PDA

View Full Version : What do you think - 5 under 5, or son as assistant?

Mouse
07-08-2013, 05:20 PM
I have been asked to have one of my mindee for some extra days while his granny is in hospital & recovering.

It would put me up to 5 under 5, 2 days a week for approx 4 weeks. I don't have any school aged mindees.

I have had 5 under 5 before for a short while & wouldn't want to do it by myself for any length of time. My 18yr old son will be here. He helps out now & is fantastic with the children. The parents all know him & know he's here helping.

I see my options as a) take on the 5 under 5s and risk assess, saying that my son is here to help out, or b) sign him up as my assistant and have 5 under 5.

On a working level, it wouldn't make any difference which way I do it. We'd have 5 children here & he'd help out.

It's just on the justification/pleasing Ofsted level. Do you think it makes a difference which way I do it?

Rick
07-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I personally don't think you can use your son in the equation unless he is made an assistant

sarah707
07-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Ofsted do not like 5 under 5 - they say that you cannot possibly deliver appropriate education for 5 children of different ages.

however, it is theoretically possible and it would be up to you to prove you can do it! :D

muffins
08-08-2013, 07:38 AM
I would sign your son up as an assistant. I have done this with my DH as he works shifts and also with my friend who is a stay at home mum with 1 LO in EY's, between them theres always someone who can help. My friend has her 1st aid aswell so can be here if I have appointments of my own (Dr's etc) that I cant take mindees to, parents like that:D

hectors house
08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
I signed my daughter up as assistant just to use her for emergencies - I filled in the EY2 form and we filled in for references etc but as she only had her enhanced CRB done 2 years ago when she turned 16, I had back in just a few weeks a letter saying she was "suitable to work with children" at my premises. They didn't contact anyone for references. She did do the first aid course too but that is a useful qualification to put on CV anyway.

Mouse
08-08-2013, 08:09 AM
THanks all.

I think I'm going to register him as an assistant and possibly my DH & other son as well.

I don't want to increase my numbers, but it would be handy in an emergency.

Bumble Beez
08-08-2013, 08:25 AM
THanks all.

I think I'm going to register him as an assistant and possibly my DH & other son as well.

I don't want to increase my numbers, but it would be handy in an emergency.

I agree...in an emergency it's ideal :)

Sarah x