PDA

View Full Version : fire blanket

dawntom
11-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Does it have to be a certain kite mark. I have found this one, is that ok?
Economy fire blanket for Home kitchen (http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/economy-fire-blanket.html?&cat=26)

dawntom
11-08-2013, 12:01 PM
I've just found a cheaper one on amazon i think i will get. I assume it is ok
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Blanket-1m-x/dp/B003RUJFM4/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_y

rickysmiths
11-08-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't have one since Sept 2012. I took it down with glee as it was paying lip service to Ofsted anyway, I would never have used it if I was childminding and I hated having it on my kitchen wall!

Our duty is to get children out of the house if there is a fire and not stay to fight a fire. You should be trained to use even a Fire Blanket and I have never seen any LA offer such Training in the 19 years I have been a childminder.

In my former employment (a Catering manager) I was sent on a 2 day course to learn how to use a Fire Blanket and the different Extinguishers and at work I was not allowed to use the items until I had completed the training.

sarah707
11-08-2013, 05:26 PM
A fire blanket is no longer a requirement of the EYFS 2012 - however, a lot of Ofsted inspectors will still look for one and my fire safety officer told me it was very good practice to have one.

It's not something I would skimp on to be honest - spend money and get a proper one with a kite mark - at least then you know if there is a tea towel fire or you catch clothing on the gas, you can cover yourself with the blanket quickly and it's going to work properly.

Hth :D

MessybutHappy
11-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm with Sarah, and have one, not for the gas catching my teatowel because I have electric, but because we have bbq's and candles on occasion! I too have been trained to use them (several times!) and would suggest that as a minimum you look on you tube or somewhere for a demonstration, it's not as obvious as you'd think to use one without making things worse!

dawntom
11-08-2013, 07:37 PM
thanks will definately get one then :)

mum24
14-08-2013, 07:34 PM
I have only just seen this post.
I have a fire blanket, I have had it since I registered, and so I suspect it should be renewed soon.
However, I did attend training for what to do in the event of a fire, and the trainer, a fireman with 20plus years experience, said that unless someone has been trained in how to use a blanket, they are likely to cause more damage than if not used. I wont go into details, but when he demonstrated the way that most untrained people use a blanket, (exactly the way I would have used it) it was obvious that it was dangerous.
He recommended as part of the training that a blanket was never used to try to contain a fire, by someone on their own with children, even if they had training, and that the safest thing to do was to get out as quickly as possible.
The best use for a fire blanket is to wrap someone in it, if they are unfortunate enough to be on fire.
So as I said, I still have mine, but I would never use it, apart from on a person.
I haven't looked but I think that it should be easy to see how to use one on Youbube.

dawntom
15-08-2013, 07:43 PM
my fire blanket came today and it dosen't have a kite mark is this a problem, should i send it back and get a different one?

scottishlass
15-08-2013, 10:57 PM
my fire blanket came today and it dosen't have a kite mark is this a problem, should i send it back and get a different one?

Yeah I would send it back. I am in Scotland and we have to have a fire blanket and the first one I ordered in time for my fire inspection with the local fire crew didn't have the kite mark and they told me not to use it and to send it back x