PDA

View Full Version : do i need to close???

jojobell
11-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Hiya, need some advice pronto............. i need to have a new bolior fitted asap ready for the winter, my old ones had it and i really struggled last year to keep my house at a sutuible temp for the children......... had back up heaters on stand by............anyway decided its gotta be done, i work full time and every bolior bloke i have spoke to will not work weekends, so will have to be done in the week......... just wondering if i can stay open for this, is it classed as majior work or maintance?? My husband will be overseeing the fitting and i would be giving the children my full atention, my bolior is in my kitctchen so i wouldnt be able to provide any meals (we been told 2 days for the work). were keeping the old system, rads pipes ect so its just the bolior being changed. Was going to just close (id rather close) but ive just had 6 weeks mat leave and i know the family whose son i have on that day will struggle with care........... so just asking peoples opion......................~??.

AgentTink
11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I recently had to have a new boiler fitted, but mine only took one day for the work to be completed. Like you my boiler was in the kitchen. I simply informed the parents and made sure they were okay. I bought sandwichs the day before and plenty of fruits,, bottle water, crisps etc and for tea we had sausage and chips from the chippy. It was simple enought to say to boiler fitters when i needed the kettle or microwave as those tasks only took a few minutes. My partner was around too, so i made sure to spend 2 hours outdoors at the park, and the rest of the time in the house my kids slept in the afternoon for 2 hours, and the rest of the time they could access the playroom and lounge so no real disturbance.

funemnx
11-08-2013, 04:21 PM
I carried on working - mine only took one day as far as I can remember... :thumbsup:

jojobell
11-08-2013, 04:59 PM
thanks for your replies, did you inform ofstead?? are we suposed to? obvioisly il risk acsess and inform the parents! thanks

sarah707
11-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Mine took a day - I just closed off the front of the house so they went up and down the stairs - and worked in the back - and we went out - it was fine and I did a RA but didn't tell Ofsted :D

hectors house
11-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Looks like from the advice given you can stay open - just be prepared with drinks and meals, risk assess having work men in your house - eg: do you leave children downstairs while you put babies up to bed, will the workmen have to share same toilet as children - do older children use toilet unsupervised? Could workmen go upstairs when babies are sleeping without you knowing? - depends on layout of your house.

When I had oak flooring fitted in my hall - when the children went upstairs to sleep, I stayed upstairs and cleaned the bathroom (although I knew the carpenters really well - I just wanted to make sure that no one went upstairs when I was in the lounge).

charlottenash
11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
What area are you? My gas fitter oh works weekends!

jojobell
12-08-2013, 05:23 PM
thanks for your replies