PDA

View Full Version : 2,3 & 4 year old funding

Chatterbox Childcare
08-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Following on from Sumona's thread - is there anything from the Government that states the LA's MUST let good and outstanding take the funding or is it just guidance?

Any proof would be appreciated as I feel I am asking and challenging for something that hasn't been made law yet.

Simona - I know you are working hard on this and may have the correct up to date information.

08-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Hi, Yes it is really confusing calling it Statutory Guidance and this is how they tried to fob me off at first. The first part of the link explains how statutory guidance should almost always be followed and can only be deviated from with very good reason (not just because your LA don't like it.)

When is guidance (http://notsobigsociety.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/when-is-guidance-statutory-and-does-it-matter/)

As an individual it is really hard to fight your LA this is where PACEY should be helping out. They didn't. But just writing very strong emails and stating what bits of the Guidance the LA were not planning to follow (and by 1st Sept) and that I would use the Local Government Ombudsman did the trick. You should ask what reason they are giving for not following the Statutory Guidance in full because you are going to the LGO if they don't provide a very good reason. The LAs must follow it from 1st Sept because although it is not law, the Guidance is there to say how existing law is to be interpreted so the LA meets their statutory duties. It also replaces existing guidance so LAs cannot say they are just following older guidance. LAs are trying every excuse to get out of this so cms must be ready and say that they have to follow this new statutory guidance or else!

Do you have a cm group you can work with? Do any of you have contacts with legal experience who can write a "legal" letter? I see that in the last few days my LA and others are backing down and putting the Guidance into place. Hopefully that will help to and force the remainder to reconsider. If you pm your email I have a letter written by two of "my" parents which you might be able to alter and send to your LA.

Anni

Simona
08-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Following on from Sumona's thread - is there anything from the Government that states the LA's MUST let good and outstanding take the funding or is it just guidance?

Any proof would be appreciated as I feel I am asking and challenging for something that hasn't been made law yet.

Simona - I know you are working hard on this and may have the correct up to date information.

Hi Chatterbox
The guidance is statutory from 1 Sept therefore you can compare it to the EYFS which is statutory too...can anyone deviate from that?? I think NOT

In a way the LAs are correct in being worried about ALL cms doing the funding as some may not as good as their grade says...remember they were graded on the old inspection framework
Having said that the govt has decided that it all goes on Ofsted grades and LAs must follow...what can they do?
2 year olds need spaces and drawing funding for 3 and 4 year olds will lower cost to parents who were not able to access funding through their non accredited cm...while we are so keen to join all this we also lose money

Judging by what has been reported today I don't think this govt will get it all its way and things may change again (my view) but, at the moment, it is your right to draw funding...so keep the dialogue open with your LA

Thank you for all your feedback...it helps others feel confident and supported about approaching their LA

Chatterbox Childcare
08-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi Anni

Thanks for the link - great information in there.

My LA are not refusing to give the funding, just that they need to go to a Committee first and that doesn't meet until September etc... (see below their reply)

We as a Local Authority have only just rec’d this guidance and at this moment we are looking into the best way to proceed with this.

As this is such short notice and will have an impact on the current budget which has been set for this year we will need to consult with the finance team. Who would then need to submit new budget proposals to Schools Forum, as this is the procedure for funding which is offered through the dedicated schools grant. Schools Forum usually meet on a termly basis and I believe the next meeting is not planned until September.

Also processes will need to be put into place to deliver this, all of which takes time.

With all of this in mind we will more than likely need to consult with childminders and other agencies regarding a planned timescale for this.

What does everyone think of this?

I am being supported on this but I wanted more information which I am grateful for.

Simona
08-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Chatterbox....The LAs have known for a long time what they were expected to do
Truss wrote to them on 8 July and the Guidance was published on 17 July...however they DfE does correspond with them regularly

I heard from the DfE itself on 4 Dec 2012 conference and again at the pacey London event (were you there?) and also at the June conference about what LAs were expected to do

The talk of funding is nonsense as this has been in place for a while for 2013-2014...it doesn't happen at the last minute

Your LA is using delaying tactics, as was mine but has now acted, as far as I can see...up to them but they are accountable to the DfE if they do not place all the 2 yo.
You can always write to the DfE and ask for clarification or wait for your LA to get their act together.....I also think Pacey are trying to discover which LAs are being difficult.

I really resent the fact that cms have been left to battle the LAs on their own...very unfair

08-08-2013, 06:45 PM
My LA gave me a similar response at first. Ask them - does this mean you won't be following the statutory guidance on 1st Sept? It is not for them to set their own timetable, they must meet the guidance "deadline." One of the things you can complain to the LGO about is not implementing things in time and delaying decisions. Ask about how you will claim compensation for lost business if they don't implement it in time? Unfortunately you have to be very confrontational to get a change in attitude and action in my experience.

Simona
08-08-2013, 08:08 PM
My LA gave me a similar response at first. Ask them - does this mean you won't be following the statutory guidance on 1st Sept? It is not for them to set their own timetable, they must meet the guidance "deadline." One of the things you can complain to the LGO about is not implementing things in time and delaying decisions. Ask about how you will claim compensation for lost business if they don't implement it in time? Unfortunately you have to be very confrontational to get a change in attitude and action in my experience.

