would it be worth paying someone about twenty quid to post leaflets/business cards for you one day?
Tell them twenty pounds for a few hours work isn't bad and for every person you get signed up you might give them a bit extra!
My cm friend paid her 15 yo nephew to deliver 200 leaflets for her round the estate and she got loads of enquiries, worth paying out the twenty pounds to him. Even if the houses you posts leaflets to don't need childcare, their sister, aunts, cousin, friend, daughter might. Worth a try if you're desperate xxx

mrstom
14-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Where abouts are you? As I work TTO I'm turning lots of enquiries away at the moment (the phone has been ringing loads!), but even the TTO enquiries are coming through thick and fast now, I've had to turn a couple away because I want to keep one day off a week (to be able to do my Level 3 work and keep on top of LJs). I've gone from working 3 days per week with 2 children in the last 12 months to (what looks like) being 4 days per week with 5 children come September!

I hope things pick up for you soon but some things that have worked for me are:

childcare.co.uk (I'm a gold member and I always send an introductory email to people who are within 3 miles of me)

Family Info Link (I make sure I update my details regularly so I'm top of the search pile)

My son's old preschool doesn't take children under 2 years of age and as I've a great relationship with them I've asked if they can keep my flyer and forward any enquiries on to me. I've had loads of enquiries this way.

I've also:

Put flyers on toddler group notice boards and on the main community board in our village square. I'm pretty well known at all the groups I go to because I've been going to them for the last 4 years with my own children.

Started a facebook page for my business. I don't update it much apart from details of my vacancies but I have a presence 'out there' if anyone is looking for a local minder.

Put an advert on yell.com (or whatever it's called these days)

I tell everyone I'm a childminder. I was in our local toyshop a couple of months ago on my day off and I mentioned to the lady behind the till that I was a CM and she asked for my business card as she was looking for before/after school care.

I'm also a member of my PACEY local group on facebook and a local CM facebook group which I often post vacancies on if I can't help a parent and others are doing the same.

One of these days I'll also get round to doing my own website but that's bottom of the list at the moment! :laughing: