PDA

View Full Version : Ministers demand action to overturn nursery 'cuddle ban'

Simona
11-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Is it right to deprive children of affection?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10233117/Ministers-demand-action-to-overturn-nursery-cuddle-bans.html

SYLVIA
11-08-2013, 09:22 PM
If a child needs a hug then they should get one. I don't go around hugging the little ones but when it's needed then they get one. What a sad world when a child can't have the basic and simple form of comfort and affection

blue bear
11-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Bonkers. I know a child minder that does high fives instead of kisses and cuddles, even babies are not allowed to sit on her lap. To me that's weird.

MessybutHappy
11-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Is it right to deprive children of affection?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10233117/Ministers-demand-action-to-overturn-nursery-cuddle-bans.html

Of course it's not, even the article says so!
I recognise the fear though, and understand a belt and braces approach to help manage and protect staff in a nursery setting, but affection can and must be shown, if managers want to guide staff in written form it needs to be set against the duty we have to nurture the children. The bits quoted don't include this, it's very one sided, but it may be selective journalism!

Simona
12-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Of course it's not, even the article says so!
I recognise the fear though, and understand a belt and braces approach to help manage and protect staff in a nursery setting, but affection can and must be shown, if managers want to guide staff in written form it needs to be set against the duty we have to nurture the children. The bits quoted don't include this, it's very one sided, but it may be selective journalism!

I wonder who will be giving 2 year olds affection if they are to go into school at that age?
as far as we know Gove wants to get rid of teaching assistants

will the teachers be able to do so while supervising 'structured' activities, who will comfort children when they miss their mummy, who will 'kiss it better' when they fall in the playground?

very sad really!

bindy
12-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Bonkers. I know a child minder that does high fives instead of kisses and cuddles, even babies are not allowed to sit on her lap. To me that's weird.

Wow. I wonder if she tells the parents this at interviews? I would never leave my baby/child with someone like that.

Simona
12-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Follow up to the article

Nurseries must end the ban on kissing and cuddling children which is stunting their development, minister says | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388521/Nurseries-end-ban-kissing-cuddling-children-stunting-development-minister-says.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

MessybutHappy
12-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I regularly watch both teachers and ta's look after tearful children in the playground with huge amounts of care and compassion, whilst I don't like the idea of two year olds attending "school" I think we need to be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush and instead acknowledge that in some instances, children get more care and feel more loved in school where they receive kind words and kind smiles, a touch on the shoulder or a helping hand to cross the stepping stones. Sad, but true.