PDA

View Full Version : please please please remind me never to mind schoolies again!!!!!!!

ziggy
05-08-2013, 08:51 PM
first day back today after 2 weeks off.

Had family of 3 schoolies (11, 9 and nearly 8yrs old) plus their cousin (nearly 3yrs) and baby (7months).

Easy enough day as 3yr old left after lunch, baby slept lots (as usual) and schoolies werent really any bother BUT I just find it so stressful. If i could have one age group or the other i wouldnt mind, just cant manage such a wide age group.

So please, please, please remind me next May when mummy starts asking ( hols start end of June here) that I really dont like it and extra money just isnt worth the hassle.

Schoolies away now for 2 weeks so can just enjoy my little ones and my lovely grandaughter who is staying till weekend:jump for joy::jump for joy::jump for joy:

Mrs Scrubbit
05-08-2013, 09:16 PM
I know what you mean, I haven't had school aged children for 7yrs now and don,t miss them at all!xxx

Joda
05-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Yes I know what you mean too! Finding activities etc suitable for all ages can be a nightmare. (I'm always envious of people who work term time only!)

kimnolan87
06-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Oh tell me about it - similar situation to you: 3 siblings - twins at 4 and their 5 year old brother plus an almost 2 yr old and a 19 month old!

Usually it's not too bad, but some activities are only suitable for when the babies aren't around and the schoolies are getting fed up with having to wait until the babies sleep or a rare day that I don't have any babies!!!!

I do enjoy being able to do different activities with the older children though - just depends on their mood and behaviour as they can be difficult at times!!!! Xxx

Chimps Childminding
06-08-2013, 06:20 AM
I don't often have my schoolie, as she has 2 younger brothers that I look after so it works out quite expensive. She usually goes to nan, auntie, friend, however I have got her today (7 years old), together with her 2 brothers 1 and 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old cousin - gonna be fun - hope it stays nice :eek:

I too would prefer to have one age group of another. Miss having the older ones (2 didn't cme back after my op) as I loved doing crafts with them (lo's bit young and concentration span of a gnat :() but don't miss them moaning because lo's have wrecked their den or spoilt their game!!!

JCrakers
06-08-2013, 07:04 AM
I know exactly how you feel. Ive just returned from a 2 week break and yesterday I only had a 7yr old, 3yr old and an 18m. The 7yr old was such hard work and although I only had him 9-3pm I felt so down.

Problem is I have him for 4 weeks solid everyday...:panic: Plus a 9yr old boy t,w,th for 3 weeks for 9hrs a day

Next holidays Im really going to have to do something about it

lynncjt
06-08-2013, 07:10 AM
I feel for you!

I've been very lucky these holidays as my youngest has been 4 so can join in the activities with the older ones and it's all working pretty well! Just have 2 days per week which are harder as have siblings of 7 and 10, but it's only 2 days each week so can cope!

ziggy
06-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Just hope i remember how difficult it is when next summer arrives.

Only have them now for last 2 wks of hols and hopefully only 2 days on each of the weeks.

It's hard to say No, especially when family are such good family friends BUT got to be strong next year, it just never works.

Anyway I only have baby full days for rest of week and 3yr old each morning so should be easy week;)

Chatterbox Childcare
06-08-2013, 09:11 AM
I think the secret to older children is let them tell you what they want to do, don't organise activities for them. Outings are great, especially with the hot weather.

Mine did playdough, puzzles, board games, trip to the park, reading and a dvd yesterday

Today we are strawberry picking and then painting this afternoon when the little ones are asleep.

The lego is out constantly and they love the army men, boys and girls

jax clinch
06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't have anything set out for older children they tend to lead their own play. To day they have played in the paddling pool, made a mud bath, watched a bit of telly, played a board game and now they are role playing in the garden whilst the youngest sleeps. When she wakes up we will try and make some stepping stones in the garden with pebbles and grout. Think they will be ready for something more focused by then! I tend to plan for the under 5s and the older children enjoy joining in with that eg had a tray of water beads, frozen water bombs with water beads in and the older children were more interested than the younger ones.

CH1957
06-08-2013, 01:22 PM
They eat you out of house and home too!! We've been to the park for 5 hours today, took a picnic etc and they did nothing but moan that they were hungry, or argued, the whole time we were out, I'm only doing it this week as a favour, I usually only have the younger two but nanny couldn't have older ones this week. Never again, I'm exhausted.

ziggy
06-08-2013, 06:20 PM
They eat you out of house and home too!! We've been to the park for 5 hours today, took a picnic etc and they did nothing but moan that they were hungry, or argued, the whole time we were out, I'm only doing it this week as a favour, I usually only have the younger two but nanny couldn't have older ones this week. Never again, I'm exhausted.

thankfully all mine, whatever age, bring their own food.

Must admit I had a lovely day today with just 2 little ones, only had baby this afternoon so along with my grandaughter we took dog to grooming parlour then went for afternoon tea, pure heaven

samb
06-08-2013, 08:16 PM
My own children are 5 and 7 so I have to have school aged children. It is hard as I need to keep a closer eye on the younger ones so mine can feel left out or get upset that they can't have whatever toy they like out (like little lego for example). My mindee schoolies are term time with ad hoc in the holidays. They are all lovely and I generally only have 1 at a time so it's not too difficult from that point of view - other than they are less used to having little ones around than mine. Ok - yes it is all hard lol!