4365...very sad the very LAs who should back cms are now to 'be confronted'...what a sad state of affairs for cms
It worked for me to confront them but I would have preferred to feel 'valued and included' in the scheme without having to get so stressed and cross

I am losing faith in the system...I bet my local Sainsbury's would treat me better...we must soldier on though...perseverance works!

blue bear
09-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Spoke to development worker yesterday. She said from September all registered providers will be able to take funding for 3 and 4 year olds unless graded satisfactory or unsatisfactory.
She said she was not so clued up on two year olds but thought the la could put a local training/qualification proviso on providing funding

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Does this sound too harsh?

Dear Ladies

I know that I have had discussions with Denise regarding the provision of funding to 2 years olds.

I have been talking to childminders all over the country and it it my understanding that the statutory guidance from the Government to all Local Authorities is that childminders with good/outstanding can deliver funding as of 1st September 2013 and not have to be part of a network and it seems that as I have 2 children waiting to draw on the 3/4 year old funding I should be able to without the need of competing paperwork through Trio.

I also understand from Denise that there may be an issue on funds but I am not asking for anything new but access to the 3/4 year old funding that should already be allocated to the children living in our borough.

Below is the link that I have been provided with showing the above and I would be grateful if you could look at this again so that I can deliver the 3/4 year old funding. I also understand that if there is going to be a problem with this then I have to take my complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman which seems a bit excessive seeing that the council has been so supportive of childminders.

When is guidance (http://notsobigsociety.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/when-is-guidance-statutory-and-does-it-matter/)

I hope that this can be sorted quickly.

Kind regards

Debbie

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2013, 01:21 PM
all sent now so wait and see....

Simona
09-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Does this sound too harsh?

Dear Ladies

I know that I have had discussions with Denise regarding the provision of funding to 2 years olds.

I have been talking to childminders all over the country and it it my understanding that the statutory guidance from the Government to all Local Authorities is that childminders with good/outstanding can deliver funding as of 1st September 2013 and not have to be part of a network and it seems that as I have 2 children waiting to draw on the 3/4 year old funding I should be able to without the need of competing paperwork through Trio.

I also understand from Denise that there may be an issue on funds but I am not asking for anything new but access to the 3/4 year old funding that should already be allocated to the children living in our borough.

Below is the link that I have been provided with showing the above and I would be grateful if you could look at this again so that I can deliver the 3/4 year old funding. I also understand that if there is going to be a problem with this then I have to take my complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman which seems a bit excessive seeing that the council has been so supportive of childminders.

I hope that this can be sorted quickly.

Kind regards

Debbie

No Chatterbox ...you are not harsh but possibly very patient and polite...I did not mention the ombudsman just that I had emailed the DfE and received contradictory information to my LA

It this makes things better...here is the email from David Fitzgerald who is the Deputy Director, Foundation Years: Free Early Education and Funding Division
Department for Education, 1st Floor, Sanctuary Buildings, Great Smith Street, London, SW1P 3BT

This is his message on 23 July

''Dear Simona

Thanks for your further questions.
The guidance says that local authorities should fund places for three and four year olds at any provider judged ‘satisfactory’ ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted (assuming there is an eligible three or four year old at the provider).
The position is different for two year olds. ‘Good’ or ‘outstanding’ providers should be funded to deliver places if there is an eligible two year old taking up their place at that provider. However, places for two year olds should only be funded in ‘satisfactory’ providers if there are insufficient accessible places in ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ providers.

There is nothing in the guidance which prevents local authorities funding places for three and four year olds if the provider chooses not to offer funded places for two year olds.

Local authorities should limit the conditions they place on ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ providers to those set out in the guidance, that is, those which guard against the misappropriation of public funds, ensure that funded places are completely free of charge to parents, support flexible delivery of places, meet the needs of children with disabilities or special needs and keep children safe.

Although local authorities can place conditions on ‘satisfactory’ providers any conditions should be limited to those which address concerns raised by Ofsted at inspection, which will of course vary between providers.

Where the guidance talks about providers, this means childminders as much as it does group settings.
There is no requirement that childminders must be accredited, be part of a network or be qualified to level 3 in order to receive funding.
The decision whether to fund a provider should be based on the Ofsted inspection judgement as set out above.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions on the detail of this, my colleague Steph (to whom I am copying this email) is the real expert.

With best wishes '' (end of email)

Does his message sound vague? ...No it is very clear especially towards the end ...maybe you could mention there have been emails with the DfE to other cms and you know you can do the funding....

Let us know how you get on.....

Bluebear...for a LA to say they are not 'clued up' is a bit like believing in fairies...that excuse does not stand!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2013, 01:38 PM
No Chatterbox ...you are not harsh but possibly very patient and polite...I did not mention the ombudsman just that I had emailed the DfE and received contradictory information to my LA

It this makes things better...here is the email from David Fitzgerald who is the Deputy Director, Foundation Years: Free Early Education and Funding Division
Department for Education, 1st Floor, Sanctuary Buildings, Great Smith Street, London, SW1P 3BT

This is his message on 23 July

''Dear Simona

Thanks for your further questions.
The guidance says that local authorities should fund places for three and four year olds at any provider judged ‘satisfactory’ ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted (assuming there is an eligible three or four year old at the provider).
The position is different for two year olds. ‘Good’ or ‘outstanding’ providers should be funded to deliver places if there is an eligible two year old taking up their place at that provider. However, places for two year olds should only be funded in ‘satisfactory’ providers if there are insufficient accessible places in ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ providers.

