PDA

View Full Version : autism, any advice please?

Npg1
07-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Hi. Well I had a 19mth old start 3 weeks ago. In this time he has had an eeg. The results are not back yet. He saw a consultant today and mum told me x stood in middle of room going round and round in circles and waving his hands.

I have noticed quite alot of hand flapping and he doesnt talk much. He also doesnt seem to look at me when I call his name. Yesterday I noticed he was fixated on wheels on toy cars and lined them up , n my window sil and stood watching the wheels going round.

I am just looking for some advice because I havent been in this situation before.

Little_steps
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Was the EEG part of testing for autism?

It can take a while to pin it down and the child is young so I doubt they will want to say it is that so early on, same things happening with a cousins child.

What you describe could easily be recognisable symptoms, however it could also be a coping mechanism for the child to carry out these acts so you see it really isn't for us to try and label as you can see what you want to.

I'm sorry I haven't answered your question and hope the child is found fit and healthy.

X

sarah707
07-08-2013, 09:24 PM
An interest in lining up cars and watching wheels is part of a schema - a repeated pattern of play.

You can find more info about schemas here - Schemas - dorsetforyou.com (http://www.dorsetforyou.com/357248).

If you are a gold member of childcare.co.uk I have written some info about schemas for the member area :D

JCrakers
07-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Sounds very similar to my 7yr old mindee. He is being tested for autism and I wrote a report for the doctor with my findings. I don't have any experience regarding autism but I have worked with children long enough to know something is different.

He likes to play with things that spin such as wheels and helicopter blades. He played with a helicopter blade for two hours once and spun it very close to his face. He also makes a humming noise as he spins.
He does listen to me but doesn't look at me when I speak to him and he doesn't seem to understand when other children get upset. He can be quite 'to the point' and doesn't think of feelings before saying things.

It does sound similar but on the other hand could be something he enjoys doing. It could be that he just likes spinning and could be a phase but it could also be something to flag up, keep notes on etc.

Have you noticed any developmental delays when tracking and observing ?

Npg1
07-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your help. Will look into the schemas.

I have tracked his development and there are delays in language so im going to try and work on these. Things like hearing hjs name when being called, using a spoon but I think thats more down to not being shown and pointing to his eyes, nose etc he doesnt seem to know.

jelly jiggles
07-08-2013, 10:15 PM
My nephew who never walked until 19 months and had some speech delay had a thing with spinning things. Car wheels were his favourite. He would line the cars up and go mad if you dared touch one. He is 6 now and at a normal pace in school and at home. It's so easy to worry but only time will tell. When you look up schema it will give ideas to help support there stage of development.