PDA

View Full Version : No pants potty train theory

KatieFS
09-08-2013, 04:54 PM
A parent has asked me to accommodate request for her lo to wear no underwear for 3 months, to support new potty training regime. No pants for 3 months?!?
Anyone know about it!?
I have said no as I need her to wear pants - 1/hygiene if her nappy area exposed she sits on floor etc.
2/ not appropriate for other children to see her nappy area
Am I being too harsh?!?

tulip0803
09-08-2013, 05:05 PM
No No No No No!!!!

You are right.

We are childcare settings and we cannot have children running around with no pants on for hygiene reasons (not to mention unrestricted wee flowing on to your floors).

And she has to be covered for your own protection as it could leave you open to accusations even though the parent has given you permission.

Does she want you to stay at home for 3 months while the child has no clothes on the lower half?????

Angela234
09-08-2013, 05:05 PM
I would say the same as you

shortstuff
09-08-2013, 05:14 PM
I would agree with the others x if the mum wants no pants for 3months she needs to organise leave from work for that duration. she wouldnt ask a nursery to do this for the same reasons. its inappropriate.

Wheelybug
09-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I had a parent make a similar request (not for 3 months though!) I said no too! My reasons were the same as yours but I was also I was worried about the fact that I may be leaving my husband and son (even though he's only 11) vulnerable to accusations.

Cathy x.

AliceK
09-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Yep I've been asked this in the past too and said no for all those reasons.

You are right to say No.

xxxx

KatieFS
09-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Thank you everybody! I thought so but so good to get some support.
I hadn't thought about the safeguarding issue so thank you for bringing that to my attention
X x

blue bear
09-08-2013, 07:09 PM
My rule is, potty train in clothes otherwise you have to train. Them twice. It should only take a few days and almost a week any longer and they are not ready, best to go back to nappy and try again in a couple of weeks.

lilac_dragon
09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
I agree with every one of the comments but what about the biggest one I can think of - There's no way I'm taking a child to the shops, park or on the school run with a naked bottom half!! Yet- if you're doing no pants then it's no pants anywhere, not just in your house. Ask her if she would take her child outin public with no pants on.

hectors house
09-08-2013, 08:38 PM
If child is ready then potty training should only take about a week of staying home close to potty - most of my mindees are part time so I just tell parents to start for example Thur, Fri, Sat & Sun and not go out at all and then I will carry on where they left off on the Monday! For full time parents I would expect them to take a few days off to start training. Have never heard anything so silly as no pants for 3 months!

KatieFS
09-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Sorry just to clarify!

Parent wants child to wear no underwear for 3 months. So if she is wearing shorts quite likely her nappy area will be exposed, especially when sitting..

Also this child does have a tendency to fiddle about with the area ...if u know what I mean!

So it's still a no all round from me
Also thought this little girl has had infection there from said area. So another reason for no- cotton rubbing on nappy area.

charlottenash
10-08-2013, 06:30 AM
To compromise tell mum to have a few 'pulling up and down pants' lessons with child. I did this with my son before potty training and it made all the difference that he was confident pulling his trousers and pants up and down.

hectors house
10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
To compromise tell mum to have a few 'pulling up and down pants' lessons with child. I did this with my son before potty training and it made all the difference that he was confident pulling his trousers and pants up and down.

Agree with this, I look after a little one who is nearly 2 1/2 - thinking about starting to potty train in September when he gets back from his holiday, however this little boy is very lazy and won't attempt to do things for himself - sometimes he just sits with his lunch in front of him and won't attempt to pick up spoon or his cup (if it doesn't have lid on) - so I have started not pulling his trousers up after I have changed his nappy and encouraging him to try to pull them up by himself. This is surely a vital skill to learn before starting potty training!

KatieFS
11-08-2013, 10:50 PM
The family are lovely and are starting to use pants.
It does just make me feel frustrated when we've just coming back from nearly 3 weeks holiday and they start potty training in this way with less than 6 days to go.
Sorry bit of a moan!

jazzyjenbo
12-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I think you need to share with the parent the new government campaign about encouraging children to wear pants at all times.. She can have undie free time at home if the parents choose that method but with you its draws up i'm afraid.. And thats coming from a childminding mum of a currently potty training 2 1/2 yr old son who wet 5 lots of clothes today!! (but we put new pants on straight away!!)

CLL
13-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Why would it take 3 months! Sounds like a bad theory/plan if it takes this long. 1 week is enough time. And yes pants stay on.

FizzWizz
13-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Fine it heir own home but definitely not in mine! Like others have said I would just emphasise the fairly major hygiene, safeguarding and limitatns to taking other children out issues!

KatieFS
13-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Good idea to share the pants is private campaign! Ill do that

One accident so far in the car. She is doing well but can't pull pants/trousers up or down.. But it's eat days

Thanks for your help all

ziggy
13-08-2013, 11:09 AM
I potty trained two mindees a few months ago. I was advised years ago that boys do better wearing boxers or shorts rather than tight pants.