There is nothing in the guidance which prevents local authorities funding places for three and four year olds if the provider chooses not to offer funded places for two year olds.

Local authorities should limit the conditions they place on ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ providers to those set out in the guidance, that is, those which guard against the misappropriation of public funds, ensure that funded places are completely free of charge to parents, support flexible delivery of places, meet the needs of children with disabilities or special needs and keep children safe.

Although local authorities can place conditions on ‘satisfactory’ providers any conditions should be limited to those which address concerns raised by Ofsted at inspection, which will of course vary between providers.

Where the guidance talks about providers, this means childminders as much as it does group settings.
There is no requirement that childminders must be accredited, be part of a network or be qualified to level 3 in order to receive funding.
The decision whether to fund a provider should be based on the Ofsted inspection judgement as set out above.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions on the detail of this, my colleague Steph (to whom I am copying this email) is the real expert.

With best wishes '' (end of email)

Does his message sound vague? ...No it is very clear especially towards the end ...maybe you could mention there have been emails with the DfE to other cms and you know you can do the funding....

Let us know how you get on.....

Bluebear...for a LA to say they are not 'clued up' is a bit like believing in fairies...that excuse does not stand!

Thanks Simona, I will keep this up my sleeve for when they reply.

Could you give me the email address for Steph please or a contact number, which ever was provided

Thanks

Simona
09-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks Simona, I will keep this up my sleeve for when they reply.

Could you give me the email address for Steph please or a contact number, which ever was provided

Thanks

I have just emailed her listing the various conditions/barriers cms are meeting...when she replies I will ask if I can pass her email to others...just to be sure she doesn't mind

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Well got an answer very quickly but not the one I wanted. No one is willing to say anything until "a manger" returns

I will keep pushing

AgentTink
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Chatterbox i am having the same issues with Sefton as you are. I have been advised that they are trying to decide if they should wait for the law to change???? and that they are all having a meeting on 10th September to discuss it, which means that we have all missed the deadline to apply!!??!

Simona, many thanks for sending the email to Steph. I sent a email to DfE yesterday, however their system said they may not respond for near on 3 weeks due a backlog, so hopefully you will get an answer from Steph quicker.

What me and Chatterbox need, as well as other childminders who cant get the funding, is a concrete answer from the DfE in regards to "can a LA just ignore the statutory guidance", "what will the DfE do if they find a LA is ignoring the statutory guidance", "Can the DfE get in touch with any LA who are not complying, as it is additonal stress and burden that i should not be having to do as a lone worker", "If a law does need to be changed as Sefton LA state, then what is this law, and when will this be changed"

Simona
09-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Chatterbox i am having the same issues with Sefton as you are. I have been advised that they are trying to decide if they should wait for the law to change???? and that they are all having a meeting on 10th September to discuss it, which means that we have all missed the deadline to apply!!??!

Simona, many thanks for sending the email to Steph. I sent a email to DfE yesterday, however their system said they may not respond for near on 3 weeks due a backlog, so hopefully you will get an answer from Steph quicker.

What me and Chatterbox need, as well as other childminders who cant get the funding, is a concrete answer from the DfE in regards to "can a LA just ignore the statutory guidance", "what will the DfE do if they find a LA is ignoring the statutory guidance", "Can the DfE get in touch with any LA who are not complying, as it is additonal stress and burden that i should not be having to do as a lone worker", "If a law does need to be changed as Sefton LA state, then what is this law, and when will this be changed"

The law will change 1 Sept as the Guidance becomes Statutory=LAW from that date...........however many LAs have realised they need to comply and are telling cms now

The new guidance has 'removed' the basket of measures LAs could impose on cms up to now...that is why each LA differs, no more!!!
The need for accreditation has been replaced by Ofsted being the 'sole arbitrer' of quality...daft I know but that is how it is at the moment...but judging by latest reports that is being challenged and will probably change in future

there will be a few admin tasks but it is not difficult...parents get a list of cms, they ring cms, they fill in a form and cms apply for the funding which is paid straight into their account

You won't miss any deadline because 2 yo will come up all the time and the funding is due the term after their 2nd birthday just like 3 yo
the 2 yo funding is 'govt policy'...LAs are worried but they can't defy it
my understanding is that LAs are 'accountable' to the DfE who funds them for the 2, 3 and 4 yo, I also understand that from 2015 LAs will be paid by result...they get funded as long as they provide childcare care for those children

It is not a secret to the LAs ...it has been out a while...don't they read the updates?
I am sure the DfE will get in touch if they get many cms complaints...swamp them

If you want to write this is the email: ministers@education.gsi.gov.uk ..that gets to the dept and distributed to the right person
Put as a title: Cms and 2,3 and 4 yo funding...that will get their attention!!!

as soon as I hear I will feedback but Pacey are aware of this...Chatterbox what do they say?

AgentTink
09-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Simona I fully understand what you are saying because that is how i read it too, however my issue is not about me understanding it. I fully understand the guidance. I understand that 'statutory' means must be followed.

