PDA

View Full Version : Tempting proposition... What do you think?

EmmaReed84
12-08-2013, 02:49 PM
As some of you already know MIL is also a CM. She has a fair sized house with an conservatory which she currently uses as her playroom. Her garden is also quite big and she has a large building which is currently used as a bar. It has running water, heating, electricity, even a little toilet which has a shower in there (FIL built the shower as MIL used to kick him out the house and he would sleep in the bar LOL). It has an actual bar with a fridge and shelving and can be closed off so no access.

Anyway, we got chatting about it and as the bar has been "closed" for a while because it caused too many problems, we have considered using it for childcare and hiring another two assistants and registering as "Childcare on a domestic premises"

We thought that we could use the existing playroom as a dining room and rotate who cooks dinner for the evenings, and use the "bar" as the main "setting"

We said that we would merge all our existing clients (if they were OK with it), take on new clients and have them pay into a joint business account then pay ourselves (and the assistants) from that account, a percentage of the income.

Because the bar belongs to MIL and will use her gas/water/electric etc I said the business could also pay a rent (get a proper legal contract for it) say something like £75 a week to cover the ground costs.

We know we still have A LOT of talking to do and really need to make sure we iron everything out... But as an initial thought, what do you guys think? What things would we need to consider? What can you see as a downfall?

Maza
12-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Do you have a similar work ethos? Are you both similar on paperwork? I would worry about it putting a strain on our relationship. Sounds very interesting though! Keep us posted. x

EmmaReed84
12-08-2013, 03:02 PM
I am better on the business side and paperwork, she is better with the activities (well the actual DOING them, I generally think of what to do lol)

I already help her now with her paperwork so this would be no different, I think she just needs more confidence in what she is doing.

MIL is has said she would probably do this job for the next 15 or so years (she is 50) and FIL has said a few years before she looks to stopping he will build a similar building in my garden (my garden is bigger and hi built his one) then I would move it to my property and hire deputy manager. But that would be YEARS down the line.

hectors house
12-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I am better on the business side and paperwork, she is better with the activities (well the actual DOING them, I generally think of what to do lol)

I already help her now with her paperwork so this would be no different, I think she just needs more confidence in what she is doing.

MIL is has said she would probably do this job for the next 15 or so years (she is 50) and FIL has said a few years before she looks to stopping he will build a similar building in my garden (my garden is bigger and hi built his one) then I would move it to my property and hire deputy manager. But that would be YEARS down the line.

Sounds fantastic - how often do you spend the whole working day with your MIL? - would recommend you try working at her house with her for a couple of weeks before you take things any further (I know it would be in her house rather than the bar area).

munch149
12-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Sounds fantastic - how often do you spend the whole working day with your MIL? - would recommend you try working at her house with her for a couple of weeks before you take things any further (I know it would be in her house rather than the bar area).

Yes I agree try spending a couple of weeks doing most things together in either of your houses. Go to a groups together, outings together, spend time in each others houses just to check you can work well together

munch149
12-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Also I just had a nose at your website and on the first two main pages you don't say where you are based. Might be an idea to do so lol

EmmaReed84
12-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Thank you, I definitely think the working together is a good idea. Best to try that first and see how we get on before we start to think about anything else.

Well have a look at my site again and fix the location issue LOL... Didn't think about that :rolleyes:

bindy
12-08-2013, 08:47 PM
It could work OK. I am doing something similar after Christmas, but will be giving a child minder from the North some days. She can not get work where she lives and I will be paying her a good wage compared to what she would earn up there. The difference being we will not be equal, ( well we are equal but I will be taking her on to work for me) I will also have an assistant. I am going to expand moving into a huge house with big gardens, garage which will be converted into another play room. In the next two years my barn will be ready and hope to open a Day care, so this will be good practise!. Anyway I think your idea is a good one ,some times you need to take a chance, what is the worst that will happen if it all goes tits up!! Good luck !

christine e
12-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Would you need planning permission to do this?

Bumble Beez
13-08-2013, 06:27 AM
I think its wonderful news and a great idea...I worked alongside my mum and MIL for 5 years and never really had any problems at all...it all worked well and we all just clicked!
It's only changed recently due to their personal commitments and me wanting to cut back a little :)
I say go for it...it would be a great opportunity and you'll always wonder 'what if' if you don't...
Keep us posted Emma :thumbsup:

blue bear
13-08-2013, 06:53 AM
What are the differences between childcare on domestic premises and childminding? Annual membership, planning permission, insurance that sort of thing, do you have to pay business rates?
Obviously if you take on staff you need to look into payroll, sick leave maternity etc. health and safety law comes into play especially when there are five staff things get more complicated, things like breaks, toilets parking.

Practical things like planning, shopping resources, what happens if mil sick or on holiday does the business still run from her house?

What if you can't agree on something who has the final say? What if there was a complaint who takes the lead.

EmmaReed84
13-08-2013, 06:57 AM
What are the differences between childcare on domestic premises and childminding? Annual membership, planning permission, insurance that sort of thing, do you have to pay business rates?
Obviously if you take on staff you need to look into payroll, sick leave maternity etc. health and safety law comes into play especially when there are five staff things get more complicated, things like breaks, toilets parking.

Practical things like planning, shopping resources, what happens if mil sick or on holiday does the business still run from her house?

What if you can't agree on something who has the final say? What if there was a complaint who takes the lead.

Thank you, this is exactly what we need to discuss. I think sometimes having an outsider think of all the angles is easier than trying to figure it al out yourself. I had not considered such thinks like sick pay or maternity so definitely something to look in to.

I think we would first just work together and perhaps take on just one assistant (or two part timers) and see hows that works first, then look to expand if things so well. Sort of like a natural progression I guess!

Thank you :thumbsup:

smurfette
13-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi I worked with a friend and it was a disaster! We No longer have a friendship which is an awful shame.

We spent nearly every day together anyway and I felt we parented and minded similarly, but as she wanted to come to my house and I already had mindees in place she was limited as to how many she could have , and obviously as there was going to be extra wear and tear on my house and jr was my equipment I wanted some money towards this so we agreed
On a percentage which maybe was a mistake ..
She didn't bother to fill her spaces (lots of business here and i have never had a problem filling vacancies but she wasnt trying at all) when she lost a couple during the settling in period,
And so I ended up losing money because I was feeding her and her son and not getting very much money in! They ate us out of house and home and she sat on her phone a lot of the time while I was run ragged looking after loads of kids!

I felt like I got snappy with her and turned into something I didn't want to be and after a few weeks of trying to guide her and hint and tell her. I told her it wasn't working and I would rather save the friendship.. My reason was I couldn't cope with all the extra people in the house And she said that she had noticed I was finding it hard!!! So why didn't she prevent it?!!!

We tried to keep up the friendship after until I got notice from an after schoolie (who I was going to give notice to as I had had enough so I was delighted to see him go!) but the mum didn't give me the correct notice period and sent
Him to my 'friend' (child told Me all this) I was really mad because she didn't know I didn't care about the notice and was glad to see him go so I felt she felt she had got one up on me if you see what I mean? So I didn't bother after that . I felt like she just used me for what she could get and she was saying to our friends that I had let her down (she is a single mum on benefits and it would have been a great opportunity for her) but my hubby couldn't stand the whole thing and it was really stressful and started to cause a rift between me and dh so enough was enough

Just to give you another side to it, I did sit down with her and iron out anything I thought would cause problems but it didn't make a difference in the end!

Sorry for rant !