PDA

View Full Version : Help with what other LAs are doing about free-entitlement

06-08-2013, 10:13 AM
As I am still complaining about Northamptonshire not following the new Statutory Guidance from Sept '13 I have been asked to provide evidence that other LAs are "automatically" opening up their free funding arrangements for 2.3 and 4 year olds.

If your LA is (perhaps with some strings attached but no network/accreditation requirements) could you let me know which LA you are in, what conditions are attached and if there is a link to a website I can use as evidence.

I know some of you have posted this already but I am trying to list some of the co-operative LAs and want as many as possible!

Many thanks in advance

Anni

Tazmin68
06-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I am getting a little annoyed with Birmingham i am acrdited anyway but what annoys me is that parents have a declaration form to complete we are able to offer 2 year funded places but the only declaration form states 3/4 years as it is last years god knows when have correct forms as new term is only weeks away!!
Last year despite supposed to be able t offer 15 hours over 2"days LA kept saying no cannot offer it. I lost business because of this and yet in the October they suddenly said yes we could. As usual couldn't organise the perverb
By not using the correct forms it is us who get pulled up by ofsted if inspected not LA

AliceK
06-08-2013, 12:10 PM
I called my LA a month or so ago and was told what I already knew, had to be part of the network, I asked them if this would be changing with the changes coming in Sept but they couldn't answer. Tried to call them again today seeing as it all comes into effect next month but no answer. I'll keep trying.

xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
06-08-2013, 04:59 PM
I don't think this will happen quickly.

My LA said things were in place and that was 2 months ago. No the directive has come from the Government there isn't enough money to run it in my LA so more money has to be applied for and the Committee that can say yes or no isn't sitting until September, too late for me.

06-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have just had a reply to my complaint to Northants and it looks like childminders will be able to access funding if good/outstanding without needing to be accredited etc. I can't believe it yet and they are updating their website next week including the application to join the scheme and the provider agreement so I will be checking that to make sure they comply with the guidance before dropping my complaint completely.

This means though that I can't take my complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman -as if they are fully complying and for the 1st Sept I have no grounds for the complaint.

If you are having trouble complain, complain and complain again, say you are taking it to the LGO which councils usually try to avoid and they will eventually have to give in. Good luck!

Chatterbox Childcare
06-08-2013, 05:17 PM
This is what I got:

We as a Local Authority have only just rec’d this guidance and at this moment we are looking into the best way to proceed with this.

As this is such short notice and will have an impact on the current budget which has been set for this year we will need to consult with the finance team. Who would then need to submit new budget proposals to Schools Forum, as this is the procedure for funding which is offered through the dedicated schools grant. Schools Forum usually meet on a termly basis and I believe the next meeting is not planned until September.

Also processes will need to be put into place to deliver this, all of which takes time.

With all of this in mind we will more than likely need to consult with childminders and other agencies regarding a planned timescale for this.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have just had a reply to my complaint to Northants and it looks like childminders will be able to access funding if good/outstanding without needing to be accredited etc. I can't believe it yet and they are updating their website next week including the application to join the scheme and the provider agreement so I will be checking that to make sure they comply with the guidance before dropping my complaint completely.

This means though that I can't take my complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman -as if they are fully complying and for the 1st Sept I have no grounds for the complaint.

If you are having trouble complain, complain and complain again, say you are taking it to the LGO which councils usually try to avoid and they will eventually have to give in. Good luck!

Well done you - is it written anywhere that they have to do this by 1st September?

06-08-2013, 05:34 PM
The Statutory Guidance has to be in place for Sept '13, this is the date given on the guidance but it was published a few weeks ago. If your LA does not make it possible for all good/outstanding cms to access funding with fairly minimal paperwork etc then it is not following the guidance. Apparently because it is Statutory the LGO and courts see it as "what you must do" unless there is a very good reason not to. Which is up to any LA choosing not to follow it to prove.
I know they are being awkward as this means they can retain less funding and it could mean the loss of some jobs but it could also mean cms are more sustainable and better funded so parents/children have more choice. I would tell any difficult LA you want compensation for loss of earnings if they don't comply with it and parents may also think about claiming if they are unable to find a provider who meets their needs e.g. long hours so nursery no good, and they can't use their free funding at their childminder who does meet their needs because the LA isn't following the guidance and isn't allowing all childminders ( with good and above) to access funding. They will dismiss you but this together with going to the LGO may persuade them to rethink.

Simona
06-08-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't think this will happen quickly.

My LA said things were in place and that was 2 months ago. No the directive has come from the Government there isn't enough money to run it in my LA so more money has to be applied for and the Committee that can say yes or no isn't sitting until September, too late for me.

The funding for 2 year olds is in place...each LA will know exactly how many children need to be funded because it is the DfE who tells them

Sadly many LAs are trying to delay what in the end is going to be something the DfE will make them do anyway

I rember very well at the pacey London event the DfE guy saying: 'if the LAs don't do it we will make them'...well the Guidance is Statutory so I doubt the LAs will be able to breach the law.

I feel another letter may be on the way to the DfE again so they stop this nonsense!