My problem is getting the LA to understand it. Surley it is not my responcability to read a LA document and then tell the LA how to follow it.

The LA will not listen to me... i cannot tell them how to do something.... i am fighting this on my own with them.

If the DfE had released this document and it is law, then were do i get this information to present to my LA?

If the DfE expects every LA to follow it from the 1st September, then what are they prepared to do with LA's who dont?

Where is balck and white does it say for me and other CM's who are fighting this, that under no circumstances can they not offer it to us from September?

I will have to disagree with you on the fact that i have missed the deadline. I am unable to take funded children for this term while other CM's in other LA's can, So in that respect i have missed a term of being able to take funded children.

And who knows if my LA will even be ready for the January term!!??!!

I will send a email to the address you have kindly provided and see if I can get anywhere because I really need answers in order to be able to fight my LA.

The problem as you have stated is that we need lots of CM's to complain to the DfE, however i have at present not received a single responce to email i have sent out to 80 childminders in my area in regards to this, so i am doubtful the DfE will get swamped with complaint letters.

Simona
09-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Simona I fully understand what you are saying because that is how i read it too, however my issue is not about me understanding it. I fully understand the guidance. I understand that 'statutory' means must be followed.

My problem is getting the LA to understand it. Surley it is not my responcability to read a LA document and then tell the LA how to follow it.

The LA will not listen to me... i cannot tell them how to do something.... i am fighting this on my own with them.

If the DfE had released this document and it is law, then were do i get this information to present to my LA?

If the DfE expects every LA to follow it from the 1st September, then what are they prepared to do with LA's who dont?

Where is balck and white does it say for me and other CM's who are fighting this, that under no circumstances can they not offer it to us from September?

I will have to disagree with you on the fact that i have missed the deadline. I am unable to take funded children for this term while other CM's in other LA's can, So in that respect i have missed a term of being able to take funded children.

And who knows if my LA will even be ready for the January term!!??!!

I will send a email to the address you have kindly provided and see if I can get anywhere because I really need answers in order to be able to fight my LA.

The problem as you have stated is that we need lots of CM's to complain to the DfE, however i have at present not received a single responce to email i have sent out to 80 childminders in my area in regards to this, so i am doubtful the DfE will get swamped with complaint letters.

I apologise if I made it sound you don't understand...of course you do...it is your LA who is 'pretending' not to understand
There is no information you can give the LA about the law...the Guidance is statutory like the EYFS 'statutory' framework...no LA ever disputed that!!

When I was emailing my LA I kept copying them the emails from DfE David Fitzgerald....he was saying one thing, they were 'procrastinating' saying exactly the same as they tell you: we need the Guidance...as soon as it came out the funding was available to me....strangely enough I am, at the moment, the only cm on their list!!

You have not missed the deadline because those caring for 2 yo were 'piloting' the scheme...now it is not a pilot any more ...it is the LAW as of 1st September with 130,000 children who need childcare then another 130,000 in 2014

I have started this small campaign and in the style of Mastermind 'I started so I'll finish'...I will pursue it and help as much as I can

See if I get a reply next week ..remember many are on holiday...I will pursue it

I know what you mean by being on your own...no other cm bothered in my LA as far as I know...we will get through this

sarah707
09-08-2013, 07:59 PM

It's exactly the same problem with campaigning and encouraging people to send letters / emails etc.

The usual proactive people get involved and the rest wait for someone else to do it for them :(

Just to say I share your pain xx

Simona
10-08-2013, 08:30 AM
It's exactly the same problem with campaigning and encouraging people to send letters / emails etc.

The usual proactive people get involved and the rest wait for someone else to do it for them :(

Just to say I share your pain xx

I would like to add this to Sarah' post...there seems to be a regular and consistent call for cms to 'work together', to unite and join efforts, to speak in unison'..........WE ARE

The issues cms face are different, while some are shared....what some cms are fighting for is not the fight of another cm (the funding is the prime example)

So we must be allowed to speak in lots of ways, with different styles and accents, and allow all cms to contribute, we need to support those who are more proactive but not exclude those who are not confident putting pen to paper or making that call but we need their engagement and their opinion

It does cms no favours that many of our colleagues are totally unaware of what has been going on...we flag up info sharing and peer support all the time but thousands of cms are still sleepwalking

it is not just one cm or two or three or four writing or shouting on behalf of all cms ...
it is the number of cms who write and shout that makes a difference...
it is speaking up on issues that matter to cms as they vary across the country
it is the number of letters and emails that land on desks at the DfE and MPs
it is 'perseverance', often feeling people think you are a 'pain'...concentrating on matters that are important to cms:

1. agencies,

2. childcare hubs (I fear these more than agencies...I want to be wrong),

3. keeping cms 'independent', at present, at least until the agency pilots have been tested and we have been consulted...too many may be wobbling because they think agencies will reduce 'paperwork'....they won't!
Many cms believe the EYFS is the cause of 'paperwork'...it is not!
It is the bureaucratic red tape and unclear guidance on what is requested by the EYFS and inspectors alike that make us produce useless pieces of paper

4. the discrimination of cms in drawing funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds

5. Support from LAs disappearing or being diluted but also looking and asking for a more 'standardised way' of supporting cms across England...LAs have got away with so much over the years

6. Finding the courage to shout about our concerns over Ofsted inspections

7. getting the rest of the EY sector to support cms

There are many issues in MGC and MAC ...cms are hit the most by the reforms but issues vary from area to area

I believe that no one can speak on behalf of all cms...no website or forum can contain all the info or be the hub of any campaign, we need a cross section for info sharing

We need to be heard...the more of us shout and write the more effective we will be
I think the ratio issue was the prime example...3 petitions and various reasons for supporting them got the desired result.

