PDA

View Full Version : How to charge for shift work?

LindyLou59
07-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi - I've had an enquiry about childminding 2 children for 2 hours, 2 days a week but on a 6 week rolling shift - could be any two days from Mon-Thurs. I've never had a shift worker before and I don't really know how to charge for this. Do I charge for the hours I work each week or for the hours that I am available (2 hours each day Mon-Thurs) both children are over 8 so don't affect my "quotas" but I do have to use my car for the school runs which means I cannot take on any other children on those days? I fully admit I didn't think it through properly but now I'm in the situation I need to make the best of it. I don't want to let this Mum down as she's on her own and has really struggled to get this job. What would you all charge by days used or days available? My head is saying days available as the spaces are being taken up but I just feel a bit mean (maybe I just have to toughen up!). All comments/advice gratefully received, thanks x

QualityCare
07-08-2013, 03:23 PM
I only ever charge for what the parents need as its my choice to take them on so in this case l would only charge the hours used, also l don't give notice as soon as something 'better' comes along. You could may be charge charge £1.00 more per hour if mum is getting help with childcare costs.

sprinkles
08-08-2013, 07:04 AM
I have a shift worker that's between 1-4 days each week. They pay a minimum of 2 days each week to keep the space open as they are taking up one of my full time spaces.

karen m
08-08-2013, 09:26 PM
I am like quality are , I charger for hours I have 1 lo 5 days fro 8.30 till 1.30 every other week but I don't charge anything they week she doesn't come I just enjoy the time with the ones I do have , I chose to accept those hours

jax clinch
09-08-2013, 04:03 AM
I have a shift worker and again just charge the hours they come. They email me the dates months in advance so I can work round them.