PDA

View Full Version : storing chalks

Helen79
12-08-2013, 08:04 PM
sorry for the really boring thread but I'm getting fed up with chalks being dumped on the floor then either getting trodden on and making a mess or being left out and getting ruined in the rain.
Just wondering how everyone stores chalks outside? I've tried plastic tubs but then the lid just gets left off and they get rained on and end up in a mush.

emma04
12-08-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm harsh, but if my chalks/pencils/crayons etc are not put back in their lidded tub, then they are taken away!
My 3 are almost 3yrs and learned very quickly, even my 20mth old puts them back in the tub!
It's a habit that needs to be instilled by persistence!!
Every toy has a place in this house and they get put back correctly most of the time. I also use pictorial labels to help them remember where everything goes.
Sorry, no other ideas x

sarah707
12-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I supervise very closely and teach the children to put things back in their box :)

hectors house
12-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I have chunky outdoor chalks in a metal tin which I keep in utility room- I hand a chalk to each child and when they have finished with it they have to give it back - got sick and tired of finding them stamped into patio or floating in water tray or a soggy lump when left out in rain!

loocyloo
12-08-2013, 08:41 PM
mine live in a lidded tub inside, and the children have a few in a lidded tub outside ... sometimes it gets missed in a quick tidy up and has been known to be full of rain! however, its interesting watching what happens to the chalks that are all wet! ;)

I also have one 'darling' who has taken to carving the big chalks to make icing for her sand cakes !!!!

If the chalk board is inside, then the chalks stay in a bucket hanging at the side and everyone QUICKLY learns that the chalks GO BACK IN THE BUCKET!!! ( its the chalk dust all over the floor that bugs me! )

Supernanny86
12-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Mine are stored inside, they put them away in the box (old shoe box) otherwise they have them no more!!

One of mine had an awful habit of throwing chucking everything!! I've got him to be a lot better and this even includes putting toys away properly, even the chalks!!!! :)

But I'm harsh too :)

MessybutHappy
12-08-2013, 10:12 PM
With one I don't have this problem, he prefers to eat chalk rather than draw with it!
But with the remainder, it's the same, remind, remind, remind. They get the message eventually! And it's stored in lidded boxes too, too prevent three eater from eating!!

kel1983
13-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Our soon learn to pick them up as I have a minor phobia of chalks. I hate to pick them up so they children are made to pick them up if they are dropped :panic:

blue bear
13-08-2013, 06:12 AM
I use a soap powder box(liquid tabs) the lid flops shut by itself, I just put one of each colour outside so it limits the damage but to be honest a few ruined chalks don't really bother me, they chalk better when they have had a good soaking.

Bumble Beez
13-08-2013, 06:30 AM
Mine came in a lidded box so that's where they stay!!
They're then put on the shelf in the shed...but I agree that chalks often work a little better when they're damp :)

greanan
13-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Mine are in a lidded box in the playhouse. They tend to take the box to where they're drawing outside and I remind them to put them back in box

FizzWizz
13-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Stored on the easel inside and a a lidded box outside. From a pretty young age they seem to learn to put them back when they have been reminded and rewarded with a bit clap for putting them back :-)

Supernanny86
13-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Our soon learn to pick them up as I have a minor phobia of chalks. I hate to pick them up so they children are made to pick them up if they are dropped :panic:

I do hate the chalk touching my nails!! :)

singingcactus
13-08-2013, 10:49 AM
They make great sidewalk paint when they are wet and smushy :)

The lid sometimes goes on ours, if we are organised, and if the chalks even made it to the tub. Otherwise we collect what is left after a rain storm and use them, or we get a paintbrush if they made it to a tub but without a lid.
The chalks indoors stay on the table. If they come off the table I put something else out instead.

ziggy
13-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Keep ours inside in lidded container. When we get them out i watch closely and they know, as with other toys/equipment they have to be tidied away before snack/lunch etc

I am a v v v grumpy old childminder lol