We may be saturated with updates, statements and politician's sound bites and opportunism but we must not lower our guard ...not now and not for a while yet!

Chatterbox Childcare
10-08-2013, 09:36 AM
I have a very good relationship with my LA and don't want to lose this so I am not going like a bull at a gate.

I understand what we are asking of the LA's but mine only has 1 person to administrate everything and I think that funding has to be found to cover other childminders coming on board or paperwork will just be a back log.

I agree that this should already be in place but it isn't so I am going to play the waiting game for a week and see what happens when "the Manager" returns. If I am fobbed off again I will certainly be writing to the DFE and Ombudsman but I don't see any point in pushing when I am struggling with the indians rather than the chiefs.

Will update end of next week.

Simona
10-08-2013, 09:53 AM
I have a very good relationship with my LA and don't want to lose this so I am not going like a bull at a gate.

I understand what we are asking of the LA's but mine only has 1 person to administrate everything and I think that funding has to be found to cover other childminders coming on board or paperwork will just be a back log.

I agree that this should already be in place but it isn't so I am going to play the waiting game for a week and see what happens when "the Manager" returns. If I am fobbed off again I will certainly be writing to the DFE and Ombudsman but I don't see any point in pushing when I am struggling with the indians rather than the chiefs.

Will update end of next week.

I think that many cms have been very 'professional' in their approach to their LA quoting from DfE emails and arguing on the law..ultimately they have resorted to mentioning the ombudsman...why not?
Some are now getting frustrated but cms seem to be a very patient lot

Funding has not got to be found...funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds is allocated by the DfE not the LAs based on the amount they pay in their FE..in fact the funding goes into a pot called 'Dedicated School Grant (DSG)' and administered by the council not the EY team.
LAs do a census of children entitled to funding and the DfE funds them on that number

I am, however, concerned that none of the associations are stepping in to advice us now on how to approach this matter and get what we are now entitled to!

Chatterbox Childcare
10-08-2013, 11:09 AM
I think that many cms have been very 'professional' in their approach to their LA quoting from DfE emails and arguing on the law..ultimately they have resorted to mentioning the ombudsman...why not?
Some are now getting frustrated but cms seem to be a very patient lot

Funding has not got to be found...funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds is allocated by the DfE not the LAs based on the amount they pay in their FE..in fact the funding goes into a pot called 'Dedicated School Grant (DSG)' and administered by the council not the EY team.
LAs do a census of children entitled to funding and the DfE funds them on that number

I am, however, concerned that none of the associations are stepping in to advice us now on how to approach this matter and get what we are now entitled to!

It isn't the money for the funding my LA have to find it is the money to employ people to administrate it and that it what they are trying to do. Don't get me wrong I am not sticking up for the LA just trying to understand why it isn't automatic. I was told it takes the same manpower to administrate a nursery of 20 children and it does a Childminder with 1 and more funding approval is needed here.

Simona
10-08-2013, 11:28 AM
It isn't the money for the funding my LA have to find it is the money to employ people to administrate it and that it what they are trying to do. Don't get me wrong I am not sticking up for the LA just trying to understand why it isn't automatic. I was told it takes the same manpower to administrate a nursery of 20 children and it does a Childminder with 1 and more funding approval is needed here.

Chatterbox...thank you for feeding this back
Had I known it yesterday I would have added it to the list I sent to the DfE...no problem when the woman replies I will make her aware of this too

whatever happens in any LA in terms of staff there will always be one in charge of the funding...our financial administrator is expecting more cms to be funded and has not quoted this as a problem...whatever happens she will remain there

I have one concern though...do we assume that many cms have been left out of drawing funding or are being blocked because it is an added expense to the LA?
This would be very worrying if children were denied an opportunity to high quality care because of some bureaucratic obstacle?

Keep us posted and hope all resolves itself.

Simona
12-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Truss has spoken clearly on cms and funding...we are allowed to do it
So we can now take the message to our LAs...looks like Truss has taken notice of the emails sent to the DfE

Exclusive: The Minister's View - Shaping more affordable childcare | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1194592/exclusive-ministers-view---shaping-affordable-childcare?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate&bulletin=nursery-world-update-bulletin)

Smiley
12-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I have just come off the phone after speaking to my LA and they say contracts are being sent out this week to everyone who applied. I've had a quick look on their site and the 18 page contract is available to read!
One of my existing parents wants me to confirm that I can offer her a 2 year old place from September. Last term she used a nursery but wants her child to come back to me.

I just hope it's straight forward, this particular parent has just finished maternity leave so will need a place for her baby too as I cared for her 2 year old previously and I have known her since she was a child when she used to play with my own children. Keeping fingers crossed my LA are on the ball with this

AgentTink
12-08-2013, 01:43 PM
I have just come off the phone after speaking to my LA and they say contracts are being sent out this week to everyone who applied. I've had a quick look on their site and the 18 page contract is available to read!
One of my existing parents wants me to confirm that I can offer her a 2 year old place from September. Last term she used a nursery but wants her child to come back to me.

