PDA

View Full Version : Help, really unwell child!!

AdeleMarie88
08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
The strangest thing has happened to one of my mindees. The tail end of last week he seemed to lose his appetite a little, and was less interested with food than normal, I told mom and she said she had noticed the same with breakfast, we just put it down to the fact that he has just been getting over a tummy bug. He went away last weekend, camping with his mom and dad, and they said on the journey down in the car, he had a fit in the car seat, and it petrified mom and dad. They took him to hospital and he stayed over night, but docs said it was likely to be a one off, as it was hot in the car. He has gone downhill since then. His lips have swollen, he has completely stopped eating and drinking, and Monday he stopped talking. He will not say a word! Mom took him back to hospital on Tuesday, and he stayed overnight, they did tests but could not find a thing wrong, put him on a drip and the following day he brightened up a little, but has still not eaten a meal, and is just sipping the tiniest amounts of water. it is so strange because he is like a zombie child, and will not say a word, I have advised mom to take back to hospital, but it was so upsetting for him to be messed around with, and jabbed with needles, she doesn't want him to go through that again, only to be sent home.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? He isn't in any visible signs of pain, except from the fact he refuses to eat or drink, or talk, and is very quiet, just lying around. I feel at a loss as to what I can say to mom, except for go back to hospital!

munch149
08-08-2013, 02:58 PM
She needs to do something the tests are done for a reason and they need to find out what's going on even if it is upsetting.

Rubybubbles
08-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Agree needs to find out what is causing all this however upsetting it seems.

What a lovely caring childminder you must be to worry so much xx

JCrakers
08-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I would be back in to see the Dr. or a different one.

The lip swelling sounds like an allergy of some sorts. Could it be that he is allergic to something? I don't know if extreme allergic reactions can cause fits.
Although he's not eaten anything for a while.

shortstuff
08-08-2013, 03:17 PM
it is awful to see children going through medical tests but they are a very necessary evil. The mum needs to bite the bullet and take him again. She knows her son and knows this is extremely unusual for him. She needs to shout until she is heard im afraid.

I have watched DS go through things i never even dreamed could be done but it saved his life so would have it all done again x

hectors house
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Hope they find out what is wrong with him soon and he makes a full and speedy recovery. :)

caz3007
08-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Bless him, it sounds like he needs to be seen quickly just to be on the safe side

AdeleMarie88
08-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Hey all, yes I agree, mom has managed to get a referral to great Ormand street, fingers crossed!

caz3007
08-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Hey all, yes I agree, mom has managed to get a referral to great Ormand street, fingers crossed!

I hope he is ok, keep us posted xxx

AdeleMarie88
09-08-2013, 12:54 PM
After visit to great Ormand street, mom discovered he has got a really bad throat infection, and has caused his throat to fill up with blisters, sounds really nasty, so he has been prescribed strong antibiotics!! This is what could have also caused the fit, now he is on the mend! :)

clareelizabeth1
09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Glad to hear you have found out what it is and although nasty it's fixable.

Sending you both hugs

blue bear
09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Poor little fella, glad he's on the mend

shortstuff
09-08-2013, 01:11 PM
im so pleased LO got the help he deserved x good on mum for keeping pushing to get the answers and to you for supporting them so well x

hectors house
09-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Oh bless him - why couldn't the first hospital he went too see he had a throat full of ulcers? Makes perfect sense why he didn't want to eat, drink or talk! One of my mindees as a baby had severe tonsillitus and had a febrile convulsion luckily it was before he started with me and hasn't ever had another one, so hopefully your little mindee won't have another one either.

Petshrinklj
09-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Glad he's on the mend. It's rubbish that first hospital didn't spot it though.