PDA

View Full Version : EYPS

jax clinch
05-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Hello ... To complete EYPS or not??? Any of you who have done it is it worth it? Has it benefitted your career? A bit undecided what to do!! Thanks x

Samcat
05-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Has it been of benefit to me personally, yes. It gave me a thorough grounding in all aspects of child development, safeguarding, CPD, the EYFS, keeping up with what's going on, evaluating, adapting and changing, improving. I'm a lot more confident in what I do, how I approach it and, as I've become more experienced since doing it, more confident in showing I know what I'm doing.
Has it been of benefit to my career? In the long run yes. I got a job as a nursery room leader partially due to having EYPS, but I never felt I was 'used' to full advantage. I made changes and improvements to my room, but my knowledge wasn't used elsewhere. When people were shown around the nursery I was always introduced as 'our EYP', so it felt a bit like being a token to show off they actually had one sometimes! I got paid slightly more than the others due to being an EYP.
When I set up as a CM I was able to bring what I knew with me, so the transition was smooth and I'm happier working for myself.
A lot of people, in the school I was working at whilst studying, the nurseries and others - family and friends, would look at me and go 'huh?' when I said what I was studying/had achieved. I don't know if this has changed hugely since I did it 3 years ago.
I tell parents I'm an EYP (when I remember to!) and always have to explain what it is. I think the change to Early Years Teacher (EYT) makes this slightly easier as everyone understands what 'teacher' conveys. Though whether you're an EYP or an EYT, you'll never get the benefits or recognition of QTS!

jax clinch
05-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Has it been of benefit to me personally, yes. It gave me a thorough grounding in all aspects of child development, safeguarding, CPD, the EYFS, keeping up with what's going on, evaluating, adapting and changing, improving. I'm a lot more confident in what I do, how I approach it and, as I've become more experienced since doing it, more confident in showing I know what I'm doing.
Has it been of benefit to my career? In the long run yes. I got a job as a nursery room leader partially due to having EYPS, but I never felt I was 'used' to full advantage. I made changes and improvements to my room, but my knowledge wasn't used elsewhere. When people were shown around the nursery I was always introduced as 'our EYP', so it felt a bit like being a token to show off they actually had one sometimes! I got paid slightly more than the others due to being an EYP.
When I set up as a CM I was able to bring what I knew with me, so the transition was smooth and I'm happier working for myself.
A lot of people, in the school I was working at whilst studying, the nurseries and others - family and friends, would look at me and go 'huh?' when I said what I was studying/had achieved. I don't know if this has changed hugely since I did it 3 years ago.
I tell parents I'm an EYP (when I remember to!) and always have to explain what it is. I think the change to Early Years Teacher (EYT) makes this slightly easier as everyone understands what 'teacher' conveys. Though whether you're an EYP or an EYT, you'll never get the benefits or recognition of QTS!

I've got a degree in early years teaching and taught for 10 years but things have changed a lot so don't know if its worth doing it as a refresher and develop in this area even more?? Thanks for your info x