I just hope it's straight forward, this particular parent has just finished maternity leave so will need a place for her baby too as I cared for her 2 year old previously and I have known her since she was a child when she used to play with my own children. Keeping fingers crossed my LA are on the ball with this

thats great smiley which LA are you with?

Smiley
12-08-2013, 03:53 PM
I come under Doncaster LA

madmamma
07-09-2013, 08:16 AM
My LA are saying (yesterday) that 'they have decided to opt for network minders to offer the funding'
This is despite being given the information available from here :angry:

HelenHale
08-09-2013, 12:40 AM
I now have a response from my LA saying the funding will not be open to non-accredited childminders until 1st April 2014.

If you read the guidance to LA's though it only says SHOULD not MUST so I take that to mean they don't have to.

http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/statutory/g00209650/code-of-practice-for-las

Helen x

Simona
08-09-2013, 08:27 AM
I now have a response from my LA saying the funding will not be open to non-accredited childminders until 1st April 2014.

If you read the guidance to LA's though it only says SHOULD not MUST so I take that to mean they don't have to.

Early education and childcare - About the Department (http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/statutory/g00209650/code-of-practice-for-las)

Helen x

Yes we understand that Helen...should and must at the LAs' own interpretation..and of course your own....fantastic we are back to square one!!

The DfE has also stated they will legislate at the earliest opportunity...so why delay the inevitable?
why are LAs so much against cms but willing to allow a 'satisfactory' nursery to do funding without accreditation?

Can anyone else report if their LA is still dragging their heels? are you happy to be exclude until you get accredited or have jumped through more hoops? or are you not concerned at all?
Am I wrong in saying that the LAs powers have been cut a bit since Sept so how can they still dictate when we don't know what their role is precisely? apart from concentrating on 'disadvantaged' families according to the DFE...so they do so by depriving cms of funding for those very families?

in some cases I wish their powers had been totally severed!
I blame the LAs for the discrimination and current state of affairs...they chose and decided what was right or wrong for cms and some cms just went along with it praising their LA for being so good

Will you take the DfE advice and complain as they have encouraged cms to do? or will some of the representing associations do that on behalf of cms?

Chatterbox Childcare
08-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Got my notification yesterday and good and outstanding can accept funding without any issues and satisfactory can but with measures which are being written at the moment

Simona
08-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Got my notification yesterday and good and outstanding can accept funding without any issues and satisfactory can but with measures which are being written at the moment

Great to hear that Chatterbox...I got that too alongside a ream of forms to complete including signing contract with my LA for drawing funding 'according' to their local conditions....slightly wrong there as the funding comes from the DfE and LAs have to distribute it fairly!!

Some of the conditions on the contract I am not in the least happy with as I am now Independent ...so I am now in a position where, without clarification from them, I will not sign that contract and my LA has gone very quiet while rumours abound of all the changes taking place within the team.

We can't win one way or the other!! who are the losers? the children who need to access high quality care and considering the huge amount invested in rolling out 'Achieving 2 year olds' someone has to be accountable for that waste!

Rubybubbles
25-09-2013, 08:58 PM
got this through yesterday

In response to the Government’s recent report ‘More affordable childcare’ that ‘sets out the steps the government is taking to address the challenges in providing affordable childcare for parents’ and the subsequent revision of the Department for Education’s ‘Early education and childcare – Statutory guidance for local authorities – September 2013’, Hampshire County Council are running a series of EYE Provider briefings to inform further the implications this guidance has on the LA’s duties and funding providers for early years education. These briefings will help to clarify the changes that will need to be made to the current Hampshire Early Years Education Funding Payment Terms and Conditions of providing Early Years Education. As part of PACEY’s support service contract with Hampshire we have set up to provide some additional sessions scheduled at more accessible times and will have content specifically related for childminders.

In response to these revised statutory duties this briefing will also outline the changes to the Early Years Single Funding Formula proposed from April 2014 and which will be consulted upon through October. Details of this consultation will be made available at the briefing but will also be published shortly on the Services for Young Children webpage. We will email you all the link as soon as this goes live.

One main area of change will be that in the Government’s requirement of local authority’s to remove barriers to accessing EYE funding. Therefore, any Good or Outstanding childminder registered by OFSTED ‘who has in their care an ‘eligible child (who) wants to take up a place there’ will no longer be required to gain accreditation for Early Years Education via a quality assurance scheme. The briefings will provide opportunity to give further detail regarding this and the Government’s and Hampshire’s future intentions to continue to support Childminders to deliver high quality early years education and childcare. Please let me assure you, Hampshire County Council remains committed to Childminders delivering high quality EYE and knows that parents and children benefit from childminding as a childcare choice.

there is going to be a childminder only meeting soon,once I have been I'll keep you updated! They are also holding a General Provider Briefing!

I emailed and heard nothing at all until now!

