PDA

View Full Version : Helppp

lorettacritchet
12-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi, I know this issue is probably worn out but I am so stuck on how to work on a progress check for a 2 year old child.
I don't know what words to start off with, how to word it in a positive manner as this girl doesn't like to mix with kids, her speech is very limited for this age and is at the age of throwing tantrums but then those are the bad days, when she feels like it she can be quite good girl and has a habit, if in the mood to smile and laugh at my daughter's antics on the guitar lol....

Does anyone have some form of a sample which I could build on?

I have mental notes of where this child is doing well and where not. Also where the boxes state developmental stage - if this child is more in one age development stage but also a little in the next stage, do I tick both?

I hate who ever imposed this check!!!

vals
12-08-2013, 06:13 PM
I used the examples from this page
https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/doing_business/running_your_business/early_years_and_childcare/running/ey_foundation_stage/early_assessment.aspx

jackie 7
12-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Make sure that you say what you think is a problem. You sign the form and it can be considered a legal document. The thing about the check is that it sums up everything you have talked to the parents about. I say that I will work on the issued I have raised.

blue bear
12-08-2013, 07:18 PM
I use the development matters, I write statements from there but personalised to the child.
Such as Amy plays alongside others, she enjoys the sand doing her own thing filling up buckets next to the other children.

I list all the things Amy can do. I put emerging next to the higher age bracket that the child is showing some development towards, and secure against the age bracket the child can do most of the developemnt things in.

I don't have a child called Amy by the way.

hectors house
12-08-2013, 08:49 PM
I try to balance a negative comment with a positive one - I have another one to do, he was 2 in April - they generally do checks at 2 1/2 here but don't want to get caught out so guess I had better start doing it soon.

I put my own statements linked to observations but may put "working towards" for example you could put - likes playing on her own but working towards "show interest in others play and am starting to join in"

Don't worry too much about how you word it - there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way - just as long as it is an accurate account of the child and you highlight any potential problems or development delays.

MessybutHappy
12-08-2013, 09:55 PM
I had a table with a row for each area, first column stated the area, second was 8-20 months (or whichever one is the best fit) and emerging, developing or secure, and then I put in a sentence in the last column that justified why I'd chosen the stage brackets, always saying Freddy can....

Then at the end another table with next steps or targets as agreed with the parents. This reads "Support Freddy to...", or "Freddy is benefiting from continued focus on...."

PS I don't have a Freddy either!