PDA

View Full Version : Reception child

maisiemog
07-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Am I right in thinking that when a child starts in reception they stop being one of our EY children? Does this mean no more LJs or obs etc or do we still do them in reception?

It's just that my one EY mindee leaves tomorrow and won't come back until they are in full time school. They are away for the rest of the holidays and I've taken the first two weeks of sept off to give my DD full attention as she starts school.

Also means I'm now off work until mid sept, with the exception of a few settling in days for my new mindees. So can I send the LJ home now? I don't want to send it home and then need it as I'm overdue my inspection.

Oh and do I need to inform ofsted I'm not minding early years children now? I don't want to give up my early years registration as I think after I've got all the things I need to do done I will miss my little ones and take a few on next year.

kellyskidz!
07-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Yes that's right, once they are in full time education (reception) they are classed as an over 5
I was unsure too as my dd was in reception but wasn't 5 until August, nearly a year but its right, once they start school they're classed as an over 5 and yes they do all their EY work and their own version of a learning journal with them but you need to show you're still working with the eyfs and supporting development, maybe with a simple scrapbook of artwork, obs etc but not as in detail as a full LJ
You could send LJ home so it's done but keep a copy of important things and evidence of some work, so if OFSTED do come you can have like a mock up LJ with examples of what you have done.
Re informing OFSTED, I don't think you have to tell them if you're not minding EY children, especially if you intend to if you get enquiries but I may be wrong xx

Goatgirl
07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi :),
They count as over 5 once in full time school for purposes of numbers/ratios, but you still have eyfs obligations to the child until the 31st august after their 5th birthday. The new EYFS though, makes it easier to do less in the way of eyfs planning, as you are now effectively providing wrap around care, so the bulk will fall to the school.

Learning journeys are not compulsory anyway, so its up to you whether you decide to keep that as your medium for recording obs and progress or do something else, such a scrap book or just make notes in a diary/ keep it all in your head etc :thumbsup:

You don't need to tell Ofsted you have no little ones currently, but if they ring to arrange an inspection, they will ask you and as you have no children home during the day they will very likely ask you to ring them when you do have pre school children on your books again. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

maisiemog
09-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks, I have sent the LJ home with them and will start a scrapbook like I do for my other schoolies from sept. no more EYFS for me now....well not like it used to be anyway!!!!!