Simona
26-09-2013, 07:19 AM

In response to the Government’s recent report ‘More affordable childcare’ that ‘sets out the steps the government is taking to address the challenges in providing affordable childcare for parents’ and the subsequent revision of the Department for Education’s ‘Early education and childcare – Statutory guidance for local authorities – September 2013’, Hampshire County Council are running a series of EYE Provider briefings to inform further the implications this guidance has on the LA’s duties and funding providers for early years education. These briefings will help to clarify the changes that will need to be made to the current Hampshire Early Years Education Funding Payment Terms and Conditions of providing Early Years Education. As part of PACEY’s support service contract with Hampshire we have set up to provide some additional sessions scheduled at more accessible times and will have content specifically related for childminders.

In response to these revised statutory duties this briefing will also outline the changes to the Early Years Single Funding Formula proposed from April 2014 and which will be consulted upon through October. Details of this consultation will be made available at the briefing but will also be published shortly on the Services for Young Children webpage. We will email you all the link as soon as this goes live.

One main area of change will be that in the Government’s requirement of local authority’s to remove barriers to accessing EYE funding. Therefore, any Good or Outstanding childminder registered by OFSTED ‘who has in their care an ‘eligible child (who) wants to take up a place there’ will no longer be required to gain accreditation for Early Years Education via a quality assurance scheme. The briefings will provide opportunity to give further detail regarding this and the Government’s and Hampshire’s future intentions to continue to support Childminders to deliver high quality early years education and childcare. Please let me assure you, Hampshire County Council remains committed to Childminders delivering high quality EYE and knows that parents and children benefit from childminding as a childcare choice.

there is going to be a childminder only meeting soon,once I have been I'll keep you updated! They are also holding a General Provider Briefing!

Rubybubbles...that is a very clear and positive message from your LA which begs the questions why so many other LAs are so adamant in continuing to impose conditions on cms

I wonder how many cms are still having an argument with their LA?
has any cm done anything about it and taken it further as suggested by the DfE?
has any representing association spoken out or approached the LAs or the policy makers to raise the issue?

tashaleee
26-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Im really interested in this part - I have no issues with offering a funded place BUT what I struggle with is the drop I have to take as its just not workable :-( So if Im reading this correctly there is a consultation next month about everywhere having a single Funding Formula from next April????

If Ive read it wrong please can someone tell me (I got excited so I might have done :o )

Simona
26-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Im really interested in this part - I have no issues with offering a funded place BUT what I struggle with is the drop I have to take as its just not workable :-( So if Im reading this correctly there is a consultation next month about everywhere having a single Funding Formula from next April????

If Ive read it wrong please can someone tell me (I got excited so I might have done :o )

If you go back to Truss and DfE announcements recently they did say they are 'thinking' about introducing a 'single funding formula' across England to end the disparity in funding across the LAs but this cannot be done now as the funding for this year and next are already allocated....
That is the way I read it ....so for the moment the drop in funding when children are 3 is one of sustainability for the whole sector and why some cms are reluctant to join the 2 yo scheme
I have a training tomorrow with Family and Childcare Trust in my LA...they will explain how to stay afloat? hope their calculator differs from my calculations???

I'll search for the articles and post when I find them
hope this helps

tashaleee
26-09-2013, 11:32 AM
If you go back to Truss and DfE announcements recently they did say they are 'thinking' about introducing a 'single funding formula' across England to end the disparity in funding across the LAs but this cannot be done now as the funding for this year and next are already allocated....
That is the way I read it ....so for the moment the drop in funding when children are 3 is one of sustainability for the whole sector and why some cms are reluctant to join the 2 yo scheme
I have a training tomorrow with Family and Childcare Trust in my LA...they will explain how to stay afloat? hope their calculator differs from my calculations???

I'll search for the articles and post when I find them
hope this helps

Thanks Simona - Ive read so much stuff this year its all starting to merge into one as to what is the latest 'fact' 'rumour' or 'who knows'

Personally Im seriously going to have to rethink my funding offer ..... its over £1 an hour less than my current rate :mad: Although its lovely that parents want to take those hours with me if I had 3 x 3 year olds it would be financial suicide over the month :-(

AgentTink
26-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Rubybubbles...that is a very clear and positive message from your LA which begs the questions why so many other LAs are so adamant in continuing to impose conditions on cms

I wonder how many cms are still having an argument with their LA?
has any cm done anything about it and taken it further as suggested by the DfE?
has any representing association spoken out or approached the LAs or the policy makers to raise the issue?

No change here in Sefton Simona, they are still waiting for the law to change and we need to go through a accreditation process in the meantime.

I am awaiting a responce from the DfE in regards to a very simple question, "are Local authorities allowed to wait for the law to be changed before they offering the funding to all good and outstanding childminders as per the statutory guidance".

As you know Simona I got a responce back at the beginning of September from the DfE that basically said the law would be changed in due course but they never really answered my question which was are LA allowed to not follow the statutory guidance. They had told me to complain to the council, however i am not prepared to go through the stress of a complaint of the LA is well within their rights to wait for the law to change.

I have also been back in touch with Katy from Nursery World advising her of Sefton's last update, and she apologised that there had been no article about it, but unfortunatly no one was willing to name their LA's to her when they were emailing her about not being included. Anyway good news is she would like to revisit the issue and is giving me a call tomorrow, with hopefully something being mentioned in the October issue, as i am prepared for my name and LA to be mentioned in the article.

