PDA

View Full Version : Had a great day!

pinklady756
06-08-2013, 08:48 PM
First day working with my new assistant, technically half day as we finished at 2pm but had 6 under 5's between us and it was lovely. (Will normally only be 4 under 5 and a couple after school).

It was wonderful to have an extra pair of hands and much easier at snack/lunch time. A bit of adult company is lovely and the kids have taken to her straight away. She's fit right in and it couldn't have gone better, I'm chuffed to bits!! :jump for joy:

After a rough couple of weeks with parents changing plans last minute and the resulting financial issues that mean I can only just cover her wages, it's been worth all the hassle!!

mum26
06-08-2013, 09:08 PM
That's great to hear - I am hoping to employ an apprentice from September'ish (I have my daughter to cover as an assistant in the meantime - but she will be back to uni before long).

Is your assistant an apprentice and did you know her before she worked with you? Must admit I am a bit apprehensive about employing someone I don't know but hoping it will work out well.

smurfette
06-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Great stuff! Sounds fab

pinklady756
06-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Yes she is an apprentice (17 years old), did level 2 at college and doing level 3 with me.

I didn't know her before, she did a placement with a childminder friend of mine who recommended her. She lives in the next road which is ideal and I got a good feeling as soon as we met.

Check with your local college - ours help with advertising, finding candidates, interviewing and shortlisting - maybe yours will do the same.

I was a bit nervous about her first day, how would I feel, how would she feel etc... but so far so good.

Memina
06-08-2013, 10:40 PM
What sorts of things did you do? And would you expect her to help with planning, cooking, clearing up at the end of the day and setting up activities?

Im thinking of employing an apprentice but when I've had my mum or aunt as assistants I feel bad asking them to do stuff and end up more stressed out lol

oxfordshirecm
07-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Hi I have an assistant and she is lovely- she helps feed the babies, change their nappies, plays with the others, clears up playroom, washing up throughout the day, basically anything I ask her to do. I would ask her to do my washing etc as its not part of childminding but she does say Hoover the living room up when kids have messed it up etc. she is great. She is about to start her Nvq level 2 soon and is currently studying the eyfs so she wants to start to help with the paperwork which I am going to assign one or two children for her to be their key worker.

mum26
07-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes have contacted a local training provider and their support seems to be excellent - will advertise my vacancy, have a session at their premises to meet applicants, have supplied a copy of the contract which I can use - which seems to cover every eventuality and have given lots of advice. Just have to wait to get things moving as they need to register me with the Skills Funding Agency (?) before they can place my advert.

pinklady756
07-08-2013, 08:54 PM
We did all sorts, some paperwork - gradually working through her induction and playing with the children, getting to know each other and daily routines, how things work in my setting.

I would expect an assistant to help with all daily duties and aspects of the job, whether it's washing up/tidying, or obs/planning. As an apprentice her training is on the job and I'm teaching her too.

Far from being stressed it makes the job so much easier!! My assistant is really helpful and clears up and does things of her own accord, don't have to ask - which is the awkward bit I worried about. I wanted someone that could use their initiative and I've been really impressed! She's great with the kids and confidently chatted with the parent of new lo's joining soon (the family that meant I needed an assistant). I thought she might be a bit nervous but she took it in her stride, she made a great impression and it was lovely watching all the little ones making new friends.

It might be different if I was working with my sister, I'm sure we'd fall out...lol