PDA

View Full Version : Do you give parents copy of policies?

S Stars
12-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I am a newly registered child minder and am due to sign my first family in a couple of weeks. I am getting my parent pack together and wondered if i should include a printed copy of all my policies or to email them as there are a lot!
So far have got permission form, all about me, daily routine, menu plan is there anything else I should include?
Thanks x

Mrs Scrubbit
12-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Mine all get copies with a covering note that they sign listing them all, this is return to me and filed in their childs personal folder hthxx

rickysmiths
12-08-2013, 10:50 PM
I expect my parents to sign to say they have read and agree to the Policies and have had a copy. I feel as they have to abide by my Policies the least I can do is to give them a full copy. It is only an 8 page document so not too much in terms of the income from caring for the child.

hectors house
13-08-2013, 06:48 AM
I give my parents a choice of whether they want policies e-mailed so they can store them on their computer or saved to a CD - I have a printed copy kept in my hall if they ever want to check something in a hard copy. Parents then sign a printed sheet saying they have received and read the policies.

S Stars
13-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Thank you!! I think I will offer to email them as quite a few so lots of ink and trees to keep printing them out!!!! Hadn't thought about getting them to sign to say they have read and agreed them! So much to think about!!!
So if I email the p&ps , I have already emailed a welcome leaflet, then will give them a menu, sample routine and document introduction to the eyfs, to take home is that everything?
Then get them to complete all about me, permission forms, contracts is there anything I have missed!?

Thanks in advance!!

Hector's house - how's your chickens!! Ours are being so good a egg each a day!

FizzWizz
13-08-2013, 06:59 AM
I let parents have a read through while they are at my house to sign the contract and they sign to confirm this. I also provide them with an email copy of them all so they have them for future reference. If I update them then I simply send them out again by email....

jazzyjenbo
13-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Yes, i give my parents a hard copy of a contract stating hours etc and all p and p's, i keep a signed copy (everypage has a footer which is signed) in the childs own file along with all bills and attendance record.

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2013, 07:44 AM
I don't give out copies as they do change but will email a pdf if required

SammySplodger
13-08-2013, 07:51 AM
I give Parents a pack which includes all my policies (37 of them at last count) once the contract signed - yes it costs to produce, but I see it as a setup cost. Saves on misunderstandings later on. I use Tescos 40 page display books with clear plastic pockets.

Personally I hated it when the Nursery my kids attended expected me to just read through their policies file in the hallway.

EmmaReed84
13-08-2013, 09:45 AM
My parents are given a parent pack which includes

*Cover sheet with all my contact details and details of my two emergency childminders
*A summary of our contract (just simple plain English Days and hours, fees, payments, holidays etc)
*Their copy of the contract
*A copy of the permissions form and also a "confirmation sheet" which states they have read all my policies
*Ofsted parent poster
*My confidentiality and complaints policy and procedure
*House rules
*HPA guidance on infection control
*Parent guide to EYFS (foundation years)

All my policies are on my website and are readily available in my portfolio. I also offer to email pdf copies, put them on a memory stick (they provide, again PDF version) or print them off for parents.

Usually parents just download them from my website though, which is much easier.

Parent are also advised to keep the parent pack safe as it has important information so should they query anything you can refer them back to the parent pack for most things.

S Stars
13-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks Emma that's given me loads of ideas!

EmmaReed84
13-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks Emma that's given me loads of ideas! 

Do you include signed copy of the permission form or just a blank one so they can see what they have signed?

Thanks again x

I have attached a copy of my permission from and my confirmation sheet.

The last blank page on the permission from is for any additional things such as epi-pens, or other permissions I may need for that individual child. Or for any notes about the permissions given such as one parent had stated that outdoor play equipment was fine, except for the trampoline.

rickysmiths
13-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Thank you!! I think I will offer to email them as quite a few so lots of ink and trees to keep printing them out!!!! Hadn't thought about getting them to sign to say they have read and agreed them! So much to think about!!!
So if I email the p&ps , I have already emailed a welcome leaflet, then will give them a menu, sample routine and document introduction to the eyfs, to take home is that everything?
Then get them to complete all about me, permission forms, contracts is there anything I have missed!?

Thanks in advance!!

Hector's house - how's your chickens!! Ours are being so good a egg each a day! 

Xxx

Be careful to email the document in a format that the parents can't change. You could find you have problems in the future if they can change the document. This is one of the reasons I give a hard copy only then there can be no dispute about what is on it.

rickysmiths
13-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I have attached a copy of my permission from and my confirmation sheet.

The last blank page on the permission from is for any additional things such as epi-pens, or other permissions I may need for that individual child. Or for any notes about the permissions given such as one parent had stated that outdoor play equipment was fine, except for the trampoline.

Emma just an observation. Since Sept 2012 we no longer need written permission to seek emergency care.

I don't think you can get generic permission for any medication prescribed or not ahead of time. You should get written permission when the medication is needed as this will confirm at that time, the time of the last dose, which confirms that there can be no over dose given. I think Ofsted would not like a pre permission.

rickysmiths
13-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't give out copies as they do change but will email a pdf if required

I have written on the bottom of the form they sign that these policies may change or be updated at any time due to a revision by myself or a change in legislation.

S Stars
13-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks so much Emma that's really kind if you to share them

EmmaReed84
13-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Emma just an observation. Since Sept 2012 we no longer need written permission to seek emergency care.

I don't think you can get generic permission for any medication prescribed or not ahead of time. You should get written permission when the medication is needed as this will confirm at that time, the time of the last dose, which confirms that there can be no over dose given. I think Ofsted would not like a pre permission.

You are right in what you are saying about the seeking emergency medical attention, it is not a requirement, however after much talk about it with my DO I thought I would rather have something that protects against any possible allegations. Then not have it.

Also the permission for medicine is non-prescribed medicine which ofsted has already seen. I also have a seperate form for children who require prescribed medication/epi-pens etc, and when a parent comes to say a child has had medicine I fill in a form. If not and I have give it, I will inform parent, fill out another form with all the details that parent has to sign upon collection and this is kept in the child's record folder.

Again, Ofsted have seen this and were quite happy with it.