Simona
26-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Tashaleee....many cms will be cautious about the funding, we don't mind the 2 yo but when it drops to some silly figure we have a big decision to make...join the club or sustain our businesses? welcome as the 'equality' is for us.....our mortgage does not drop in line with funding!

I am hopping mad that in some LAs providers actually make a profit because the funding is higher than their fees...good luck to them but where is the fairness?
I am also confused how the LAs can dictate 'accreditation' when networks are disbanding?

I still have not agreed to do funding...Truss should have thought about this because the LAs can say we refuse until it is the law...the DfE may make it so but not at the moment
In the end their credibility lies on the uptake of the scheme...no point in saying 'we need cms' when the LAs obviously don't?

AgentTink...we get a bit bored by the same 'standard' reply from the DfE don't we?...few cms will challenge their LA especially at this particular moment and honestly it is the govt job to get them to comply...why say in the Guidance LAs 'should' when a 'must' would have solved the issue?
Again why has no representing association continued the fight we started?

I spoke to NWorld editor at the #ofstedbigconversation in London...she told me they dropped the research because the LAs would not engage but may pick it up again in future...very disappointed I must say
If no cm was willing to name their LA they could still have 'exposed' them by doing an article...some Las were mentioned

There would have been more uproar if this had happened to nurseries...so we must keep the fight up and shout louder...I am ready to pick it up again...I have a cunning plan!!!

AgentTink
28-09-2013, 01:52 AM

Ruby, no wonder hampshire were so keen on being 'committed to childminders'...they have just been named as one of the councils taking part in the trials

Simona
28-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Ruby, no wonder hampshire were so keen on being 'committed to childminders'...they have just been named as one of the councils taking part in the trials

Yes the message was loud and clear but it is obvious that those LAs who wanted to be chosen for the trials HAD to include cms...
I would bet a great deal of money it would have been part of the terms and conditions and many LAs who applied for the trials also suddenly opened the scheme to all cms....sad they thought we would not notice

Simona
21-10-2013, 07:57 AM
If you have seen the transcript of the evidence given by Truss to the Education Select Committee and also listened to the various interviews she is flagging up the fact that cms are now able to access the funding

She has also been told many are refusing to do the funding due to the low level of the Free Entitlement .....YES!!! at last we are making it clear that is a problem and one she needs to address herself

She is not aware that many LAs are still putting barriers in our way and has asked for anyone to write to her
I am going to try to find 5 minutes later to do so

bunyip
21-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Barriers seem to be coming down very slowly. there has been some progress in my area, but LA still clinging to a few additional conditions. I suspect they're worried about legal challenges - e.g. supporting a setting that may breach the Equality Act. It means they're still judging settings on things that are Ofsted's sole responsibility to regulate. Trouble is, Ofsted only regulate and grade us, and wouldn't accept responsibility if we were breaking certain other laws: DDA, Data Protection, etc. LA's don't want to be held responsibility for promoting a setting that might be in breach of some legislation that is related to childcare, but essentially outside Ofsted's remit.

Or to put it another way, the UK regime has botched it again.

:(

bunyip
21-10-2013, 08:28 AM
My main fears about the funding are...........

The flat rate funded fee does not provide any incentive to offer the quality or flexibility that can set one CM apart from another, or make a CM the better choice over a nursery. This is not going to encourage CMs to offer evening/weekend/unsociable hours care to a whole group of working parents.

The provision must be "free at the point of provision" - so no supplementary charges for trips, meals, etc. and no top-up fees if the government rate falls below your own. (As an aside, this is in stark contrast to the way the regime pays contractors to build railways, school, Olympic venues, etc. - then throw more money at them on demand when they find the accountants got it wrong first time around. :mad: ) I was advised to get round this by defining timed "sessions" and having a 1-hour unfunded lunchtime slot, in which I could charge a higher rate, plus a meal charge. All very well, but again, this isn't offering anything to parents who don't do the stereotypical nine-to-five job, is it? :huh:

More worrying is the fact that we only get funding for actual attendance. This leaves us entirely at the mercy of parents who might decide to take a day/week/longer off and just not send the child. This really damages settings like my local preschool which rely on funding. They've had at least 3 children who simply stopped attending. It didn't cost the parents a thing. The preschool were given no notice and had no recourse to debt reclamation, etc. In effect, the client can give immediate notice (if they can be bothered to do even that) and walk away with no obligations, and the setting loses money whilst desperately scrambling around to try and fill the place. :(

Simona
21-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Thank you Bunyip...yes barriers appear to be coming down and many LAs have told cms if their grade is good/outstanding then the funding can be accessed

Many LAs also give cms a contract ...possibly called Local Conditions of Grant...or whatever they call it which allows a cm to go on the Directory of Providers...sounds familiar?

It is when cms read the contract that that they find additional conditions

For instance mine says I have to sign the contract then I will be audited to see if I am suitable to give the funding
I am suitable because of my grade so what is the extra audit for?

There are also various other conditions we need to meet which my LA has not explained so many cms are deciding to leave it for the moment which is exactly what Truss is not aware of.

Worth reporting if funding is of importance to cms

bunyip
21-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Still waiting to receive a copy of my LA's "provider agreement" cos their printer broke down over a week or 2 back. Clearly they don't have another printer anywhere in the county.

Fill you with confidence, doesn't it? :p