PDA

View Full Version : Playing out in the village?

jax clinch
05-08-2013, 04:28 PM
What rules do other people have about childminding children playing away from the house? We live in a small village and my own children have just started going to and from their friends houses independent of a grown up, but always in a group of 2 or more. I have had permission from a parent about her 11 year son and 9 year daughter being allowed to do the same as long as they return at times I've told them to and stay within the parameters set! Should I get her to put it in writing? It's the first holidays I have minded older children!!! X

donna porter
05-08-2013, 04:36 PM
My social worker told me that the children I mind are to be under my supervision at all times so I don't let any away from the house. :-)

funemnx
05-08-2013, 04:36 PM
I have put this in writing, we live in a village and back on to the local park so the children were allowed to play in the park as long as they had a mobile with them (because they always forgot the time!) it worked well and they always came back to ask if they could go to the shop. I put in the letter that I was not responsible for any injuries that occured while they were not in my sight. I have to admit to being very nervous about this arrangement but their previous childminder had done the same and I felt I had to continue...

littlemiss60561
05-08-2013, 05:50 PM
I don't know the law on this, but I certainly wouldn't allow it with my older ones. I worry enough if their at different ends of a play park! Doesn't the same rule apply that children must be within sight and/ or sound at all times? Being in a village would make no difference to me. And we are responsible regardless of parental signatures surely? All mine say let them on the trampoline if under 6, but I won't as insurance wise it means diddly squat what the parents say.

miffy
05-08-2013, 05:50 PM
I would not do this - you can't be responsible for a child when you don't know where they are or what they're doing whether parents give permission or not. I am sure there is something about minded children being within your sight or hearing at all times. If anything happened to the child then I don't think you would be covered by your insurance.

Miffy xx

sarah707
05-08-2013, 06:11 PM
You are responsible - and a permission signature is worth diddly squat if the child goes missing or is hurt on your time :(

moggy
05-08-2013, 06:12 PM
I would not do this - you can't be responsible for a child when you don't know where they are or what they're doing whether parents give permission or not. I am sure there is something about minded children being within your sight or hearing at all times. If anything happened to the child then I don't think you would be covered by your insurance.

Miffy xx

I agree, absolutely no way, I'm afraid.
How ever much you 'trust' the children or whatever is 'signed' by parents (just because a parent has said it is OK does not make it OK... we see all kinds of daft things on this forum that parents had 'asked' CMs to do!) you are responsible for the those children and you can not do that if you can neither see nor hear them.
Would you be able to live with the consequences if something happened?
It is tempting to do, and very hard to say no to if they expect it and see others doing it, but when at a CM it is the CM who needs to be looking out for them at all times.
Anything could happen- accident, bullying, silly ideas from other children, dares that go wrong, approached by inappropriate others (adults or children) etc etc etc.
If you want to check for sure then ask your insurance company- I would be amazed if they would cover you in these circumstances.

CLL
05-08-2013, 06:51 PM
I would never do this. How can they be in your care if you are not with them. You are not a friend or relative just watching their child you are a childcare provider. Imagine if an after school club let the kids walk the streets instead of being on school grounds. They are your responsibility, say no to them and their parents.

FizzWizz
05-08-2013, 07:17 PM
As others have said, absolutely no way! No matter how responsible the children are they could seriously hurt themselves as well as the fact that you don't know what strangers are hanging around if out of sight. Totally agree with being in sight or ear shot at all times!

donna porter
06-08-2013, 05:48 AM
I was asked by a parent to let her 5 year old out the front !! I said no and that social services wouldn't allow me. My own two boys play out the front (6&8) but I'm extra cautious with other people's children .

donna porter
06-08-2013, 05:50 AM
I was asked by a parent to let her 5 year old out the front !! I said no and that social services wouldn't allow me. My own two boys play out the front (6&8) but I'm extra cautious with other people's children .

Sorry that was meant to say (6 & 8) don't know where that smiley came from!!! Lol

donna porter
06-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Sorry that was meant to say (6 & 8) don't know where that smiley came from!!! Lol

Rrrrrrrrrgh Eight!!!!!!!!!! Eight!!!! Eight!!!!

Bumble Beez
06-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Rrrrrrrrrgh Eight!!!!!!!!!! Eight!!!! Eight!!!!

Lol!! Damn technology :laughing:

Sarah x

Mouse
06-08-2013, 06:47 AM
I have put this in writing, we live in a village and back on to the local park so the children were allowed to play in the park as long as they had a mobile with them (because they always forgot the time!) it worked well and they always came back to ask if they could go to the shop. I put in the letter that I was not responsible for any injuries that occured while they were not in my sight. I have to admit to being very nervous about this arrangement but their previous childminder had done the same and I felt I had to continue...

Did you check with your insurance provider that a letter from a parent was enough? What if the child caused damage to someone's property? Would you or the parent be responsible?

miffy
06-08-2013, 07:19 AM
I think 3.27 (page 18) of the Statutory Framework covers this

"Providers must ensure that children are adequately supervised................... Children must usually be within sight and hearing of staff and always within sight or hearing."

If you don't meet the welfare requirements then you won't be insured either.

Miffy xx

Bumble Beez
06-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Personally I don't allow it...although I understand some of the older ones frustration when my older sons, who are 8 and 10, go out with friends to the park or on their bikes and they have to stay in the garden with me :)

Sarah x

Daisy De
06-08-2013, 07:32 AM
I just couldn't do it personally, I couldn't cope with not knowing exactly where they were or exactly what they are doing, maybe I have a paranoid suspicious mind!

ziggy
06-08-2013, 07:33 AM
I can see why minders cant/wont allow children to play outside on street but i do think it is a shame that schoolies arent able to have a bit of freedom.

I live in a little cul-de-sac of 6houses off another cul-de-sac (if that makes sense). 2 of my ex-mindees live 2 doors away and 2 other families are always out playing. I now sit in front garden with little ones so i can see and hear schoolies playing out at all times. It wouldnt be any different than being in the park.

BUT I do feel for the 11yr old and 9yr old that they cant stay out unless i'm out with them. The older boy is off to senior school in a town 24 miles away in September and he needs to learn about being responsible crossing roads etc but wont learn that shut up in my house or garden.

On the other hand I understand the dangers and can see why insurers wouldnt be happy to provide cover, just saying how sad it is really.

I wouldnt be happy to allow mindees out and about in village where I cant see them but think it would be nice if children could play out on the street

karen m
06-08-2013, 08:44 AM
I would never let children out on their own but I suppose if your in the garden and they are in the street and you can see them that would be fine

ziggy
06-08-2013, 08:54 AM
only let the 3 over 7's out and i can see them at all times.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-08-2013, 09:06 AM
I allow over 8's outside with parental permission and specific barriers to where they can go. I can see them at all times

BUT

please please anyone, check with your insurance. MM DID NOT cover me for this and so I changed to PACEY insurance. They are supposed to have the same insurance cover but MM would not say in writing that I was covered, exactly the opposite