PDA

View Full Version : Will i ever please :(

rollypolly
13-08-2013, 07:30 AM
One day last week, I had just 1 mindee. This is what we did, we bathed the dog, which L/o loves, especially when the dog shakes and soaks us both! Then we went to the park and meet some other child minded children, so L/o could play and mix. Come home, had lunch. A little snooze, (L/o, not me!) then off to the garden centre where they have a farm inside for children. Looked at all the animals and afterwards, went for ice cream. Only for mum to say, this morning, he doesn't want to come to mine because he's so bored here! Should say L/o is 2 and doesn't like craft or messy play, will not entertain it, but I do try some form of messy play every week! Sorry for the rant, just feeling deflated :(

smurfette
13-08-2013, 07:34 AM
One day last week, I had just 1 mindee. This is what we did, we bathed the dog, which L/o loves, especially when the dog shakes and soaks us both! Then we went to the park and meet some other child minded children, so L/o could play and mix. Come home, had lunch. A little snooze, (L/o, not me!) then off to the garden centre where they have a farm inside for children. Looked at all the animals and afterwards, went for ice cream. Only for mum to say, this morning, he doesn't want to come to mine because he's so bored here! Should say L/o is 2 and doesn't like craft or messy play, will not entertain it, but I do try some form of messy play every week! Sorry for the rant, just feeling deflated :(

Wow that was a fun and stimulating day and would hope what mum would do at home! Grrr for you xx

Bumble Beez
13-08-2013, 07:45 AM
That sounds like such a lovely day that you had...and I know I have a couple of 2 year olds who would have loved that!!!
Does the parent know what you do with the child? I would make sure I show her photo's of LO enjoying themselves and doing lots of different things...
Some families and children just don't appreciate us :laughing:

Its hard not to let it get to you, but from what you've put it sounds like you're doing a great job and LO is lucky to have you as their minder...chin up xx

JCrakers
13-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Do you write a daily diary? This way she can see everything you do. Sounds like you were busy having fun , I don't have a car so I'm limited to walking. I do toddler groups, crafts, local parks.

I'm not sure why she would say that he was bored with all the things you did. Although some parents do like to see something like painting, something they've made etc. Also I've not heard a 2yr old say they are bored, that's usually something an older child would say. Usually 2yr olds are busy and interested in everything...washing the dog sounds like fun.

AliceK
13-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Do you write a daily diary? This way she can see everything you do. Sounds like you were busy having fun , I don't have a car so I'm limited to walking. I do toddler groups, crafts, local parks.

I'm not sure why she would say that he was bored with all the things you did. Although some parents do like to see something like painting, something they've made etc. Also I've not heard a 2yr old say they are bored, that's usually something an older child would say. Usually 2yr olds are busy and interested in everything...washing the dog sounds like fun.

I agree, it doesn't sound quite right to me.
Make sure mum see's lots of photos of her DS having fun and that it's all detailed in the daily diary and then if she is still making silly comments she is welcome to look elsewhere for another childminder. You can't please some people. TBH you did more that day than I would have done in 1 day.

xxxx

Samijanec
13-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Hmm, I'm not even sure a two year old could grasp the concept of being bored???

rollypolly
13-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. I don't do a daily dairy as mum likes to come at the end of each day and have a full verbal handover! This normally takes about 10-15 mins. I do take lots of photos on my cm phone and send them to her in the day, as well as print them off for L/o's LJ.
Now I've had time to digest it, maybe mum feels like she's missing out on the fun. Don't know what I'd do without this forum :) thanks everyone X

Nicola Carlyle
13-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. I don't do a daily dairy as mum likes to come at the end of each day and have a full verbal handover! This normally takes about 10-15 mins. I do take lots of photos on my cm phone and send them to her in the day, as well as print them off for L/o's LJ.
Now I've had time to digest it, maybe mum feels like she's missing out on the fun. Don't know what I'd do without this forum :) thanks everyone X

I do hope you bill her for those 10/15 minutes? How on earth can you do a 10/15 minute handover with other children around? I'd DEFINATELY do a daily diary for her and explained that she is more than welcome to write in it to as its all evidence which I feel is important to show ofsted. I'd explain that it's just not possible to stay for 10-15 minutes at the end of every day for a verbal handover and if she likes she can request a meeting every now and then to go through any concerns or queries she has. Don't get me wrong I'm all for having a chat with parents but to demand 10/15 of yours and the other children's time is just to much. Sorry if I'm ranting on a bit but sometimes I think parents need to be made aware of reality. xxx

SwanLake
13-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Firstly do a daily diary as then you can show Ofsted how you are meeting the needs of working in partnership with parents. They are not there are you hand over sessions of an evening so cannot hear/read what is happening.

Ive ever heard a 2 year old say they are bored either unless they have heard an older child say this. Perhaps mum is a little 'jealous' for want of a better word that LO had a lovely day with you?

jazzyjenbo
13-08-2013, 01:07 PM
I agree, daily diary is the way to go.. I always write the days events and then abit about Focus Activity.. Link it to eyfs and then say how they can do something similar at home.. For example today i have been to a play centre this morning so have written what the child enjoyed their, then have focused afternoon activity, letters, sounds, numbers, body parts .. So have listed rhymes parents can do at home

I had something similar with a mindie last year when the parent didnt want me to do 'jobs' with LO, when i explained that cleaning the car, going to the shops, post office was important life experience which children find fun, and showed photos of posting letters, being covered in bubbles, and carrying a basket in tescos .. She began to understand abit more...

I think the parents just dont understand all the areas of the eyfs which we have to cover... I now do daily diary, learning journeys and development tracker to try and visually represent all i do with my mindies x x