PDA

View Full Version : Help please! Difficult parent. Advice greatly needed

bunnyjess
06-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Im a new childminder this year and I really need some advice. I've been looking after a child since the middle of July and the parent has caused me nothing but grief since she started. She constantly calls, emails and texts me demands or to change her hours. When I've had the child she's called me to ask to pick her up early which is stressing me out. She hasn't been to the setting in over a week as she went away and then had worms. She gave me her 4 weeks notice last week to end on the 23rd August. She's been paying me but today she turned up 45 minutes late and said she hasn't got the money yet. When I told her that its not acceptable to me that she's late as I've got other children to think of she said she's not sure if she's going to come back. I've explained to her that she still has to pay me for the remaining time as we have a contract but I am quite worried about this. I was just wondering what you think I should do?

dette
06-08-2013, 12:40 PM
hi x sorry youre having a difficult time
firstly did you have a settling in period in your contract,usually its 4 weeks from the start date where either party can walk away without notice.If she started mid july then this is still in that 4 week period so she wouldn't need to give notice and could just leave.
Personally I think you should count yourself lucky and let this one go.she sounds like a a real PITA She will need to pay for any days that she has used so give her a bill and send her on her way x good luck

Daisy De
06-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I was wondering the same as dette about the settling in period, mine is 4 weeks. Its only the beginning of August, the lo hasn't been there for a week and she only started in mid July, she can't have been there for many days.

If you have no settling in period then I suppose technically she should give you four weeks notice but if she is stressing you out so much after such a short time I would again agree with dette and say good luck and bye bye.

There are lots of lovely parents out there, hopefully there is one round the corner for you :D

bunnyjess
06-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Thank you for your help. No we didn't have a settling in period. I'm just a bit worried money-wise as I don't have any other children for a couple of weeks after this one. But I'm not sure if its worth me just telling her not to come back or just dealing with her for a couple more weeks?

bunnyjess
06-08-2013, 01:15 PM
She started in June sorry not July

Tazmin68
06-08-2013, 01:18 PM
As others have said if child was with me would still be within the 4 week settling in period so no notice on either side . Again i would rite off as experience.

bunnyjess
06-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Thank you for all of your advice. I've decided to cut my losses after receiving quite a nasty email. I just don't need that sort of stress.

hectors house
06-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Just reply in writing that you acknowledge her verbal and e-mailed notice to end the contract and that as it is still within the settling in period (even if you didn't officially set one) that she is free to take child away without paying any notice period and don't forget to wish her well in finding a new door mat!

bunnyjess
06-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Ha ha thank you hectors house that's a good bit of advice. Thank you everyone so much for all of your help I will be using this site much more often x

jackie 7
06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Also in your next contract make sure that you include a settling in period that gives a get out of trouble clause. I have it as the first 4 weeks of when the child takes up the place.

bunnyjess
06-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Thank you. I will definitely do that.

unalindura77
07-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Uh oh I think this is why I'll be asking for a months deposit, for this kind of scenario. Horrible to think that this happens and from what I've read it happens a lot, people think that because it's a childminder they can get away with not paying as they know it probably wont be worth it to fight it through the courts. Annoying.