PDA

View Full Version : Help please

leah.kyranidis
07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
How to deal with a 7 ware old that keeps lying to me!
Everytime he does something naughty he comes and tells me some made up story about how it wasn't him but it was my 2 year old son! Luckily a lot of the time my 4 year daughter is usually there to see what actually happens but I'm starting to get really tired of the lying now!

Any advise on how to deal with this please?

Thanks Leah

kellyskidz!
07-08-2013, 12:00 PM
2 words... Santa's watching
He doesn't like liars
Lol, works a treat for my daughter:thumbsup:
Seriously though when you catch him lying say I won't be cross at you if you don't lie to me, if you've done something wrong you must know not to do it but lying is not good.
Ask him why he's lying, is he scared of your reaction? Is it a habit? Ask mum if he's the same at home and how she deals with it.
Good luck xx

Bumble Beez
07-08-2013, 02:08 PM
If you get any good suggestions then I'm gonna give them a go too...I've got two who I care for at the moment who tell fibs...even if I see them do something I get told 'it wasn't me' or 'I didn't do it' ...sigh...

Sarah x

doris127
07-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I've got 1 too. She'll basically say anything she thinks I want to hear. However, her 4 year old sister is brutally honest so she usually gets found out! The older sister is finding things hard just now as her little sister is now thinking for herself in games and it leads to a lot of arguments - usually with a shout of "X isn't letting me have my ideas!" When questioning the older one denies everything whereas the younger one will tell you if it was her. Mum has told older one there is a spot on her tongue if she is fibbing. She still kind of believes it so if you ask her to stick out her tongue she refuses if she's fibbing. I don't think she'll believe it for much longer so will watch the thread for ideas!

FloraDora
07-08-2013, 03:17 PM
I have found reading the story " The boy who cries wolf" sometimes works because it opens up the opportunity to talk about why he might lie .
Also Finding lots of opportunity to Praise honesty, then he will link a nice feeling with not telling lies.
Sometimes being a bit overboard in encouraging and positiveness whenever the children tell the truth and praise them for being honest.
Eventually it might sink in that he gets a more positive reaction when he tells the truth.

Not a problem that can be resolved overnight though so I appreciate the difficulties you are having. :)

Chatterbox Childcare
07-08-2013, 05:51 PM
I gave up asking and being lied to so now I say "go and sit at the table (something he hates as others are playing) and when you can tell me the truth we can talk again. Sometimes children lie because they know they are going to be in trouble and on occasion I put in "I am not angry with you and there won't be any punishment, I would just like the truth please".

It doesn't take too many visits to the table to sort this out.