PDA

View Full Version : who would you put first. mindee or your own child?

Carolc
13-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I have a big problem. My hubby has started a new job and now we don't have anyone to pick up our son drop school. I so a school pick up at a different school, which was fine when hubby was working from home. I asked my sons school if he could wait in the office until i got back from picking up at other school. They have said no. So now i can either get him to wait in the playground or let him come home himself. Or i could give notice to the one i pick up from different school.

What would you do? Xx

JCrakers
13-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Give notice. :D My family will always come first

shortstuff
13-08-2013, 01:11 PM
I agree, there is no way my son will ever feel that I will put a mindees happiness and safety ahead of his. He will always be my first priority.

margaret
13-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I agree, there is no way my son will ever feel that I will put a mindees happiness and safety ahead of his. He will always be my first priority.

As above ,my children come first

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Whilst I agree with the above - how old is your son? Are we talking primary or senior school?

Nicola Carlyle
13-08-2013, 01:26 PM
My children come first in instances like these. I would exhaust all avenues first like you seem to have done as let's face it we are all in business here to make money to pay the bills. If you have looked at all other possibilities then I'm afraid I'd have to agree and say give notice. X

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Will the other childs school let you pick up late? Is there another minder you can work with who will collect and hold for 5/10 mins? If you hubby was working with you what about an assistant for those hours?

Tazmin68
13-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Again i would give notice unless son was in year 6 where they need to be more independent .
Deb

Carolc
13-08-2013, 01:31 PM
He is almost 6 in primary 2. Just don't like the idea of him being at school in the dark, will be soon with winter coming, thinking ahead. X

rickysmiths
13-08-2013, 01:37 PM
It sounds as if you are in Scotland, do you have a school bus? I have ex mindees who are in Perth area and the school bus picks them up from the end of their drive. The older one started using the bus from day one and the younger one starts school today and will be going on the bus.

Carolc
13-08-2013, 01:41 PM
No our back garden looks onto the school so we are just a 5 min walk to my son's school. It is a 15-20 min walk back from the school i pick up from Xx

Koala
13-08-2013, 01:57 PM
No contest.

I would give notice and pick my son up from school, you don't want him to think mindees come first, because I am sure they don't, you cant be wonder woman and do everything even though we try, I am sure the parents will understand.

SwanLake
13-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Whilst I love my job, my family will always come first. Even if you agreed to your son coming home alone - he is only 6 so I'd be very wary of this no matter how near home it. What will he do in the interim whilst he waiting you to get back? Whilst I don't believe there is any specific law re leaving children alone, if you did and something was to happen to him, not only would you feel awful, SS would no doubt come down on you like a tonne of bricks.

I wouldn't even contemplate it until year 7.

Give notice or see if there is some sort of work around with the mindees x

FussyElmo
13-08-2013, 02:07 PM
No chance of me agreeing to my 6o son walking home alone.

The notice would be already written. Now if he had been in year 6 I may have had a different opinion :D

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2013, 02:13 PM
No chance my children would be walking home on their own at this age, you just don't know who is lurking around the corner. Is there another friend/parent who would walk him for you?

Carolc
13-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't want to rely on people, he might forget get has to wait and get upset, or think he has to wait for me and not want to go with friends. Xx

Tazmin68
13-08-2013, 02:17 PM
He is still in infants and at our school they are not allowed off school premises unless with adult . Not even with an older sibling from senior school.
Deb
Now juniors are allowed to go with a sibling from senior school and a year 6 child with a parents letter can make own way.

Carolc
13-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Hubby and i need to have a big talk tonight. Financially we can't afford to let them go just now, but can't let my own son suffer either Xx

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Hubby and i need to have a big talk tonight. Financially we can't afford to let them go just now, but can't let my own son suffer either Xx

Maybe hubby needs to take a late lunch break?

Carolc
13-08-2013, 03:47 PM
He is out at work lol Xx

loocyloo
13-08-2013, 05:25 PM
can someone drop mindee off to you? is there an afterschool club DS could go to?

DS has just left juniors, and for the past year has walked to & from school on his own. I felt awful on the one evening a week that I was collecting everyone else from clubs in the car and he would give me his bag and still walk home! ( if it was really bad, I would load everyone in the car, drop him home and come straight back to pick the rest up! ( clubs finished at 4.15 & 4.30! we usually walked apart from late club pick ups)

i'm getting snowed under with schoolies one day a week, and I know that once clubs start DD is going to want to do a club, but I am going to be unable to pick her up ( and even if ALL schoolies do a club, its going out late in the dark with LO to pick up, which isn't so bad in the summer, but not the winter and I will have too many for the car no matter how I try and work it! ) so she already knows that it is unlikely that she can do a club, unless we arrange for her to walk home with a friend ( or for friends mum to walk and pick them up, whilst I have mums younger child! )

Carolc
13-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Mum is looking into someone walking her a wee bit of the way and then i would pick her up mad take her to mine, will just need to wait and see how it pans out Xxx

tigwig
13-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Is there no other cm's or friends tou have at the school? I was in the same position so I asked a cm friend to collect my dd who is 9 twice a week. I actually pay her a small amount and my dd is friends with her dd so likes it. She literally is only with her for 5-10 mins at her house but it works for me. If you really have no one to rely on then yes give notice. Hope you get something sorted.

supermumy
13-08-2013, 09:36 PM
How old is mindee you look after? Would they hold later ?
No way would I even consider my 6 yr old walking home alone no matter the distance

I would probably have to let mindee go and find something in new school

Carolc
14-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Mindee is the same age as my son. Hoping we can sort something out with someone doing mindee close to me so i can still pick up my son then get her Xx