PDA

View Full Version : Where do you use safety gates?

sprinkles
11-08-2013, 07:24 PM
I've got one at the top of the stairs due to playroom being upstairs. Was going to put one at the bottom but little ones would never be alone downstairs (they wouldn't be upstairs either but it's in case I'm changing a nappy in the bathroom because I will leave the door open so can hear them) and it's easier for them to fall downstairs than upstairs.....

Can't decide if I need to put another one anywhere? The one at the top of the stairs has got quite a small opening so if I don't need another one I may sell them both and buy one with a wider opening.

hectors house
11-08-2013, 08:19 PM
I always think stair gates at top of stairs are a real big trip hazzard especially for adults - I prefer to have stairgates across the upstairs door ways - but only use them if having child sleep overnight.

I just have a stairgate into my kitchen as there isn't a door - to keep mindees out and dogs in - have just replaced that one with a wooden one from Argos that doesn't have a bar at the bottom and opens out the whole width - I have far less bruises on my thighs and haven't tripped over either. Would recommend these for top of stairs.

sprinkles
11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Yeah I'm thinking of getting one of those as it's quite hard to step over and down at the same time. Will take a look, thanks :)

Nicola Carlyle
11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
I have retractable (roller blind style) stair gates at the top and bottom of my stairs. They are amazing and you wouldn't even know they were there when not in use. I have one at the bottom of my stairs to stop little people climbing upstairs other than for nap time and one at the top that I close when they go to bed incase they get out the cots and out the rooms so they don't fall down. x

Glitter
11-08-2013, 08:25 PM
I have stairgates on the bottom of the stairs (my playroom is downstairs). I have one on my kitchen doorway in case I have the oven on to stop little ones opening it, but it can be taken off when I am not minding.

I also have a folding stairgate that I can use on the top of the stairs (sometimes I need to take a little one up with me) or on my patio door etc. It has been very useful can can be used anywhere (even outside) without any fittings.

If you were buying a new stairgate with a wider opening you can get one like a roller blind (Lascal Kiddieguard I think). They are removable when not needed so you could get two lots of wall fixing and move it from the top to the bottom of the stairs if you needed too. Hope all this makes sense as it has been a long day!

sprinkles
11-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Wow, they're expensive!!! I've reserved one with no trip bit on the bottom at Argos so will go get it tomorrow :)

nikki thomson
12-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Wow, they're expensive!!! I've reserved one with no trip bit on the bottom at Argos so will go get it tomorrow :)

My goodness I've just googled them, now wow what a fab stair gate but £145!!!!!! That's insane for a stair gate. My dh would have an absolute fit if I spent that on a stair gate. X

Nicola Carlyle
12-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Try eBay for second hand ones. I got the lascal kiddy guard retractable ones for £50, £35 and £32 (I have 3!) I got them from places like gum tree, local selling pages and asking around. X

Maza
12-08-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't have one and Ofsted were fine with it. I live in a flat though, so no stairs! x

Bumble Beez
12-08-2013, 01:33 PM
I've got one on the kitchen door so that the dogs can sleep in peace lol...
And one at the bottom of the stairs so that little ones who have that fascination with climbing them can't just dash up!! They can be super fast at times :laughing:

MessybutHappy
12-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Top and bottom of stairs, they don't have a bar on the bottom so no trip hazard, and a spare one for doorways just in case. Top of stairs is mostly only used at night in case my own children get up for a pee, they can be very unaware!

maisiemog
12-08-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't have any now! I'm afterschool only now so don't feel I need them. Prior to this I only had them at the bottom of the stairs. I don't use upstairs for minding in any circumstance and felt at the top it was less safe to have one than not have one!

I took them down about a year ago when my baby mindee left. My next youngest was 3.5 and old enough to know not to go upstairs. I don't miss them and if I do take on an EY child I am seriously considering only doing age 3+.

fionamadcat
13-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I have 1 at the bottom of the stairs and 1 over kitchen door, both there to stop the baby also for the dogs! Would keep them there even if I had no little mindees as I was woken this morning with a dog licking my face as ds forgot to shut it when he went down for a drink during night!

emma04
13-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't use stair gates once children can walk. (By now they should be learning how to do stairs!)

In 6 years the only one that has fallen is my dd2 (3 times!) and me, although that tends to be falling up (whilst rushing) rather than down!
(I feel I may have now tempted fate!)

Before walking I use them at the bottom of stairs and across the kitchen doorway.

I occasionally use across the playroom door but only if DH is in and out of front door (leaving it open constantly!)

migimoo
13-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I have a fixed one at the bottom of the stairs and a detachable one at the top which I only use on the rare occasion I have to go upstairs and take babies with me.

I also have one in the kitchen doorway (to keep lo's out when i'm cooking) and one into the utility room (this is where the dog goes for some peace or if we're eating)

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2013, 04:22 PM
No don't have any - I teach the children to go up and down stairs as soon as they are mobile. I am split level so it I need to I block off the downstairs ones with my sofa