PDA

View Full Version : Ch is for.....

blue bear
13-08-2013, 07:00 AM
All my children have a picture that links with their name, it's on the diary, lj,coat peg and place mat. I try to make sure the sounds link up so a for Alex a for apple. The picture needs to look like the sound no point drawing a daffodil for Daniel as the children will see it as f for flower.

New child is called Chantelle and the only thing I can think of is champagne!!! Not sure that will be appropriate and anyway the children will call it mummy juice. Lol.

Help please.

JCrakers
13-08-2013, 07:36 AM
That's a toughie

Only two I can think of is Chef or Chandelier :D

Champagne's a good one but like you said, not really appropriate... lol

Rubybubbles
13-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Not idea

Sorry

supermumy
13-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Champion
Chain
Chocolate

mama2three
13-08-2013, 07:45 AM
I cant find any at all that you could use where the children would be familiar with the picture / word - with the possible exception of chef. These seem to be all of them .....Words containing 'ch' but pronounced 'sh'...

brochure /broshr/
cache /cash/
champagne /shampain/
chandelier /shandliyr/
chassis /shasee/

chauvinist /shauvnist/
chef /shef/
Cheryl /sheryl/

chevrolet /shevrolei/
chic /sheek/
Chicago /shikaago/

chiffon /shifon/
chivalry /shivlri/
chute /shoot/
cliché /kleeshey/
machine /masheen/
Michelle /mishel/

Michigan /mishigan/
mustache /mustaash/
parachute /parashoot/

Though not so common in day-to-day English, the following words also take ‘sh’ in place of ‘ch’ while pronouncing them.

cachet, chagrin, chaperon(e), charade, charlatan, chauffeur, crochet, fuchsia, machete, quiche, ricochet, chaise, chalet, chateau, chemise, douche, charlotte etc

Bumble Beez
13-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I think Chef would be a great idea...seeing as tho its probably the only one that will work lol!!

Chef Chantelle...its got a certain ring to it and its easy for the child to recognise too :)

amylouise867
13-08-2013, 08:16 AM
How about

brochure
cache
cachet
champagne
chandelier
chaperone
charade
chauffeur
chauvinist
chef
chic
chiffon
chivalry
chute
cliché
crochet
fuchsia
machete
machine
parachute
quiche
ricochet
chaise
chalet (a type of house in the Alps)
chateau (a large castle in France)
chemise
chinook (a warm dry wind in winter that blows down from the Rocky Mountains)
pistachio
ruche
Chevrolet (a car brand)

Places:
Chicago
Michigan

Know some are not appropriate.

I'd be tempted to go for fuchsia & highlight the 'ch' sound there (underline, make it bold, change its colour) and however you change it do the same with her name so it stands out that they link :)

Chef is also I great one - it's the initial sound if that's what you really want, easy for the children to understand and know what it is and also - may link in with the 'people who help us' topic :)

Let us know what you decide :) xxxxx

FussyElmo
13-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Chips or chocolate :-D

FussyElmo
13-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Or chicken/chick :-)

hectors house
13-08-2013, 08:31 AM
I do the same with pictures that sounds like initial letters in name but one child is called something beginning De and other than a Den or Desert I couldn't find a picture they would understand - didn't want him to think he was called "tent" or "sandy beach", just had to go with a picture of a Deer which isn't the right sound at all! But sometimes life is too short to worry about these things and spending another unpaid hour trying to solve it.

Rick
13-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Or chicken/chick :-)

I think it has to be pronounced 'sh' for Chantelle :D

FussyElmo
13-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I do the same with pictures that sounds like initial letters in name but one child is called something beginning De and other than a Den or Desert I couldn't find a picture they would understand - didn't want him to think he was called "tent" or "sandy beach", just had to go with a picture of a Deer which isn't the right sound at all! But sometimes life is too short to worry about these things and spending another unpaid hour trying to solve it.

I wouldnt have been able to resist a picture of dennis the menace. :-D

FussyElmo
13-08-2013, 09:19 AM
I think it has to be pronounced 'sh' for Chantelle :D

I know but personally I would concentrate on the CH sound :thumbsup:

hectors house
13-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I wouldnt have been able to resist a picture of dennis the menace. :-D

But as that is his name - I thought the others would get jealous and suddenly expect me to find a cartoon character for their name card!

Bumble Beez
13-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Chips or chocolate :-D

Mmmmmm...can I have the chocolate please?!

blue bear
14-08-2013, 01:13 PM
The children voted for chef thank you very much everyone:clapping:

Dilly Daydream
14-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Seems you are sorted but my daughter is Charlotte and her preschool used a chair as her picture on all her bits x