So first week J wore shorts with nothing on underneath. He had poo accident on cream carpet and it took ages to remove stain on cream carpet.

And surely if child doesnt wear anything will they always be aware they are wet?

Louise_Oaktree
14-08-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm going to disagree (please don't shoot me!) but perhaps it's because I have just gone through this as a parent and as a Childminder.

I have just potty trained 3 mindees (2, 2 and 3) and I have always used this technique with my own 2 boys. Children can use the potty without asking and get used to being independent right from the start.

I understand all the concerns but as a Childminder I feel we can be more flexible with this type of request than a nursery and that's what Childminding is all about. If it's done at the right time only takes a matter of 1-2 weeks. I use pants in public by the way, just in case anyone was wondering! And a long t-shirt can hide a lot :)

KatieFS
15-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Not offended at all. We've all got different views, no pants is not for me and feel that i should think of my children.
Also this child has been known to fiddle if ypu know what i mean.. so felt it was best overall option

AliceK
15-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm going to disagree (please don't shoot me!) but perhaps it's because I have just gone through this as a parent and as a Childminder.

I have just potty trained 3 mindees (2, 2 and 3) and I have always used this technique with my own 2 boys. Children can use the potty without asking and get used to being independent right from the start.

I understand all the concerns but as a Childminder I feel we can be more flexible with this type of request than a nursery and that's what Childminding is all about. If it's done at the right time only takes a matter of 1-2 weeks. I use pants in public by the way, just in case anyone was wondering! And a long t-shirt can hide a lot :)

But what about photo's? I spend all day snapping photos, most don't ever get used but I would be too concerned if a child had no pants on I might accidently get them flashing their bits in a photo and that could have all sorts of problems. I just wouldn't leave myself open to any possible allegations by agreeing to do no pants training.

xxx

hectors house
15-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Surely learning to pull pants up and down should be taught before potty training? What is the point of only being half independent?

dette
15-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm a mother of 7 and have always potty trained with no undies on at first.All of mine have been totally dry before they were 2.I find I get loads less ccidents so its much more hygienic .They just run to potty and plonk down on it.without those precious few seconds needed for pulling down underwear ,Once they've got this sorted (usually a couple of days)I introduce undies and do a few days of that then add trousers.If we go out I obviously dress LO ,make sure they've had a wee before we go and take a potty with me.Ive potty trained loads of mindees like this very successfully if this is what parents want.
.I like to time it round a quiet few days to start with to get a good go at it and I have tiny pkts of chocolate buttons for doing a poo(my youngest son used to deposit a tiny poo every half an hour so it worked out expensive LOL)
We all do things differenty ,this works for me but might not be everyones cup of tea

charlottenash
15-08-2013, 07:44 PM
What do u do when you have different sex mindees? I can't imagine the questions I'd get asked if any of them started going about with no pants/knickers!

ziggy
16-08-2013, 07:28 AM
What do u do when you have different sex mindees? I can't imagine the questions I'd get asked if any of them started going about with no pants/knickers!

I find I get those questions anyway, as they will all be in and out of bathroom when i'm changing nappies. Never forget two four year olds I had couple of years ago (both only had brothers), they talked for days after seeing me change girl mindees nappy. Funniest comment, 'how can you do a piddle if you dont have a penis':laughing:

charlottenash
16-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Hahahahaha!!! That made me smile!

Daftbat
16-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Morning!!!

I am going to disagree in part too.

I have always found that right at the start of training if there is "something" covering the bum then the child is likely to just "go". I have had great success with getting the child to go "commando" just right at the start or just for parts of the day. As someone else said - if the potty is available and no pants to mess with the child can easily get on the potty and just go. I definitely wouldn't advocate for 3 months, all the time (3 months is ridiculous and if it takes that long the child wasn't ready at the beginning!)

Samijanec
16-08-2013, 08:17 PM
My son was potty trained at 18 months using this method, worked fantastic. Not sure about potty training some one else's child like that though..

charlottenash
16-08-2013, 09:48 PM
My son was potty trained at 18 months using this method, worked fantastic. Not sure about potty training some one else's child like that though..

How long did it take you? I bet it wasn't 3 months because you know when your child's ready :)

karen m
16-08-2013, 10:42 PM
I had a parent 3 months ago say H was going toilet at home no accidents although this was commando fine there home when I was picking up from pre school always wet in nappy gave it a week at mine no once did he go on potty or toilet told mum fine keep in nappies last week mum says again H is doing fantastic no nappies stayed in when at mine and only had 1 accident told mum and she says still seeing at our house now he is off for 2 weeks and I am hoping he does not go backwards while off I have got him just going to potty and saying when finished will not do it again if he goes backward especially as mum originally said he was dry at home. Sorry for rant x

Samijanec
17-08-2013, 12:30 PM
How long did it take you? I bet it wasn't 3 months because you know when your child's ready :)

No it was about a week.. :)