PDA

View Full Version : Taking on an apprentice... Any advice?

EmmaReed84
12-08-2013, 05:40 AM
Hello can anyone give as much info as poss about taking on an apprentice. As in what would I need to do? What would they be allowed to do? Insurance, paperwork etc.

I have just signed up a parent who runs childcare courses and has said they will do apprenticeships and I had thought before about taking one on as I know it would be cheaper than hiring an assistant, also I was told by my Parent that the first one you take on you get a grant to help you out a bit.

Can anyone offer any advise?

Bumble Beez
12-08-2013, 05:43 AM
Sorry Emma I cant offer any advice as such...altho this website helped when my hubby had his apprentice...and yes there is a grant available in certain areas.

Home - Apprenticeships (http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/)

I would be interested in others input tho as I've considered it myself :)

pinklady756
12-08-2013, 07:13 PM
I've just taken on an apprentice, and definitely recommend it. I was fortunate to find a lovely girl who lives locally and has fit in perfectly!!

It's been straight forward to set up and took about 9 weeks in total (mainly because the DBS check took 8 weeks). There is a grant of £1500, I've applied for this and hope it comes through as I can afford to pay my assistant much more than the minimum apprentice wage then.

There are lots of discussions about assistants here - Registered Assistants and co-minders (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/registered-assistants-co-minders/)

EmmaReed84
13-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Pinklady, thank you for your reply.

Can I ask, is there any additional paperwork that you need to do for the apprentice? Like reports and such like? Also are they just like assistants, count towards increasing numbers and be left alone with children (obviously after doing a first aid and only for school runs)

pinklady756
13-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Pinklady, thank you for your reply.

Can I ask, is there any additional paperwork that you need to do for the apprentice? Like reports and such like? Also are they just like assistants, count towards increasing numbers and be left alone with children (obviously after doing a first aid and only for school runs)

With the training provider there is some paperwork for the apprenticeship including a contract between you, apprentice and training provider and forms to claim the employer grant.

For mine her assessor will visit every 6 weeks and will want talk to me during this, I don't believe there would be any reports, perhaps 'write up' for evidence maybe.

They are an assistant like anyone else, just they are completing their training at the same time, and our responsibility as the employee is to give them on the job training too. They count in our ratio's and can be left alone with the appropriate permission, training etc in place.

I've read your other thread about registering as a limited company, and personally don't think that would be necessary at all. I'm taking on an an extra 2 children so will have 4/5 under 5 between us.