PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a train table?!

smurfette
06-08-2013, 06:31 PM
So... The playroom overhaul saga continues! I have seen this fab train table (wooden) its the bigjigs one and I think it would be fab for trains and small world. It will fit in the middle or edge of playroom now I have sorted it but dh says he thinks its a bad idea (money not an issue as have a good deal and have sold some toys) he says he worries about the little ones pushing and shoving at it and maybe banging heads.. The corners are rounded though. I have alphabet mats on the floor to make it a safe space and I am not always in there with them though in ear shot .. Any opinions? Mindees are all between 17 months and 3. (Have four 17 months old in the week one of whom Isn't walking but rest are steady now)

blue bear
06-08-2013, 06:58 PM
I have one, it's been in the loft since Christmas, the children were asking about it yesterday so it will make a reappearance soon.
Never had any problems with bumps wtc, the children loved it especially the smaller ones as the stood against it.
I made some separate boards, so one for trains, one was a chalk board, one was a white board, one decorated like a garden for small world, one decorated like a building site. I was thinking of cutting a pice of the plastic you use for shed windows and attaching Christmas tree lights under it as a light table? Not sure it that will work.

kellib
06-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I have one that was my sons when he was younger, I have mindees ranging from 18 months to 4 years and never had a problem with the train table, apart from the younger ones constantly taking the track apart!

pinklady756
06-08-2013, 07:49 PM
I have a small one (half size of some of the bigger ones), and no issues with it at all. It has a reversible top painted one side for trains, and lego plates on the other.

Kids from 18 months - 10 years love it!!!

smurfette
06-08-2013, 08:14 PM
And do you have to use the train in a set pattern? Apparently this fits all wooden trains

Thanks a mil for the advice, reckon I can always sell it on if I hate it!!

pinklady756
06-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Mine is just a board (painted with trees and pond etc) it's only small and fits figure of 8 track easily. The bigger ones should fit much bigger and varied tracks. A friend had a big one with some pieces already fixed to it, so track obviously had to join to those. Not sure if it came like that or previous owner glued them on.

Sorry probably not very helpful.

lilac_dragon
06-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Los love ours, we have roads and trees and pond painted on it and the train track fits however we want to lay it out. At times we also put on a small Dolls House and some painted boxes to represent shops etc to turn it into a Village.

It's also good for Blow Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some straws and a ping pong ball and away you go.

smurfette
06-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Los love ours, we have roads and trees and pond painted on it and the train track fits however we want to lay it out. At times we also put on a small Dolls House and some painted boxes to represent shops etc to turn it into a Village.

It's also good for Blow Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some straws and a ping pong ball and away you go.

Ooh like the blow football idea!

smurfette
08-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Got it! Love it! Hit already! Just gotta keep them from climbing on it!

hectors house
08-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Thinking of making a table top with an edge on it out of plywood to fit over my existing coffee table in lounge (well getting DH to make one for me!) as the mindees love driving vehicles on the table - can't understand when there is so much floor but they just like standing up playing. Have noticed in the garden too that they play more at the raised water table than they do with the on the floor sand pit.

Chimps Childminding
08-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Thinking of making a table top with an edge on it out of plywood to fit over my existing coffee table in lounge (well getting DH to make one for me!) as the mindees love driving vehicles on the table - can't understand when there is so much floor but they just like standing up playing. Have noticed in the garden too that they play more at the raised water table than they do with the on the floor sand pit.

We find they would rather play cars/trains standing up at something than on the floor too!
Love the idea of a train table but don't have the room :(